Calling all Exceptional Size riders

ShhhQ

We are planning a trip to Kings Island in Aug. We haven't been there in about 11 years and I am a bit concerned about the "Riders of Exceptional Size" warnings. I am 5'3" and weigh about 280lbs (a couple of sizes larger than last time).

In recent years we have gone to Holiday World and found many rides tight... Voyager (snug, but fit uncomfortably), Raven (snug but ok), Legend (very snug, but rode on it... with embarrassment) everything else was ok.

The past 2 years, we went to Disney World and I was able to ride everything I wanted with no discomfort at all.

I took a few measurements and found my waist to be about 48", my thighs to be about 30" around, however I tend to carry more weight in my hips so I measured that and it is 58" around.

My questions are... what rides should I definately avoid?, what rides should be ok?, what rides may could be iffy?, and what rides have test seats? also.. are the test seats embarrassing to try?

I like a variety of rides but have to avoid spinning rides (slow or fast) so those dont matter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Diamondback, Flight of Fear, Drop Tower and The Crypt are all going to be very iffy. If you fit Voyage and Raven, you MAY fit Beast and Racer...or not. Beast and Racer both require the lap bar go down two clicks, and the click settings are lower than in any other park in America, in my experience. Diamondback has a test seat at its entrance, as does The Crypt and Delirium. Racer and Beast do not. Son of Beast you may or may not fit and there is no test seat. SOB's trains are very similar to those that were once on Legend, but Legend now has trains like those on Racer and Beast, not what is now on Son of Beast. I would NOT let anyone embarrass me for using the test seat. I have myself lost a great deal of weight, and insisted (for reasons of my own that I will not go into here) on trying the test seat on Diamondback's opening day. The ride op looked rather flustered, but that was HER problem, not mine.

Others who may approximate your body shape and size may well post here and add more insight. Have fun!

I'm about 5'6" and right at 200 lbs and 40" waist. I've never measured my hips but I call mine child bearing hips and they're usually what give me the most trouble. I'll tell you what's tight for me and that means it's probably going to be out for you.

Beast is very snug on my hips, takes some manuevering to get in comfortably but I can definitely do it comfortablyy

. Lap bar is not an issue. Racer is the same.

Flight of Fear is a squeeze for my husband, but I can usually get in it just fine. It's dependant on leg length and belly size.

Drop Tower... Don't even try. Very short seat belts.

Diamondback... With 30" thighs you might be good to go on it, but defintely try the test seat first.

You should be good on Adventure Express, Firehawk, Flight Deck, Vortex. If there is a test seat use it. It is not at all embarrasing, especially compared to taking a walk of shame.

Posted from my BlackBerry mobile device.

Not to be mean or anything because I am a big guy, but very proportional. I am 6'2 290 with thick quads. I have wider hip bones, but I also wear 42in waist.

I can get on Dragster with some struggle.

If my friend helps me he can get me on MF.

I get 1 click on Diamondback... so I could not ride.

I fit on everything at KI.. Drop Tower, faceoff, delirum, everything else.... It might be a tad snug, but no biggie.

Now on to Holiday world.

I went there last year and notice a HUGE room difference at HW vs KI or CP.. I round HW to be very roomie on me. but most of the PTC train issues I have is legroom.

As far as test seat.. there are not many at KI... But they are NOT embarrassing at all. Most ppl getting in line dont care about you trying to fit, they are just excited to get in line.

You should also keep in mind seat and restraints have changed over the years.. EVERYTHING has a seatbelt, and most of the PTC trains have dividers and have for years.. I dont think they all did years ago, but could be wrong.

One tip I can give you is just wear swim trunks all day, that helps me, but also I hate having layers of clothes on when its hot.

Other than that, have fun, and if needed get some thrills at water park, and motivate yourself to drop some pounds for next season...

I found that my I am pretty much close to my threshold at this current weight and Have lost 11lbs in 3 weeks and plan on being down 10 more by August.

Thank you all for answering... that is just the information I have been searching for.

Haven't had an issue too much with belts or lap bars (a few times I worried bout it though) my biggest problem has been the seat widths due to the wide hips. I will try the test seat for Diamondback, but will hope for the best while expecting the worst.... that usually softens the blow if I get disappointed, but brings extra joy if its ok.

I've been a couple of times this summer. I'm about 2 inches taller and 10 lbs. heavier than you are.

I didn't pass the test seat for Diamondback. I'm, um, chesty and couldn't get the belt to click on Vortex. I was cool on Invertigo. I was fine on Delirium. I didn't even try Firehawk. I've ridden Beast with the current restraint in the past and I can ride it but it's a squeeze and really uncomfortable. Stunt Coaster is fine. If you can't get enough clicks, have your riding partner stand up and push down a ton.

