4th of July Festivities

I have been patiently waiting to see what special activities Kings Island will offer for the July 4th Holiday. I keep checking Kings Island web site

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/eve...05&ec_id=15

but it only list a larger firework show for that evening.

Celebrate Independence Day with a bang as Kings Island presents an extended firework show. Enjoy high-energy entertainment with six amazing shows, tackle Diamondback, Kings Island's newest rollercoaster, or just relax in Boomerang Bay by day and enjoy a stunning firework display at night. Plus, Kings Island stays open until Midnight on July 4th!
I was so looking forward to going to Kings Island again this year for the 4th of July festivities , especially since the holiday falls on a Saturday this year and even considered staying over Saturday night. I must say if the expanded firework show is all they are going to offer this family will be doing something else like we did a couple years back when they decided to have activities on the 3rd a work day for many. Being sarcastic here but it looks like Kings Island is mainly interested in the younger crowd this year and since the forth is celebrated with family for many, I guess Kings Island feels no need to do anything special to bring them in. with just 11 days till the 4th of July and nothing special being announced, I am Very Disappointed and hope something changes soon!!!

I'll be at Kings Dominion on July 3rd. I just got an email from KDFanSite a couple hours ago and they are having an event that day, plus I've always wanted to go to the National Symphony Orchestra concert and fireworks in D.C. so my husband and I will be enjoying the fourth at our nation's capitol!

I have attened nights of fire in the past..while an upgrade over the usual fireworks display, it really isn't anything to get too worked up over. Basically they shoot some fireworks off the Eiffel Tower and enhance the lighting on it a bit...If I recall, the show is maybe an extra 15 min long synchronized to patriotic music. I'll be at the Mason festivities on the 3rd seeing Huey Lewis for free! (I'm dating myself now, but Sports was a tape I owned and played over and over until I wore it out!). I will be at KI for parts of the 2nd and 3rd, but will prob avoid the 4th since it will be very crowded I'm sure.

^They haven't done the tower for a few years now. You are probably looking at a 13-17 minute show at the park is my guess. This is typical of what has been done the past couple of years. Still should be a good show, BUT nothing like the Nights of Fire days.

The event at Kings Dominion was the deciding factor in where we're spending the 4th. If there were something interesting at KI, especially a KIC event, our plans might be different. KD is also having a BMX show and a few other things.

I worked there when they did Nights of Fire. I thought it was amazing. I was working the 3rd and then on the 4th I drove down with my mom and we parked in the employee lot to watch the fireworks. The cascade off the Eiffel Tower was pretty wicked!

Posted from my BlackBerry mobile device.

For those looking for something to do on Friday, July 3rd, Coney is having the 10th annual LaRosa`s Balloon Glow. The balloons "glow" from 8 to 10pm. There are lots of other family friendly activities planned throughout the day. The evening is capped off with a Rozzi`s Famous Fireworks show over Lake Como. Speaking from experience here, but the show is really awesome, particularly the close proximity to the launching zone!

For a full list of events at Coney Island on July 3rd, check out ConeyIslandCentral.com

Robbie thanks for the reminder, we did go to Coney Island several years back on the 3rd and really had a good time. You know I have been looking for something to replace my planned KI visit on the 4th so maybe I should do Coney on the third and then Stickers grove on the 4th.

I wish I had the time to do something like Dave and Kat have planned but maybe next year. those two have really been going to some great places this year.

Yeah. Coney`s July 3rd celebration always has a lot of family friendly activities. And, Sunlite Pool stays open until 9:30 pm, and the rides stay open until 10pm. If you arrive early in the day, the rides and parking are not very busy. But if you arrive in the early evening (around 5 to 7), expect larger crowds. But even then, the lines are not that long (tops at around thirty minutes). I most likely will be working all day on both the third and the fourth. Say hi if you do come down to Coney.

You know I will, I may need to see what Buddy Bill is doing on Friday. I really think this is what we are going to do I'll let you know for sure as we get closer. BTW the work I get in the Cincy and N KY area has been sporadic the past month and darn if I had work the week before and the week after your presentation display at the University. I really would have like to seen it and Congratulations. (did I miss a thread on this?)

The park has historically not done a whole lot on the 4th of July in the past few years. The Wallenda walk was a huge exception last year.

With the ASA Tour, tattoo guy (this Saturday) and Nik Wallenda walk this August 16th, the park is clearly making an effort to have special events... it's just that none of them happen to fall on July 4th this year.

I agree the past few years but but before that Kings Island used to do a lot on the 4th. I wonder what changed? If I am going to give props for things Kings Island does well then I need to also point out where I get disappointed and as you said the past few yews besides last year and unfortunitly the rain hurt them on that. Really it is OK because other places offer more I just need to switch my yearly family plans from going to Kings Island (which we loved to do) on the 4th weekend to going to other places.

Sorry but after thinking about this for a bit longer I would like to add a few more thoughts. I have for years been going to Kings Island on various Holidays and in fact if you have asked me what my family would be doing on the 4th of July on any years past, we all ready knew what we would be doing a year ahead and even longer. Because of the great times my family has had during the holiday weekend in the past, we decided that Kings Island is where we wanted to be year after year as a tradition. The last few years there has been some changes even the one time it was celebrated on a work day (so we missed that one,0 but even then extra festivities where added. The thing is it takes so long for a business to gain reputation of of doing certain things to build guest satifaction and that was what has happened for us. Now I must be honest we will not be coming to Kings Island this year on the 4th of July or even next year or the year after that (pains me to say that) as once I give up on a annual family activity and start a new one going back to the old one will require something really worth it as I have lost trust in the old tradition as far as expectations go. This is in no way Kings Island Bashing I love the park and will visit it often while adding to some great memories. But I just need to say Kings Island has lost my families traditional of 4th of July annual trips until further notice and maybe forever if we find another family 4th of July activity that we want to keep.

