Smoking / Family-Friendly

ebajane

Hey Dane, do me a favor and let the ride op know about that stuff if you see it again... guests are not allowed to have any beer away from a patio where they bought it! Security makes them throw it away, walk them to the closest patio with beer or chug it in front of them. Not only was he not allowed to have the beer, but he was line jumping getting back in line after leaving.

I finally got some feedback on what we would do about recording while on the rides: No cameras/camcorders or other recording devices are allowed on any of the rides at PKI unless the guest has express permission from the marketing department and is escourted by either Security, marketing or both. If a guest is caught with a camera/camcorder or other recording device on a ride, they will recieve a verbal warning. If caught again, different measures will be taken.

Edited by DragonLord

To Dino:

First, I am probably old enough to be your mother. Second, the personal attacks are getting out of hand.

I personally don't care for a lot of vices in the world today but have a little more insight and understanding of people, life and society.

I found this site by accident and came here as a place to find out what's new with my favorite park since I can't go as often as I would like to, not to be told that people hate me and I have a death wish.

I'm gone.

Mrs. G.

I hope that you will not be permanently leaving this forum. Your insights are greatly appreciated - especially since you a member of two seemingly under-respresntative groups on this forum (women and mature folks). I'm quite certain that neither Dino nor anyone else intentionally meant to harm your feelings.

Personally, I am a non-smoker and I'd love for PKI to be smoke-free. Nevertheless, I respect your (and other people's) right to smoke. Not to get off track, but I don't gamble - but respect other folks right to do it. By the same token, I like my Merlot wine and some folks from certain religious demoninations may take issue with that. I would hope that those people respect my right to comsume wine.

Additionally, I agree with you that sometimes some people - intentionally or unintentionally - launch personal attacks at others on this forum. I myself was on the receiving end of such an attack last week when someone called me "s----less" and my feelings were hurt.

Again, your contributions greatly enhance the quality of this forum and I would be very disappointed if you left. Either which way, I am closer to your age than most folks here and respect your wishes as a mature person.

Though I hope that you shall participate in this forum in the future, I wish you the very best of luck either way. Have a great summer.

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

Hey thanks Chef!

You hit the nail on the head! i didnt mean to hurt anyone i just think smokers wanna die young thats all!

Amazingly!!! Comments like that DO hurt people... and it will be a shame if someone leaves the forum from one person's remarks. Everyone can have there own opinions, but there are certain things that can be said and others should be kept to yourself! I am not attacking or anything, but I thought I needed to say this.

As the one who started the topic, I want to thank everyone for their honest responses. I also want to emphasize that I do NOT mean to criticize smokers. I have my personal opinions about smoking, but, as I said, it is none of my business whether someone smokes or not. My problem is only when they do it in line next to me and there is no way (other than leaving the ride line) for people to get away from it. It's rude and inconsiderate. Sure, I'd LOVE a non-smoking park, but I am NOT suggesting that PKI make their park non-smoking. I am suggesting that they use stronger enforcement policies to decrease the number of people smoking in line.

Here are my reasons for mentioning ejection from the park (or at least ejection from a ride line) as a consequence:

1) People can read the rules. If they want to come to the park, then they must follow the rules to stay in the park. It's perfectly fair to expect that.

2) The rules that typically get people thrown out of the park are rules that involve endangering someone. If you are smoking in close proximity to another person, you are endangering that person.

It has been suggested that I should just ask people to stop smoking myself. Unfortunately, in this day and age, I'm just not comfortable doing that to a complete stranger. If a person is smoking in line, he ot she obviously doesn't care about following the rules anyway. Besides, I shouldn't HAVE to tell the person. That's the park's job. If I do see a staff person near me in such a situation, I will tell the staff person so that he or she can handle it.

I totally understand that it would be nearly impossible to stop every person who smokes in line. There are only so many staff members to go around. I just hope that PKI uses all available resources to cut down on the problem.

To Dino and Scooby:

Your personal attacks do have an affect on people. This thread started with smoking in line, which is wrong, to your own personal feelings on smoking. There are many things that can cause death if they are overdone: drinking alcohol, drinking soda (though a little extreme all that sugar is not healthy and causes obesity), speeding, skydiving, running, boxing, drugs etc. You may laugh at those examples, but they have caused death and people still choose to do them. Smoking can cause cancer and cause death, but not always.

