Son of Beast gone, Yes or No?

Beast1979

In light of the recent news of Son of Beast's closure, possibly for a long period of time, I wanted to get this poll in to see where everyone stands on this. McSalsa's poll on Son of Beast focused more on ratings, this is more pass-fail type.

From posts in the topic it would seem there is more Son of Beast lovers then haters, although a lot of people I talk to do not like it at all, so I just want to get solid numbers in.

• Like 1

i don't see it being closed within the next five years, i mean come on ttd has alot of downtime and it's not even a record holder anymore and Cedar Fair has kept it so far, and Son of Beast still holds atleast 2 records so unless some major wooden roller coaster comes along and dethrones Son of Beast i don't see Cedar Fair removing it.

Son of Beast is a great coaster, and after the accident on it, it appears to be getting some of it's popularity back. I know you can't base popularity on line length, but I'm just comparing times. When it first reopened after the accident it didn't usually have much of a line, normally like 5-15 minutes. Now it has about a 40-60 minute wait, so therefore the popularity has increased.

I really don't want it closed or removed, it's a fun ride and it's record breaking. So, I am a SoB lover, not a hater. B)

I do not understand the "it hurts so I won't ride it" excuse. It's a wooden coaster that goes extremely fast and is extremely tall. Of course it will be a bit rough. But that doesn't mean it's not fun. I don't see how you guys think it will be gone in the next five years. I don't see it happening. It is probably my second favorite coaster behind Diamondback, and if it is taken out, my visits to KI will decrease heavily.

I know you can't base popularity on line length, but I'm just comparing it.

5-15 minutes....Now it has about a 40-60 minute wait

so therefore the popularity has increased.

Umm........ok.....you just contradicted yourself.

Ummm........no I didn't. I wasn't saying "Son of Beast has a 45 minute wait, so it must be popular" I was comparing the wait time from when it first opened after the accident, to the wait times it has currently. And that time has increased so therefore the popularity has increased.

I do not understand the "it hurts so I won't ride it" excuse. It's a wooden coaster that goes extremely fast and is extremely tall. Of course it will be a bit rough. But that doesn't mean it's not fun. I don't see how you guys think it will be gone in the next five years. I don't see it happening. It is probably my second favorite coaster behind Diamondback, and if it is taken out, my visits to KI will decrease heavily.

neither do i, but it shocks me when people i take to Kings Island won't ride it because they heard from their friends, brother's, friend's uncle that five people have fell off of the loop when the train jumped the track and slammed threw the lift hill and went into the midway where the train then ran over twenty people and slid into the middle of i-71 where it got hit by a simi.

I do not understand the "it hurts so I won't ride it" excuse.

What's not to understand? I will not put my hand on a burning stove, because it hurts. I will not sit on a bed of nails, because it hurts. I will not ride Son of Beast, because it hurts! I am not saying Son of Beast is a pain to the intensity of a burning stove or a bed of nails, but it hurts. Why would I do something that hurts?

Ummm........no I didn't. I wasn't saying "Son of Beast has a 45 minute wait, so it must be popular" I was comparing the wait time from when it first opened after the accident, to the wait times it has currently. And that time has increased so therefore the popularity has increased.

Umm, you said

I know you can't base popularity on line length,
then you said that because the line has gone from 5-15 minutes to 40-60 minutes that it must be more popular. Call me crazy, but I call that contradictory.

Umm, you said
I know you can't base popularity on line length,
then you said that because the line has gone from 5-15 minutes to 40-60 minutes that it must be more popular. Call me crazy, but I call that contradictory.

Well, I don't want to argue with you, so it will be my last post on that subject. I was saying you CANNOT base ride popularity ALONE on a ride's wait time. Even if SoB has a longer wait time than The Beast, it doesn't mean it is more popular, it just means it has a slower capacity. However when looking at Son of Beast's wait time after it reopened from the accident and it only had a 5-15 minute wait, then comparing Son of Beast's current usual wait time of about 40-60 minutes you can conclude that the popularity has increased because the capacity sure hasn't magically changed.

I don't think it will be removed in the next 5 Years, and I hope it doesn't. I love Son of Beast, it's one of my favorite Coasters at KI. The helices are forceful and twice as good as Beast's (Which is amazing though.) All you people who are saying they want SOB to be removed, do you consider yourself a Coaster Enthusiast? No Coaster Enthusiast would want to See a Coaster removed. Sure they may not like it alot, but if your an enthusiast, Than It's not all about how it rides. You love seeing it in the skyline when you approach the park. You love being in Action Zone and hears it's roar, and hear the Anti Roll Back System. Take Backlot for example. It's my least favorite Coaster at KI (I'm not counting Lil Bill and Reptar.) But I love Being on the Eiffel Tower and hearing the noises it makes, sure it ruins the atmosphere and It replaced two awesome rides I'd much rather have. But I wouldn't want to see it be removed, Because I love hearing it.