Wherespiritsroam – In a topic you started a couple weeks back you asked how the 4th of July would be At Kings Island a lot of members did not recommend it but I piped in and offered another voice and shared some of my observation based on past trips. I even suggested an Itinerary for you, that plan will still work and you will have fun. But I must be honest and tell you I take back my recommendation for going on the forth now. I do not say this out of bitterness, but it would bother me a lot if you went based on something I said and then it did not turn out the way I suggested it would. With the no special events planned this year (other than more fireworks) and the normal crowd size I do not suggest Kings Island as others have said. I am not saying you will not have a good time but suggesting another date in my opinion will maximize your chances of having the best Kings Island experience ever. I love Kings Island and want other guest to have the best time ever and often. So best of luck to you I hope you guys have a great time when you do go.

Like I said earlier this post should not come off as Kings Island bashing but more as feedback for those interested. So let me put this in perspective.

Opening weekend – Exceeded my expectations

Ride Warrior Coaster Weekend – Really exceeded my expectations.

ASA memorial day weekend – Really exceeded my expectations and just blew me away (awsome)

July 4th Weekend – Lack of announced festivities, changing our plans.

I agree the past few years but but before that Kings Island used to do a lot on the 4th. I wonder what changed? If I am going to give props for things Kings Island does well then I need to also point out where I get disappointed and as you said the past few yews besides last year and unfortunitly the rain hurt them on that. Really it is OK because other places offer more I just need to switch my yearly family plans from going to Kings Island (which we loved to do) on the 4th weekend to going to other places.

You should really skip KI this year and do the Coney/Strickers combo. While I have to help my sister move to Lexington on that Friday, the 4th of July Saturday, my whole family is going to Strickers. You really should go to Strickers with us! Have you ever been? My wife would really like to meet you!

Thats what we all really need to do...have a KIC meet up at SG. It is free to get in, just costs for the rides:

From the SG website:

4th of July Celebration, OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!

FREE ADMISSION (walk into the park, no rides)

If you wish to ride the rides, we have two pricing options.

1. Purchase individual ride tickets

$1.50 - 1 ticket

$5.00 - 4 tickets

$10.00 - 9 tickets

* 10 of our rides require 1 ticket

* 6 of our rides require 2 tickets

* The Tornado Roller Coaster requires 3 tickets

2. Purchase an armband for $13.95 to ride an unlimited number of rides all day/night.

Park Hours: 2pm - 11pm

Ride Hours: 3pm - 11pm

Parking: $5 per car

Jesse,

Here is a link to the online version of my DAAPWorks stuff: http://www.daap.uc.edu/daapworks/2009/detail?work_id=2257. You can click on any of the images to get an expanded view. If you want to check out my entire thesis document, you can find that here: http://www.daapspace.daap.uc.edu/~zerhusrf..._renderings.pdf

On my one day off from Coney this week (today) I am working on updating my portfolio and trying to track down some places to apply to for full time employment.

You know I will, I may need to see what Buddy Bill is doing on Friday. I really think this is what we are going to do I'll let you know for sure as we get closer. BTW the work I get in the Cincy and N KY area has been sporadic the past month and darn if I had work the week before and the week after your presentation display at the University. I really would have like to seen it and Congratulations. (did I miss a thread on this?)

Yes, there was a thread talking about when and what the event for his project was.

Also, on a side note, for anyone looking for something to do on the Fourth of July, you could go to the Sports Complex on Grroms Road in Blue Ash. Now, there aren't roller coasters, but there are some small rides you could try (nothing like an amusement park :P ). I go there every year with my family and it's pretty fun. We usually get there around 8 or 8:30 and don't ride anything or really eat anything, but we just walk around and sit down and talk. I HIGHLY recommend it, although I haven't ever heard of the musical performances for this year. Here is the link to the website with all of the information you'll need.

Great news, We have adjusted our July 4th plans to reflect Robbie and Bills recommendations and we are looking forward to doing something new. Strange thing happened, all my customers are closed on Friday but one decided to open up on the 4th so I had to find someone to cover. I just booked the Marriott River Center four star hotel on priceline for get this $60.00 (I got a receipt to prove it) while the other on line sites list it for $149.00 that night. We stayed there once before way back in 2000 about a month after Miss Rae was born

0_0_d984f950793e404a77e3d572e269e024_1.j

You can see the Marriott over my right shoulder in the picture above. Needless to say we are very excited about doing some things we enjoyed in our past plus discovering some new adventures.

Robbie I'll get with you later about times and looking forward to meeting up at some point and thank you very much for all the great information.

Bill – We have never been to Strickers Grove and we are almost looking forward to it as much as I am about finally meeting all the special people your life. It's like icing on the cake. So thank you too for all the information and suggestion. Talk to you soon Buddy..

Diamondback FOF thanks for information feedback and sorry I was not clear in my post, what I was congratulating Robbie on was his graduation from DAAP. I knew it was coming up but a long time moderator graduating with a master after six years seemed to me that I must have missed a separate thread somewhere.