Your Single Best/Epic Coaster Ride

gad198

Many of us have our favorite rides. Rides that, without question, immediately come to mind when the discussion of best rides come up. There are also those particular rides on those same coasters that, when conditions are right, transform a good ride into a GREAT ride and make for an unbelievable experience. This poll is all about the stories we have for that one ride that stands out above the rest.

My defining ride was on the Voyage during this years Holiwood Nights. The Voyage is my #1 and provides great rides even during the day. This, however, was a pitch black, lightning-in-the-sky, airtime-filled speed journey through the woods. It was like being able to have an actual ride on a coaster you're dreaming about. Trains full of even the most seasoned enthusiasts were cheering and applauding after every run! I think the best part of the ride was being able to ride with someone who was riding the Voyage for the first time. I have to say that having her in my seat most of the ride was really interesting! Watching her reaction after the ride was simply priceless; a mix of exhilaration, wonder, and relief :lol: . Sometimes conditions come together just right to bring a ride up to the next level, but this ride simply zoomed from a 10 to a 15. It'll be very difficult to top those rides that night!

I can't wait to see some of your stories!

I second your entire statement about Voyage, I too was at HoliWood Nights. That coaster just totally blew me away.

On my first visit to Cedar Point, I also fell madly in love with Millennium Force. The height and speed is so extreme.. yet the layout is so smooth and exhilarating, with no trims or MCBR to slow it down or ruin it.. and it has a stellar view from the first hill. Night rides on that thing are freaking sweet.

Man, a dream finally came true on opening day of 2006. I got Vortex all to myself....TWICE! Someone told me those are called 'Zen' rides, which made me laugh, because Zen is "to be at one with" the coaster. Clever! :lol: Anyway, for the first time in my life, the thing beat the heck out of me all four times I rode it that day! Still loved it, though. Good old Vortex. It really did a number on me that year. I've lost more than 40 pounds since then, so it's a lot more fun for me to ride nowadays. Haven't had a zen ride since - on any attraction.

My single best/epic coaster ride?

The one that takes the turkey has to be Diamondback at night during Ride Warrior Coaster Weekend.

I had just gone through an amazing day, starting at 7:00 am with The Beast, riding non stop, then going on a Wal-Mart odyssey, meeting tons of great people who I'm good friends with now, and dancing the night away at the picnic pavilion. I'm surrounded by fellow coaster lovers, standing here at 11:00 at night to ride Diamondback. I waited for the front seat, it's pitch black, and it was amazing. On the first drop I was so used to seeing the train tracks and the midway and Crypt, but this time I was plunging into blackness. At the top of the second hill I could look straight on into a housing development, seeing the dimly lit homes 200 feet below me. The second drop I couldn't see a thing, and it felt like it just kept going into nothingness. At the top of the 3rd hill, you saw the menacing hammerhead turn, beautifully illuminated by the full moon in the background. I was in such a state of absolute bliss that I didn't even notice the trim. By the midcourse I could hear myself screaming "Don't let it stop, just keep going, forever!" We went through the return hills, seeing the bright lights of the night time Kings Island approaching. I almost forgot the second helix, so when I was thrown to my left I was filled with surprise. A happy surprise, remembering there is at least a little more to the ride. We coasted through the splashdown, then hit the brakes. I then realized that that ride was one of the best moments of my life, I was in a state of absolute grace. It was nothing short of amazing.

But, I've still yet to ride Voyage. :P

Drop Zone last week when it just got done raining all morning, and I was on the ride pretty much by myself (a few people were on but we had to sit on different sides, and I got 1 side to myself.) The whole park was covered in fog, the only two things above the fog was Drop Zone and Eiffel Tower. It was kinda chilly, which I like. And I got to stay on for about 10 Rides in a row. It was the best thing ever, I miss that day so much! Another time would be Son of Beast when it had the loop and I was the only person on the train... Those were that days... :(

Definetly Millennium Force during Halloweekends at night when the fog from Terror Island completely covers the ride. You can't see anything in front of you at all. It's the most amazing ride ever.

