Tempest gone 2010?

I was just at Coney earlier today, and when I came to Tempest, it was completely taken apart and seven people were working on it. All of the chains and parts looked horribly rusted and corroded. I'm wondering if you can fix something like that. Its been closed for a week now and I'm hoping it reopens.

I hope so! Tempest is one of the few rides that you can conveniently find operating that once operated at Americana!

Thats true, are all the rides at Americana just rotting, or have they been sold?

Many have been sold and many are rotting.

Electric Rainbow is at Stricker's Grove. Calypso and the tubs from Flyers are at Fun Spot, which is not operating this year. Serpent is at Kokomos Family Fun Center in Michigan. Many of the other rides have also been sold to carnivals. Unfortunately Whip, Raging Thunder, and of course the legendary Screechin Eagle are all classics that desperately need saving, but likely will not be.

There is another Americana ride operating at Coney Island. The Rock O Planes came from Americana! And, the Tilt-A-Whirl came from neighboring Fantasy Farm.

Tempest is undergoing some major repair work (obviously, since the ride is almost completely disassembled right now). It will be operating again soon. There is a chance it may even be open by the Fourth of July.

They put Tempest back together Thursday, but I rode it yesterday and there seems to be something wrong with it. I've rode it before where it spins very little but this particular time it did not spin AT ALL.

Also, they're not loading it to full capacity, the girl running it said to balance out the weight.

Edit- I just rode it again and it spinned (sp.?) better than ever. A great ride.

I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with Tempest. The ride reopened in time for July 3rd and balloon glow. Props go to Coney`s maintenance team for getting the ride ready. They worked long hours this past week to get it ready for July 3rd, which is one of the busiest days of the season at Coney.

When I rode it in the late afternoon, the ride was almost completely loaded. The ride does need to be balanced (loading people in certain cars in equal numbers) to prevent the chains from breaking. And on the subject of spinning. That too depends on where people sit in a car and how the weight is distributed. The ride I had on the Tempest was pretty intense and featured a lot of spinning.

My family rode it yesterday too, it had no problem spinning for us. After riding Tempeast I had to sit out a couple spinning rides as my head seemed to be still spinning. We had a great time at Coney Island and look forward to sharing our experence when we get home. Coney has it!!!!

I`m glad you had fun Jesse! I would have met up with you (I was off for part of the evening), but needless to say the park was pretty crazy! I ended up not leaving the park until close to midnight (helped clean up the park after the crowds filtered out). And now, I`m set to leave for another 11 hour day at the park, weather permitting.

I would love to see a whip at Coney or even at KI. Considering that the kiddie one at KI is a huge hit, I'm sure a full-sized one would also be a huge hit.

CI still has the original building that housed The Whip, Cuddle Up and Dodgems!

pilotank

• 2 weeks later...