Hating smokers in line I can understand, hating smokers in general is wrong. I respect your opinion, but respect others opinions as well.

Edited by browntggrr

I agree! i cant stand smokers they really **** me off i cant stand the smell of smoke...People who smoke wanna die Young!

Where in your quote does it say anything about in-line smoking or smoking at PKI?

Your comments are directed at all smokers in general.

Edited by browntggrr

To Dino and Scooby:

Your personal attacks do have an affect on people.  This thread started with smoking in line, which is wrong, to your own personal feelings on smoking.  There are many things that can cause death if they are overdone: drinking alcohol, drinking soda (though a little extreme all that sugar is not healthy and causes obesity), speeding, skydiving, running, boxing, drugs etc.  You may laugh at those examples, but they have caused death and people still choose to do them.  Smoking can cause cancer and cause death, but not always.

Hating smokers in line I can understand, hating smokers in general is wrong.  I respect your opinion, but respect others opinions as well.

I totally understand where they are coming from....Most of the things you've listed are things you personally do....drinking, skydiving, etc...They have an effect on you....However when people smoke there is such a thing as Second-Hand smoke...While I don't think it is the smartest thing to do, if you want to smoke in your own home that's fine...but I don't think non-smokers should have to be put in harm's way and exposed to the 2nd Hand smoke unwillingly. I've personally seen the effects that smoking has on people. I would be totally happy if more places became smoke free. Just my opinions...

Edited by SML828

I think that smoking is not the main issue here, it's communicating respectfully. I've seen people be very cruel to each other on this forum over things like FearFest, PKI vs. CP, and even a person who posted on this topic INSULTED me about my book and never had the decency to apologize.

The idea here should be diplomatic communication. Rather than say "I hate all smokers" or "smokers got a death wish"........how about:

"Smoking is a serious health risk. I respect the right of smokers to smoke in their own homes but wish they would refrain from doing so on lines at PKI because I don't like second hand smoke, especially since it is against the rules."

Or how about:

"Smoking causes health defects. I respect the right of people who choose this habit, but SOME (don't blame all) smokers disrespect PKI and other guests when they smoke on lines, which is against the rules."

You can say anything you want folks, that's why we have the First Amendment. However, there is a diplomatic way to say things. Here's another example.

"PKI rocks, CP sucks."

How about, CP is a great amusement park. However, compared to PKI, it isn't that impressive."

Have a great weekend,

Italian Chef

I agree with you 100% IC, however the world is going down the proverbial tubes. Even I say things suck. Like, for example, I was talking to another employee at the Sunoco across from the park one night, and I asked her where she worked, which was nickolodean (did I butcher the spelling on that or what). I automatically replied that sucks. But anyway... I do think we should all be nicer on the site, and not so "You Suck, I Rule; I'm Right, You're Wrong..."

Ok..Someone please explain..Comming thru the front gates on 5-23..My shirt is from American Eagle..On the back it says :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do it in the sand"

American Eagle 26th Annual-Spring Break-Rock the Curl_Battle of the Bands-Manhatten Beach California

Surf All Day-Rage All Night

If its to loud .Your too old..Sat 11pm

------------------------------

I was told to either change shirts or turn the one I had on inside out.I understood this.But people still got thru w/ shirts on ALOT worse then mine...

(I changed into a gray shirt that says The Cajun Crab Shack on it if NEbody seen me!=]]])

I never would have told you to do anything with your shirt... it doesn't sound like it would be a problem at all!

*sigh*

We can't catch everything, but we do our best... of course it almost sounds anal that we made you turn your shirt inside out (or change into another one).

I had a complaint from a guy in HB land yesterday who was furious about people smoking there. I don't blame him. If anything, they could do us all a favor and ban smoking in HB, it would make their children's area have that much more appeal to the 90% of people who aren't too thick headed to understand why it was banned.

Or they could go the Disney World route, and ban smoking everywhere in the park except designated areas.

I had a complaint from a guy in HB land yesterday who was furious about people smoking there. I don't blame him. If anything, they could do us all a favor and ban smoking in HB, it would make their children's area have that much more appeal to the 90% of people who aren't too thick headed to understand why it was banned.