Completely agree with you, Brandon.

I remember one of my first night rides on Voyage at HoliWood Nights when the storm was rolling in. A fantastic bolt of lightning cracked the sky right before we dove into one of the tunnels. I heard several people on the train cheer, or say "Whoa!" A few even clapped. You could also see lightning reflecting off the track as we went through the course after the turnaround. That is something I will never, ever forget.

My first ride on Vortex in '93. I didn't grow up riding coasters, and the family members I was with weren't really into them, either. That thing just looked so completely insane. I just sucked it up, and it was such a feeling of accomplishment afterward. The "mental tricks" I used to ride that day gets me through new ride experiences to this day.

Oh man there is so many to pick from a whole complete mix; millie, beast and voyage but I have to go with the first time I rode Beast. My dad was stepping into his seat and my foot got stuck between the station platform and the car, my dad going crazy that it was my first trip and he didn't want to hold up the line so he quickly pulled out my foot from my shoe, dislodged my shoe and sat on it to keep it from flying away while we rode.

So yes the first time on beast I was only wearing one shoe.

I have only logged about 15 "laps" on coasters, but already I have a few "Zen" moments!

The 1st Drop on Diamondback, my very first time. I felt like I was going to fly out!

Then came the corkscrew at the end of FOF...later, on the same day.

But the one that takes the cake was my first night ride on The Beast. :wub: During the day I liked Diamondback and FOF more, but that night ride shot The Beast all the way back to #1. I have yet to ride DB at night, or Voyage, or Millie...but if anything surpasses that night ride on Beast, I will let you all know. ;)

As some know, I can be a bit of a contrarian. I do not say I believe things merely because it is popular so to do. To those people who know, the following will not in any way surprise them:

My favorite coaster ride of all time, to date, would be my first ride on Psyclone at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California. Psyclone. The wooden coaster so many enthusiasts loved to hate. Each time I would go to Magic Mountain, you see, Psyclone would see me coming, or so it seemed. It would either be closed, close as I neared it or literally close down for the day just as I was about to board it. And then it happened. I had ridden every wooden coaster in the United States at the time, except one. Yes, Psyclone. I sneaked up on it, and Psyclone for some reason let me ride it. I was both giddily happy and yet worked up to be disappointed (some call it anticipointment). About half way through the ride, I had an astounding revelation. I LOVED IT! Truly. Psyclone made weird noises no wooden coaster should ever make. It tracked wonderfully. It was fun! So much so, I must have ridden it several dozen more times that day.

And before I could get to Magic Mountain again, Six Flags destroyed the coaster.

Sigh.

My best coaster ride has to be my first ride on Vortex, also my first looping coaster ever. Me and my cousin, also a first-time looping roller coaster rider, were in the same row, scared to death. Somehow my aunt and my mom got me to get on the ride.. I'm still not sure how but I am very, very thankful! As we went up the chain lift, the sky was overcast and as we slowly ascended to the top, my mind couldn't help from gazing out to my right to look at the countless inversions I was about to face... and somehow the fear completly vanished as I saw the true beauty of all those wicked inversions. The park was empty, and through-out that wonderful day I rode Vortex 12 times, a few of them back-to-back. That ride was simply amazing.

my first ride on top thrill dragster, it was '07 and i was so excited to be back up at Cedar Point for my second visit ever. we had just rode maverick and it started pouring rain, so we rode the train until the rain stopped, then we headed to get in line for top thrill, since the rain had stopped they started drying the track for it and it took two or three rollbacks before the train finally made it over, and i must say i was so excited to ride ttd, but after i saw a rollback i was so excited that i just couldn't stand it anymore. they opened the line back up and i waited for about 15 minutes for the middle of the train, and i must say the lauch was so amazing that i couldn't talk for about three minutes. as soon as my train stopped and the restraints lifted i sprinted to get back in line and rode it four more times.

greatest steel coaster ever!!!