I mostly don't even try to ride a lot of rides as I dread the "walk of shame". But I know for a fact that you're fine on the ones I listed.

Just have fun and try all the restraints you're not afraid to try. I'm just a chicken to try them in front of a bunch of people.

I've been a couple of times this summer. I'm about 2 inches taller and 10 lbs. heavier than you are.

I didn't pass the test seat for Diamondback. I'm, um, chesty and couldn't get the belt to click on Vortex. I was cool on Invertigo. I was fine on Delirium. I didn't even try Firehawk. I've ridden Beast with the current restraint in the past and I can ride it but it's a squeeze and really uncomfortable. Stunt Coaster is fine. If you can't get enough clicks, have your riding partner stand up and push down a ton.

I mostly don't even try to ride a lot of rides as I dread the "walk of shame". But I know for a fact that you're fine on the ones I listed.

Just have fun and try all the restraints you're not afraid to try. I'm just a chicken to try them in front of a bunch of people.

BLSC & FOF are a tight fit for me & even KD's woodies are now hard to get into.

• 1 month later...

Just an update.... maybe will help someone else with size issues..

We just visited the park yesterday...

First thing, I went straight to Diamondback to try the test seat... it was a no go for me

(quite honestly, even though it was expected it was still a hard blow)

Walked away dejected and found Backlot Stunt Coaster... was scared of being turned away but remembered someone said I should be good on this.... and I was, but just barely (the ride checker seemed to think that it needed to go down another notch, but then changed her mind, and I breathed a sigh of relief)

I continued further down and came to Flight of Fear and Firehawk... was gonna try Firehawk, but changed my mind and headed to FOF... I asked the person at the gate what the seats were like and she advised me that I should be ok, but the back seats of the cars are a little bigger than the fronts. So once I got inside I got in the back... the very back! I got in ok (seats were wide enough) but the guy checking the bars felt I needed extra protection (or maybe he normally does it, I don't know), he attached a seat belt to the lap bar to keep it fastened.... on a side note, this ride isn't as much fun as it used to be... riding in the dark was so much of the charm that now being able to see the ride kinda ruined the effect) BUT when the ride stopped the 2 ride operators at the end let us out, but my arm was not long enough to unfasten that belt from the lapbar, and the ops were talking about something and didn't notice that I couldn't get out... until all the other passengers were going out... then they let me out.

I chickened out of going on Firehawk after all... thought I would go back later, but never made it.

I was later able to get on Adventure Express (the seats weren't that comfortable, but I fit ok) and Flight Deck was good too... but after all those steps I was too worn out for more coasters.

Unfortunately, the weather wasn't the warmest while we were there so didn't even head over to BB... I just got drenched on the other water rides..... (both times I rode Congo, the jets of water at the end found me and I walked away drenched)

All in all, we had a good day, but found that the park could do with more family friendly rides (such as the Scooby Doo dark ride) and shows.... whatever happened to all the magic shows or animal acts... not just singing.

Thanks again to all who gave advice it did help me out.

Most of the coasters have a seat belt that either goes around you or attaches to the restraint. FOF, Vortex, Flight Deck, Invertigo and Drop Tower attach to the restraint. Beast, Racer, Son of Beast (when running) and Adventure Express have a belt that goes around you. Backlot and Diamondback do not have seat belts, instead they use other methods as their secondary restraint system.

Flight of Fear I've noticed is a little tighter with the seat belt than it used to be without. You have to get it down to a certain click to get it to buckle on to the restraint. Joker's Jinx's belts are a smidge longer as I was not as crammed in trying to get it to buckle. FOF is also not as fun with the complete stop on the MCBR that the train used to blow right through, but that's not an argument for this thread. :)

• 4 years later...

Visited park on 6/8/2014 read this blog before my trip, so I thought I would add my experience to help others.

First of all our family had a BLAST!!!!!

The only place I had issues was the staff at the scooter rental. I will post my rant at bottom so youFirst of all I was embarrassed to get a scooter. I did not want to be the 'fat girl' in the scooter but recently had major surgery that wouldn't allow me to walk or stand for long periods, however doc said coasters were ok. You can not take the scooters out of the park. We brought or lunch and wanted to go out outside to eat. I was told when I rented the scooter for $50 that I can turn it in then bring my receipt and get it back if I wanted to go outside. But...when I went to do this I was told my scooter would go back up to rent and if there were none available when I came back I would not get one. I saw red! The girl was very rude about it too. I asked to talk to a supervisor. As we were waiting for the supervisor, the girl reminded me several times in a 'snotty' tone that the supervisor was going to tell me the same thing. The supervisor arrived and yes she did tell me the same thing in a MUCH nicer tone, but also said because it was later in the day, they had scooters on hand, that she was more than sure that one would be available. I felt reassured. Amazing the difference customer service makes. At one point I left my scooter, took the key with me, to go watch my kids do something thinking it was safe because I had the key. Came back about 10 minutes later and it was gone! I freaked and had panic attack melt down. Went to the scooter rental place and it was there. They thought it was abandon. Ok, I do understand but it caused a MAJOR freak out, lesson learned. But, while I was at the scooter station I overheard the girl working give the spew about "If you return it, just bring your receipt to get it back" to someone and I looked right at her in front of the customer and told her that it was not a true statement and they need to quit saying it.