And Son of Beast is NOT horribly painful. If you can't handle the tiny bit of pain it has, how do you ride other Coasters? And if you want an even smoother ride, sit in front, and don't lean back against the seat. And Some people have said "It's bad if you have to ride a certain way to ride a Coaster." Well on Vortex, to have an extra good ride you sit in 7-1 and have your OTSR lose. On Racer and Beast you don't sit on a wheel. On Diamondback you sit in the very front or towards the back for a certain kind of airtime. On Top Gun you sit in the front so you swing more. See, on just about every coaster there is a certain way and seat to ride to provide a better ride.

• Like 1

All you people who are saying they want SOB to be removed, do you consider yourself a Coaster Enthusiast? No Coaster Enthusiast would want to See a Coaster removed.

I consider myself an enthusiast, and i'd love to see it removed on the condition that CF uses the land wisely and adds a coaster that's worth having.

• Like 1

I don't think it will be removed in the next 5 Years, and I hope it doesn't. I love Son of Beast, it's one of my favorite Coasters at KI. The helices are forceful and twice as good as Beast's (Which is amazing though.) All you people who are saying they want SOB to be removed, do you consider yourself a Coaster Enthusiast? No Coaster Enthusiast would want to See a Coaster removed. Sure they may not like it alot, but if your an enthusiast, Than It's not all about how it rides. You love seeing it in the skyline when you approach the park. You love being in Action Zone and hears it's roar, and hear the Anti Roll Back System. Take Backlot for example. It's my least favorite Coaster at KI (I'm not counting Lil Bill and Reptar.) But I love Being on the Eiffel Tower and hearing the noises it makes, sure it ruins the atmosphere and It replaced two awesome rides I'd much rather have. But I wouldn't want to see it be removed, Because I love hearing it.

And Son of Beast is NOT horribly painful. If you can't handle the tiny bit of pain it has, how do you ride other Coasters? And if you want an even smoother ride, sit in front, and don't lean back against the seat. And Some people have said "It's bad if you have to ride a certain way to ride a Coaster." Well on Vortex, to have an extra good ride you sit in 7-1 and have your OTSR lose. On Racer and Beast you don't sit on a wheel. On Diamondback you sit in the very front or towards the back for a certain kind of airtime. On Top Gun you sit in the front so you swing more. See, on just about every coaster there is a certain way and seat to ride to provide a better ride.

1. I consider myself an enthusiast, and I want it gone. It is not fun to ride. There are other, better, things that can go there. I want it gone.

2. Yes, Son of Beast IS horribly painful. I don't, just plain DO NOT understand, how some people can find it a little bit painful while others find it horribly painful.

3. On the coasters you quoted, those are to have enhanced ride. And then, it's only sitting in one seat or loosen one restraint. On Son of Beast, it's a practical guide. And, it's to make sure that not that you have an enhanced ride, but a tolerable ride!

• Like 1

2. I don't, just plain DO NOT understand, how some people can find it a little bit painful while others find it horribly painful.

just like i just told you on facebook, it's all about your pain toleration, some people, like me, have a very high toleration for pain, while others don't.

just a question, how many times have you rode Son of Beast?

Plain and simple I don't want it gone... however, if the downtime is because of another major issue I could see it finally get cut. I love the ride and will ride it in any seat at any time. The ride has always been in the middle of a love/hate argument, and will most likely always be that way. It is sometimes hard to see the others side, but some of us love the ride. It hurts when people down something I feel so strongly for... I deal with this all the time. Rooting for the underdog is fun though, especially when the certain underdog broke your fear of coasters.

• Like 1

I have been on many different wooden coasters... IMO SOB is the worst one have ridden. Nothing is fun about it. When it had the loop it was just ok.

Sure its the tallest and fastest, but that does not translate into fun! It beats the living hell out of you!

If any of you have the means drive to Holiday World and ride theirs. The Voyage beats the hell out of ya but it is the most insane thing i have ever ridden.

I do not wanna see any coaster torn down, but there is just too much going against this ride... Think of what KI could do in the space that would be freed up... How about a dueling GCI? Gravity Group? Anything they would put in would be an upgrade to SOB.

• Like 1

Would I miss SOB? Not at all. I'll never ride it again. But I'll never "hope" that they remove a coaster. That ride was an enormous investment for the park, and it'll be another investment just to remove it. I don't think there's a chance that they take it down.

I do not understand the "it hurts so I won't ride it" excuse.

What's not to understand? I will not put my hand on a burning stove, because it hurts. I will not sit on a bed of nails, because it hurts. I will not ride Son of Beast, because it hurts! I am not saying Son of Beast is a pain to the intensity of a burning stove or a bed of nails, but it hurts. Why would I do something that hurts?

A-FREAKING-MEN! Thank you Jackson for putting into words what i've been trying to express for years!

Do I want it gone? Yes.

Do I think it will be going anywhere? No.

Ditto. yeah it'd be sad to see it go.. but i think the bonfire for the weenie roast would make 10 times better use for it O:)