Or they could go the Disney World route, and ban smoking everywhere in the park except designated areas.

I like either idea....but add Nick to the HB part....

I am a smoker and I do agree with most people smoking in line is wrong, I do not smoke in line but I do smoke in the midway! Most smokers do respect other peoples choices, I am sorry that this is happening and if you just ask them nicely I bet they would put it out. biggrin.gif

The smoking doesnt bother me too much, because usually it is only one person and they arent blowing it in my face. The only ride i have EVER seen someone get in trouble is the Flight of Fear line. They make an announcement that says you arent suppose to smoke in line. What bothers me is people drinking in line. It is ok until they are so drunk that they start spilling it on stuff and on people, plus they reek of beer.EWW. One time I was in line for The Racer, and two people right beside me were actin stupid and spliiling beer everywhere. I even got some on my shoe. That made me really upset so i told a ride op.

Hmm... it really bothers me that people would drink in a line (beer at least). First off the beer is not supposed to be taken off the patios or out of the buildings where it is sold at. The ride ops are supposed to call security if they see someone drinking in the line so that we can take care of it. The ride ops also have a responsiblity to not let someone ride if they think they are too drunk to do so. Odds are Security would be call in for that as well, but the ride op does not have to let someone ride if they feel that person will be unsafe on the ride.

If you see someone drinking in the line, try and get a hold of a ride op. I know it's going to be really hard to so until you get to a station and that the person drinking will probably be done by then, but if not, try and get a hold of someone. Employees use the exits all the time, watch for them or Security to come up the exits and hollar at them to let them know.

I am a smoker and I do agree with most people smoking in line is wrong, I do not smoke in line but I do smoke in the midway! Most smokers do respect other peoples choices, I am sorry that this is happening and if you just ask them nicely I bet they would put it out. biggrin.gif

most smokers do respect other people's choices. unfortunately the ones i ran into on Sunday were quite rude. I went and rode rides after work so i wasnt in uniform and this guy was smoking in Racer's line. I politely asked him to put it out because I'm an asmatic. Instead of being polite, he blew smoke in my face. I almost died, it was so rude. I tried to get supervisor Adam's attention but he couldnt hear me and by that time, the guy was lost in line. Ugh. mad.gif

Hmm... it really bothers me that people would drink in a line (beer at least). First off the beer is not supposed to be taken off the patios or out of the buildings where it is sold at. The ride ops are supposed to call security if they see someone drinking in the line so that we can take care of it.

Are the ride ops supposed to call security when they see someone or are notified when someone is smoking in line? I would hope so. Having the same policy may influence those who smoke, not to in line and leave it at the midway.

Are the ride ops supposed to call security when they see someone or are notified when someone is smoking in line? I would hope so. Having the same policy may influence those who smoke, not to in line and leave it at the midway.

ride ops job is to tell them to put it out. if they don't and hassle you about it.. then you can get security in on it. mostly when you are in uniform, they listen to you because they know they can get in trouble. i usually have no problems with getting people to stop unless i'm not in uniform.

I never had problems asking people to put out smokes while in uniform... but I do know guests hate to listen to other guests when they are asked to do something like that. Oh well...

I do have complaints that it (no smoking) isn't posted anywhere in the line. Well duh... read the ticket, read the signs coming into the park, read the map, and use common sense! Do we have to constenly remind people oh how to act? Most people don't read anything given to them anyway, it's like the check their brains outside the metal detectors. mad.gif

They are just using that as an excuse.... They know what they are doing! I was working Delirium greeter a couple of days ago and I must have seen four or five people try to hide their cigarette in their hand when they got up to me and I would say "Oh I am sorry, but you are not allowed to smoke in line. You have to put it out before you get in line." And they try saying "What cigarette?" ohmy.gif And then one guy I made stomp it out and then he passed me and 5 seconds later put another in....I got that one too! tongue.gif

i usually have no problems with getting people to stop unless i'm not in uniform.

I so far have not had troubles with people while out of uniforum. Of course, if they still give you trouble, tell them you are an employee and show them your ID card, and then they'll listen, and if they still don't get a sup/manager