Smoking / Family-Friendly

ebajane

Sorry to those who have read this post elsewhere...

About the smoking issue...

I visited PKI yesterday, and there was someone near me smoking in line for almost every ride. I never saw anyone get caught. Is this rule ever enforced? I sure wish it would be! I am quite allergic to cigarette smoke, and it really detracts from the fun (and makes the line seem a lot longer) when I'm constantly puffing on my inhaler to keep away the effects of the smoke. Personally, I think that people caught smoking in line shouldn't just be asked to put out their cigarette. I think it should be grounds for ejection from the park. They can read the rules just like I can. If they want to smoke on their own time, it's none of my business. But when they smoke right next to me in a confined ride line, it becomes my problem. I will think twice about bringing my future kids to PKI because of the smoking.

Another similar issue is the T-shirts with offensive language. I saw some that I, as an adult, thought were chucklers. If I had had young children with my, however, I would not have been happy. (And the worst ones I saw were in line for Scooby Doo!) I know the rules mention that offensive language/dress may not be permitted.

It's up to PKI to decide what is acceptable in their park. I think PKI is a good place, and I usually enjoy most of my visits. But as my personal suggestion... If they want to create a family atmosphere, at least in HB land, I would recommend enforcing these rules a little more.

Does anyone agree/disagree with this?

I would have just asked him to stop politely. If they wouldnt, then you would have a problem. Smoking is a growing epidemic sweeping the coountry, and people think they can smoke when they want and where they want. They need to look from the other persons perspective. I have no beef with the t-shirts. Sometimes I even wear my "BJ's SUBS" shirt. Most small kids cant read it in the first place. Older kids who can read probably dont understand the message. But if they can... they'll see it sooner or later I guess.

Queue line smoking is a issue at every park not just PKI. While it is prohibited at a majority of the parks, enforcement for "smoke police" is a cost issue. You would need at least one extra person per ride to properly enforce it, and amusement parks spend enough money as it is. Unfortunatly those who do choose to smoke will also ignore you when asked to put it out since they are already breaking the rules. There is no clear-cut solution for this problem. Ejection from the park is one way to deal with the situation, but does the punishment fit the crime?

We do not need an extra person per ride to enforce it.... we need people around that person(s) to tell us of the problem, we can't always see it. If I ever see anyone, I tell them to put it out... But we can't tell them to stop if we don't see it! As for the shirts.... If it is just words, I do not care. Kids probably don't even understand, but if there are pictures to the shirts that are not good, then I think they shouldn't wear them. Kids will understand that!

P.S. What is the point of wearing clothes like that anyways!??

Couldn't the workers just see them on camera and tell them to stop over the intercom like they do with the people sitting on the railings?

Not all rides have cameras on the line... some do! That's why we need people to tell us when there is something that we miss. We all try hard to watch the line the best we can, but still need help. And the people sitting on railings isn't hard to catch, they are above everyone so you can tell... We don't use cameras to see that!

I did post this somewhere else, but here's a shorter version:

Smoking is not allowed in the lines and Security tries to walk the exits (or the new fast pass lines) to check them ques for smokers. We do ask that they put it out, but we can not do much more than that unless the guests gives us problems. Ejection is not something we do lightly at the park, and a smoker would not get ejection.

As of the shirts, anything that the park deems obsene, like some words and pictures, we will ask the guests to turn their shirts inside out. Also, if a guest complains about someone's shrit, we will ask that person to turn their shirt inside out. Failure to comply and the guest can be asked to leave, but not ejected. There is a big difference between being asked to leave and being ejected.

In my experience, cracking down on smokers is something PKI does better than most of the parks I've visited recently.

Once the smokers are caught, or even when another guest complains; the employees have, for the most part, been relentless about stomping out the problem.

By the way, I also have to give kudos to some of the employees for something kinda related....It seems that employees have become much more aggressive about line jumpers. When I get cut, I'll tell an employee..and something will actually get done! A few weeks ago, about a half-dozen kids jumped in front of us...The employee at the beginning of the [Delirium] line jumped into action, and made the problem go away!

PKI is more vigilant with these two issues than most parks, IMHO.

I agree with the last comment. PKI is more vigilant than other parks. The few times I have seen (usually kids looking too young to smoke anyway) people lighting up in line, I have said things and since these are people who don't follow rules anyway the response is a laugh or smoke blown in my face. I am a smoker and it hasn't bothered me to refrain while in line for a ride or in any other non-smoking area of any kind. Some people just don't give a crap about anyone or anything and that's unfortunate, but they also know there are no real consequences and that doesn't help. At Six Flags last week Security threw out a jerk for smoking in an inside line; today every line we were in had kids smoking in it and nobody said a word or did anything.

Security can't be everywhere and see everything. They are way better at PKI than other parks I've been to.

Hating all smokers isn't cool either, some of us actually have manners.

I was walking in front of the bungee-trampoline ride and I saw two little girls. I mean like they couldent be older than 11. Passing around a sig. around like it was nothing. Right in the middle of the mid-way. ohmy.gif

The T-shirts I could care less about. There are too many idiots that wear them anyway, and it would be impossible to get everybody.

As for smoking in line, I don't tolerate it one bit. Usually I keep it to myself while I'm in line, but if it gets too much out of hand, I take action. Smokers are an annoyance IMO.

~Shadow~

I believe it says that in the park guide, under "Rules and Regulations," that wording with offensive language, wording, or graphics are not permitted.

