Most OVERRATED major ride at Kings Island

McSalsa

Close call between Invertigo and Firehawk for me. In the end I think that Invertigo is just too simple. There's really not much to it at all, and if there was one at Cedar Point, for instance, it wouldn't get nearly the crowd it gets at KI.

I would say Son of Beast, but take away the maintenance issues, injuries, the addition of lighter trains, and removal of the loop and it was awesome. I took a visit to KI in Spring of '03, and rode the Son of Beast twice, and honestly believed it was the best roller coaster ever made. However, since removing the loop, and adding the new trains the coaster still kicks ass in the front, but its unbarebly painful in the back.

But the original concept of the Son of Beast lived up to everything it promised IMO, as far as a single ride from a roller coaster.

I'm not sure I can choose from anything on this list, as all of them either currently live up to the hype or did when they first opened (or I first rode them).

The Crypt - I didn't like it much when it was TRTR mainly because they left you hanging facing the floor for several seconds.

Beast, Vortex, Racer, DB - All live up to the hype in my opinion

SOB - was one of my favorite rides when it had the loop and the heavier cars, despite being quite rough

FOF - Still a lot of fun, though I wish they'd keep the lights off...

BLSC - A fun ride when it debuted as IJST. Still fun, but not as much fun as it was with the in-car audio and the splashdown at the end

Firehawk - Was worth the several hours I waited for it when it first opened. Would be better if KI ride ops could learn how to dispatch trains faster (eg dispatch one before the other one hits the final brakes outside the station)

Delirium - still one of my favorite rides

Drop Tower - also one of my favorite rides

Invertigo - also a favorite though not a must-ride

One thats not on the list is Adventure Express. It's an OK ride, but thats it. I would call it more of a beginners roller coaster than anything. When it was first built, it was the major attraction for that year. I remember seeing it on TV commercials, They had it featured on their landscaping at the front gate. We were so excited to ride it, and then......wha........it's over?

LOL, it was like a bad joke.

I could of swore a year ago you were telling me you didn't like Firehawk much and the B&M style flying coaster's were much better than the Vekoma Flying Dutchmen

Not me, McGee...I have always much preferred the Vekoma Flying Dutchmen to the B and M Flying Coasters (with the exception of Tatsu, which is my favorite of all the flying coasters I have ridden). This is very much a minority opinion, but I find the Vekomas smoother, more fluid, their trains more comfortable, and the loading position far, far more comfortable...and the waiting position on brake runs even more so. Tatsu is incredible, and I am sure that new thing down at Seaworld Orlando is, too!

Indeed Terpy the one at Sea World is incredible, and the more and more I think about it , it evens beats Diamondback IMO.

^I agree Tom, now the ride might not get hype, but if you were around when it first opened you saw all the ads hyping it as a great adventure with awesome theming and thrills. The theming was pretty good, but the thrills were average and the finale was almost unforgivable. I've since cooled to it and enjoy it for what it is.

When Kings Island added Face/off, I showed up with my high school for after prom hoping to ride their awesome new inverted coaster. I didn't read much into it. When I got there and saw Face/Off sitting up front, I was like "thats it? Cedar Point gets Raptor, Kentucy Kingdom gets T2, Six Flags gets Batman, and we get this little Rinky dinky thing? WTH?" I was pretty dissapointed. I actually do like the ride a bit, though it kind of makes me sick with its direction switching if I ride it too much, but I would of much better had an awesome B&M invert than a Vekoma Inverted boomerang! It comes in a close 2nd to Firehawk.

But didn't we get that little invert and a huge dropping ride in the same year? That was a pretty good deal. Plus the construction of one of the park's biggest and most overrated rides began that year (SOB).

There are 3 rides I feel are overhyped. Firehawk is one. I have never enjoyed it. I have never felt like I was "flying" so much as hanging uncomfortably.

SOB was overhyped more by myself that anyone else as I'd watch it being constructed during the season and offseason; I was enthralled and imagined how great it was going to be. That hype wasn't killed when I found out there would be no tunnels (huh? both other "beasts" have at least 1 tunnel) or when it was constantly down when I'd go to the park for my first ride (went 3 times before I could finally ride). But once I rode it I found out how shakey, uncomfortable, and just plain dull it was. Has a good first hill, and the loop was cool, but the layout is horrible with no thrills or surprises.

But my gold medal for the most overrated is Tomb Raider. When it was first built, it was touted as the most expensive and biggest addition to the park, ever. It was cloaked in secrecy how this was a ride like nothing ever before. That it was an emersive and interactive themed ride where the adventure began while in line. There were rumors about it being a top spin in a box, but nobody wanted to believe that. Then it opened. I went to the preview day and was impressed with the queue theme. I liked how there were different rooms we were being led into. But then the disappointment began when the big "show" before the ride itself was mainly just watching scenes from the movie, which I didn't care for. It wasn't anything original. Then the ride, even though I realized when the door opened that this really was just a top spin in a box, I was still impressed with its size. I was hoping it was going to deliver something new that I'd never experienced. Then the ride started and the theme seemed cool, but after a couple flips, I realized there really wasn't much more they could do with this ride. I guess they did all they could, but it was still just a top spin in a box, and a ride like that is not at all interactive or immersive. The only interaction was getting water shot in your face, woohoo, fun. I walked out disappointed, and when a camera crew who was covering the preview evening asked us what we thought, we said that we'd rather be riding the flying eagles. I'm pretty sure we didn't get on the air that evening.

To me, the most overrated major ride at ki is of course....Firehawk. They made so much hype about it, and then when it came out, it wuz just kinda so so. It also is a very short ride. I also do prefer other styles of flying coasters

When Kings Island added Face/off, I showed up with my high school for after prom hoping to ride their awesome new inverted coaster. I didn't read much into it. When I got there and saw Face/Off sitting up front, I was like "thats it? Cedar Point gets Raptor, Kentucy Kingdom gets T2, Six Flags gets Batman, and we get this little Rinky dinky thing? WTH?" I was pretty dissapointed. I actually do like the ride a bit, though it kind of makes me sick with its direction switching if I ride it too much, but I would of much better had an awesome B&M invert than a Vekoma Inverted boomerang! It comes in a close 2nd to Firehawk.

For this reason, I felt Invertigo should have just been called the ADD Coaster in the beginning. (sit and think why yourself, I'm not typing it out)

I say Diamondback, The Beast and Crypt.

Crypt was overrated even as Tomb Raider...

Diamondback is awesome, but its not the greattest thing ever invented either.

The Beast gets the same reason as Diamondback.