I am person of larger size and was worried about fitting onto rides, walks of shame etc. I am 5'4" weighing about 275 . Large hips and lower abdomen. There were some rides I fit, and some I didn't. I will list below. But the staff was AWESOME!!!!!! They never made me feel bad about asking to fit or my walk of shames. The rides without test seats I asked attendant at front if I could try a car before waiting. Was greeted with a smile and a 'sure no problem.' allowed to go into the exit and try a car. The attendants would wait till next train came and let me try before people boarded. When it didn't work, the attendant's apologized and made me feel they were truly sorry I wouldn't be able to ride. I NEVER felt shamed!

Rides with test seats I did not fit:

Delirium

Banshee

Diamond Back

Rides I did not fit, but tried through exit:

WindSeeker

Rides I fit, but barely, staff was awesome about squeezing me in:

Firehawk

Flight of Fear

Backlot Stunt Coaster

Rides I fit:

The Bat

Adventure Express

The Vortex

Congo Falls, White Water Canyon, Race for you Life (log ride)

I did not try Invertigo for time reasons.

I did not try Beast or Racers because a few years and pounds ago I barely fit, so didn't bother.

I did not try any kid or smaller rides except Boo Blaster which was no problem.

We did not visit Soak City.

Visited park on 6/8/2014 read this blog before my trip, so I thought I would add my experience to help others.

First of all our family had a BLAST!!!!!

The only place I had issues was the staff at the scooter rental. I will post my rant at bottom so youFirst of all I was embarrassed to get a scooter. I did not want to be the 'fat girl' in the scooter but recently had major surgery that wouldn't allow me to walk or stand for long periods, however doc said coasters were ok. You can not take the scooters out of the park. We brought or lunch and wanted to go out outside to eat. I was told when I rented the scooter for $50 that I can turn it in then bring my receipt and get it back if I wanted to go outside. But...when I went to do this I was told my scooter would go back up to rent and if there were none available when I came back I would not get one. I saw red! The girl was very rude about it too. I asked to talk to a supervisor. As we were waiting for the supervisor, the girl reminded me several times in a 'snotty' tone that the supervisor was going to tell me the same thing. The supervisor arrived and yes she did tell me the same thing in a MUCH nicer tone, but also said because it was later in the day, they had scooters on hand, that she was more than sure that one would be available. I felt reassured. Amazing the difference customer service makes. At one point I left my scooter, took the key with me, to go watch my kids do something thinking it was safe because I had the key. Came back about 10 minutes later and it was gone! I freaked and had panic attack melt down. Went to the scooter rental place and it was there. They thought it was abandon. Ok, I do understand but it caused a MAJOR freak out, lesson learned. But, while I was at the scooter station I overheard the girl working give the spew about "If you return it, just bring your receipt to get it back" to someone and I looked right at her in front of the customer and told her that it was not a true statement and they need to quit saying it.

I am person of larger size and was worried about fitting onto rides, walks of shame etc. I am 5'4" weighing about 275 . Large hips and lower abdomen. There were some rides I fit, and some I didn't. I will list below. But the staff was AWESOME!!!!!! They never made me feel bad about asking to fit or my walk of shames. The rides without test seats I asked attendant at front if I could try a car before waiting. Was greeted with a smile and a 'sure no problem.' allowed to go into the exit and try a car. The attendants would wait till next train came and let me try before people boarded. When it didn't work, the attendant's apologized and made me feel they were truly sorry I wouldn't be able to ride. I NEVER felt shamed!

Rides with test seats I did not fit:

Delirium

Banshee

Diamond Back

Rides I did not fit, but tried through exit:

WindSeeker

Rides I fit, but barely, staff was awesome about squeezing me in:

Firehawk

Flight of Fear

Backlot Stunt Coaster

Rides I fit:

The Bat

Adventure Express

The Vortex

Congo Falls, White Water Canyon, Race for you Life (log ride)

I did not try Invertigo for time reasons.

I did not try Beast or Racers because a few years and pounds ago I barely fit, so didn't bother.

I did not try any kid or smaller rides except Boo Blaster which was no problem.

We did not visit Soak City.

• Like 1