Either security/admissisons staff isn't doing a good job, or some people are wearing their "F--- Everyone" (or something like that) shirts under a sweatshirt, and taking the sweatshirt off so they can go scot free.

Somewhat related, I went to Cedar Point last year, and they refused to let a young lady in who had a bikini top on, and had her shorts way below her waist. Security came and enforced the admission's staff requests that she put on a regular shirt (non-offensive), and pull her pants up.

I don't want to sound ultra-conservative here, but while she is not at school or work, she is not at a bar or strip club either. We are talking amusement parks here, and most of their business is dependent on families. Last time I checked, PKI heavily labels and promotes itself as a family park.

As for the smoking issue, the no-smoking-in-line rule could be enforced and stressed more. CP has signs in their lines, especially for Top Thrill Dragster, saying that "smoking is cause for removal from line." PKI could do similiar. As I know, there is nothing prohibiting those under 18 from smoking in permitted areas; they should ban this behavior, but that may cause more controversy than security needs right now, being in a post-9/11 world.

To Dino:

First, I am probably old enough to be your mother. Second, the personal attacks are getting out of hand.

I personally don't care for a lot of vices in the world today but have a little more insight and understanding of people, life and society.

I found this site by accident and came here as a place to find out what's new with my favorite park since I can't go as often as I would like to, not to be told that people hate me and I have a death wish.

I'm gone.

Sorry i have to agree with Dino2003

I cant stand people who smoke in line....its like they dont care who is around them and they light up a cig...its gross and unhealthy...as for shirts with words..people shouldnt have them on in the first place..with kids around and iam sure most parents wouldnt like see a person with the cussing on it...in HBL or Nick Central...Bad Shirts should be left at home PKI is a theme park kids are around thats all i gotta say!

I would have to agree with what everyone else is saying, that most people if asked nicely will put the cig out. But for the rude people I just start cough, sumtimes on them, and wiat for them to get the hint. I cannot stand cig smoke, my eyes water and i can barely breathe.

Also in line for delerium these people were smoking and one of the ride attendance was right there and they said nothing to them about smoking. It bothers me so much! They need to be warned and they removed from the line.

The t-shirt thing relaly deosn't bother me as much as how much skanky hoochie mama clotehs people wear. I don't think parents like there kids seeing breats and booties hangin' out everywhere.

Someone mentioned the bikini tops... the park rule states that shoes, shirts and shorts are required in the park at all times. I asked about enforcing this rule with girls wearing bikini tops and I was told that they are okay. I don't consider a bikin top a shirt, but I guess the park does. If anyone agrees that the binkini tops should not be worn in the theme park, my suggestion is to go to GR under the front gate and make it a suggestion, and put it writing as well. The more complaints they get about it, maybe they will actually enforce that rule.

We do have signs up in most of the lines for no smoking, and it is a written rule. I also try to remind people at the morning ropes that they are not allowed to smoke in the lines. I will ask when Delrium is getting its no smoking signs... If I remember correctly it took almost half the season last year before TR:TR got its signs.

Smoking in Waterworks is a huge NO. This is because guests can walk around without shoes and if they step on a cigarette it would cause a lot of problems. IMO they should make HB/Nick a no smoking area... at least Nick b/c of the water maze and the kids not wearing shoes. Guests aren't allowed to smoke in the Nick theater either and I'm sure the charaters hate it when a parent is smoking and comes up to them, not only would it hurt the person inside, but also the outfit. I'm not saying make the entire park no smoking, but just HB/Nick.

A couple of things:

#1) Why are we all taking this subject so personally? Come on, we are all supposed to tell what we have on our minds about somethings. Thats something they teach in grade school (ok, maybe just mine). But taking what people say seriously isnt right. Just chill out and relax.

#2) My view: The government is being hypocritical of itself. The same government who says smoking is legal also tries to get people to stop smoking. Personally, I dont care if you smoke or not. Just dont blow it in my face.

#3) As a ride op, if I ever see it, I stop it. No questions asked. If you have a question about why, I point to the nearest No Smoking sign.

Now you have my views.

I agree, smoking should not happen in certain areas of the park...I know I may be in the minority, but I think the entire park should be smoke free. First off, I, personally, don't like the smoke (plus allergic to it), but also more importantly I've seen the effects smoking can have on people. It's not pretty...

I just think the park needs to do what it can to enforce the rules concerning profane clothing (or lack of clothing), smoking, and something nobody has mentioned - alcohol. The one thing I'll never understand is why alcohol is even sold over in WaterWorks...

Anyhoo, just my opinions...

Also, as a ride op.. if I ever see or smell smoke - I stop it. If FOF has extra people, we usually send people into the cue areas and play a little game i like to call "handrail nazi" which includes telling people to stop smoking. PKI tries their best to keep it under control but there is only so much you can do. FOF had a slight problem with smoking a couple weeks ago, and it gets ugly... but there we did what we could. Its just common courtesy for non-smokers not to smoke in line... but i dont think the park should be smoke free. Thats not fair to smokers. ph34r.gif

Ah yes, handrail nazi. I was stuck there for about 1 1/2 hours once (the sup forgot I was out there! lol). I didn't see many smokers though. I think I only told one person to put it out. I also had a line-jumping incident while in there. Thank God the people complied and left the line with little argument. I did tell countless people to get off of the handrails though. Even right after the driver made the "no sitting on the handrails" annuncement, I turn around and right before my eyes, a guy sitting on the handrails.

I saw some body in the line for Drop Zone get out of line in the middle of the quere, got over to the AZ Grill, buy beer, get back in line. NAd when they were done with it, they put it on the ground.