Cedar Point vs. Magic Mountain

Maybe I'm a traitor or something - not that I care - but I enjoyed Magic Mountain more than Cedar Point when I went. The water park and dry park were great. In my opinion, the ride selection is just as good as what Cedar Point offers - plus they have some delightful flume rides that you should most definitely check out.

I went to Magic Mountain this February, but haven't been to Cedar Point in 3 years.

My advice is go to both. They are both unique and fun.

Magic mountain has X2, Tatsu and a terrain to make a rather slow coaster like Ninja a fun ride.

Cedar Point has Millennium Force, TTD and a great location on the lake.

I'll be at CP in July to refresh my memory and ride Maverick for the first time.

^ I completely agree. CP was pretty busy the weekend I was up there, so my wife and I did tons and tons of flats. I had a better time riding mostly flats this year than last year when I rode mostly coasters.

I've always thought the lack of flats was the number one problem at KI.

Well, except for my spring visits to KI, I usually hit the waterpark and/or the water rides which evens things out nicely and even though KI has fewer flats it has some of my favorites (Avatar, Scooby, Delerium, Shake Rattle and Roll, Drop Tower.) So its not a problem, then come fall of course there is all the haunts to do.

^ I completely agree. CP was pretty busy the weekend I was up there, so my wife and I did tons and tons of flats. I had a better time riding mostly flats this year than last year when I rode mostly coasters.

I've always thought the lack of flats was the number one problem at KI.

I've started to notice that KD is also lacking in the flats dept. at least when it comes to diversity because as much as I enjoy coasters I also enjoy taking a break & hitting some good flats during the day to balance things out.

The experiences of both parks is really cool. If you gave me a choice to spend 10 days in either park I'd pick Cedar Point 7 days out of 10. There's simply more stuff to do at Cedar Point for people of all ages.

Magic Mountain: Tatsu and Riddler's Revenge are probably best in their class coasters. X2 is such a unique coaster and is worth seeing just to believe it. Batman the Ride, Goliath, Scream, and Ninja are more than re-rideable. Plus, you get the added bonus of what looks to be a good wooden coaster in Terminator Salvation the Ride. There are two gripes that I have with this park; lack of shade and lack of flats. Magic Mountain can get very warm in the summer and there's not a whole lot of shade out on the midways.

Cedar Point: not much else I can say here that hasn't already been said. I like the coasters and flats here more. Lake Erie, though, is the real difference, as there's nothing that can quite match that setting. All in all, I just feel like I get more out of a day at Cedar Point.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have some MM questions.

I am planning a trip the last week of October, and one option I am considering is flying to Burbank and going to MM on a Friday.

Is this worth it? Will most of the rides be operating? Is the park worth a trip at this time of year or should I wait for regular season next year?

I want to try this park, but if many of the signature coasters are not operating then I feel it is a trip wasted. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have some MM questions.

I am planning a trip the last week of October, and one option I am considering is flying to Burbank and going to MM on a Friday.

Is this worth it? Will most of the rides be operating? Is the park worth a trip at this time of year or should I wait for regular season next year?

I want to try this park, but if many of the signature coasters are not operating then I feel it is a trip wasted. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I was just at SFMM this past Saturday, every attraction in the Park was operating and at full capacity with the exception of X. Given that Fright Fest is still going on at that point, I'd say you will be safe that all major attractions will be operating, but as Terpy suggests you can always call before going. I'd recommend definitely visiting though. My visit was brief on Saturday, just a few hours, but I had some amazing rides. Terminator is fantastic!!!

- Todd