I have four rides that stand out:

4. My first night ride on Diamondback. I had read on here that you couldn't see the track in some sections. I didn't believe it. BOY, was I wrong!

3. My first ride on Maverick. It was the coaster that made me realize how much I enjoy being thrown from side-to-side while riding and is currently my favorite steel coaster.

2. My first night ride on The Beast. I was AMAZED at how little you could see, especially in the tunnels!

1. The ride that made me like coasters - my first ride on King Cobra. Ever since that first drop on that now defunct classic, I have loved coasters. Call me crazy, but after riding Vortex, Flight of Fear, Diamondback, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, Magnum, and Maverick, it's still #5 on my list of favorite steel coasters. I just wish I could have one more ride on it...

Terpy - that is just a classic story.

For me, I have a couple of moments.

- Back in the mid 70's, my parents brought us to the US for a vacation. One stop in our cross country tour was WDW Magic Kingdom where I was introduced to Roller Coasters via Space Mountain. The memory is a little fuzzy, but I seem to recall sitting right in front of my Dad in one portion of the car (kind of like Wild Thornberry's) but may be totally wrong. I do remember being concurrently scared to death and loving the thrill, however. I luckily also have a similar experience (even better is that this one was captured via a FOC on-ride-photo) with my 5 year old from a couple of years back.

- Recently, riding DB in Row 16 as the fireworks explode in the distance above the fog that was blanketing low lying areas and completing the final turn/splashdown as the fireworks finish was something I'd like to recreate.

I think my best coaster ride ever happened at Kings Island during Halloween Haunt in 2007, on SOB of all coasters. The air was cool and it was misting rain, as it had been about all evening. The fog from the machines was drifting over everything, and the first drop was completely covered in fog. From the top, it was like the track disappeared. Then, as luck would have it, the operator went so far as to push the button and we blew through the MCBR without so much as a tug. It was an absolutely wonderful ride, one that I'll never forget.

My special rides:

Yankee Cannonball Memorial Day 1986: My first ever ride on a coaster, at the age of 2 I do not really remember this but I do remember being extremely upset a year later when the park instituted a height requirement and I was unable to ride for a whole summer.

Lockness Monster 1988, midnight: I got to ride the last train of the night, with my mom in the front row that night. This was also back when this ride had 3 train operations and was timed so that both loops had a train pass through them at the same time.

The Beast 2001, night: After a rain storm and as our only ride we rode that year at KI (it was only a stop over point to get a Paramount pass for a trip to KD) we headed for a Beast marathon and upon arrival saw a maintenance truck out by the lift but the ride still running. Whatever was happening they had disabled all of the breaks on the ride (the breaks were literally lowered in the first shed) and we ended up going 2/3rds of the way up the 2nd lift before catching. Those 3 rides are why to this day this coaster is still my #1 wooden coaster.

Magnum XL 200, Coastermaina 2008: 15 rides in a row, without getting off, 3 of which were with no trims, 'nough said.

My ride on Vortex in '88 when I was 8 years old, and it was the first true coaster I had ever rode!

More recently Diamondback. I think theres just something about watching them breakground on "mystery construction", seeing the Patent filed for a hypercoaster, speculating the name, seeing the press release where they announce the name, watching it come together piece by piece, finally getting to the park this year, and then being strapped in to it and hearing the KI employee go "Enjoy your ride on Diamondback!" Probably the most excited I'd ever been. Usually I just hear a little bit about it, or read about it or something, this is the first time I've gotten to see it go from well hell if you really wanna go back, a "B&M Rumor coaster 2009" back in the summer of '07.

Not to mention it might be the first time I've actually gotten on a ride in its first year where it didn't break down or I had to make another trip out to ride it.