New Kids on the Block Member Rides Diamondback

BoddaH1994

4822_113163525912_61950580912_2562112_32

New Kids on the Block band member Donnie Wahlberg (front seat, right) takes a ride on the new Diamondback roller coaster at Kings Island on Saturday. The Dorchester, Massachusetts native’s background also includes feature films and television and is notably recognized in his roles in the Saw films.

Photo credit: Don Helbig

• Like 2

Yes, but only very early on:

...Mark himself had been an original member of the band but had backed out early on - uncomfortable with the squeaky clean image of the group. A precursor to the boy-band craze, New Kids on the Block were dominating the charts and were on top of their game. Donnie decided to help his little brother out and tried to get him on the straight and narrow. He pulled some strings and got Mark set up with a recording contract. Despite a lack of singing ability, promoters took to his dance moves and a physique they knew teenage girls would love. Donnie scripted some easy songs for Mark, who collected a troupe of dancers and a DJ to become his "Funky Bunch" and "Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch" was born. His debut album, "Music for the People", was a smash hit, which was propelled along by the rapper's willingness to disrobe down to boxer-briefs on stage, not to mention several catchy tunes...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000242/bio

This is a very good resource for all things show business.

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I saw NKOTB in concert twice at Timberwolf. The first time they opened for Tiffany. The next year, Tiffany opened for them (and she came out to boo's from the mainly pre-pubescent female crowd). Someone had to take my younger sister to the concert, you know... Of course, being a young male at the time, I may have had a thing for Tiffany (and Debbie Gibson too) so I didn't mind too much. :P

• 5 years later...

Ok seeing as this thread got a 6 year bump, I have to give Ryan some flack for calling New Kids on The Block a "Band". Granted I was only in fourth grade when they were popular, but I don't remember seeing them pick up an instruments. I also remember hearing that when they came to Indy, they were lip syncing and their music and vocals started to skip. 

• Like 5

I liked them OK until I heard them perform on Oprah at the dawn of their popularity. They weren't lip-syncing (although they should have). I couldn't believe that was what they really sounded like, and it did a good of keeping the tween me from getting swept into that marketing frenzy. That, and the girls I didn't like were way too into them...

• Like 1

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I saw NKOTB in concert twice at Timberwolf. The first time they opened for Tiffany. The next year, Tiffany opened for them (and she came out to boo's from the mainly pre-pubescent female crowd). Someone had to take my younger sister to the concert, you know... Of course, being a young male at the time, I may have had a thing for Tiffany (and Debbie Gibson too) so I didn't mind too much. tongue.gif

Yeah I went to the first one with my sister. lol

• Like 1