Top Gun Closed...

hausty1983

That doesnt mean anything. SOB has 3 trains, while TG has 2. Statestically, just by going with that, SOB can get more people on the ride in one hour.

Then again, you have to figure out ride length, how fast the ops are going, ect. A lot factors into it, but line length, I really dont go by. You really need to see the capacity reports at the end of the day.

That doesnt mean anything. SOB has 3 trains, while TG has 2. Statestically, just by going with that, SOB can get more people on the ride in one hour.

Then again, you have to figure out ride length, how fast the ops are going, ect. A lot factors into it, but line length, I really dont go by. You really need to see the capacity reports at the end of the day.

Sure, SOB has three trains, but when was the last time they used all three at the same time?

I thought when they first put in SOB it was designed to run with three trains. I remember that at first they had three trains on the circuit, but had problems getting the system to let them run all three trains at once. so, this I believe is why there are only two trains running on it now.

SOB has three trains, but has never ever ran all three, and never will. The ride simply isnt long enough. "But i sware...i went there once and they were running 3..." No they werent. It has never ran three...and as for you Mr. SOBTOM, you out of all people should know that we've never ran 3.

Top Gun was most likley closed becasue of most of the employes still being in school, they were handing out flyers at the front of the park explaining this.

SOB has three trains, but has never ever ran all three, and never will.  The ride simply isnt long enough.  "But i sware...i went there once and they were running 3..."  No they werent.  It has never ran three...and as for you Mr. SOBTOM, you out of all people should know that we've never ran 3. 

\.

Son of Beast not long enough to run three trains? That isn't true at all. 7000 feet of track is far from being a short ride. I have a couple thoughts as to why running three trains never materialized.

1. Ridership: 1st season was tough, it was late summer before a second train was able to be added. After it was, a lengthy line for Sonny just didn't happen that often. I was there at least 2-3 times a week, so I was able to do a lot of observing. I think it is pretty well known that Son of Beast didn't quite make the impact expected.

2. Maintanance: If capacity is very efficient with 2 trains, why put more wear and tear on the track by placing a third train on?

Honestly, I see no reason for running three trains on the ride, I can't tell y ou the last time I've actually waited more than 20 minutes for it. I think its perfectly fine the way it is..

On a side note, I think I had my best ever ride on it about a week ago. Fairly smooth and running fast, best I've *ever* seen the second half run! Job well done by PKI on keeping Sonny running well!

- Delirium Guy

Son of Beast not long enough to run three trains?  That isn't true at all.  7000 feet of track is far from being a short ride.  I have a couple thoughts as to why running three trains never materialized.

Actually it is too short to run 3 trains , Actually Length of the ride has nothing to do with it really, plus it goes 78 M.PH. where as Beast is longer, and can run 3 trains but it also has more blocks than SOB does. If they ran 3 trains on it, it would set up on the mid course all the time, in which wouldn't help capacity anyways.

Edited by FoF

The simple reason for SOB not running 3 trains is blocking. PKI requires that there be an empty block between trains. SOB was originally intended to have enough blocks to allow 3 train operation. However after initial tests, they determined it was better to operate with two.

I'll explain....

If a train was stalled in the station waiting for the train ahead to drop off the lift, then the 3rd train returning from the course would either be stopped on the mid-course break or final break run. That is an immediate set-up either way. Again, PKI will not operate their coasters in a way that allows a train to proceed unless there is one full empty block ahead of it. It is like a catch 22.... the train on the lift can't drop off because the train ahead of it can't move past the next block, it can't move past the next block because the train ahead of it is stalled in the station waiting for the train on the lift to drop... Get it? It's confusing I know, but all has to do with blocks.

Shaggy

Couldnt have put it better myself...and as for you up there mr. smarty pants, im pretty sure you should drop the ego about how many trains SOB runs if you dont even know what a block is. All i was saying is that it can run 3 trains, as mentioned above, one full block must be clear ahead of a train for it to move into that block. In simple terms, on any coaster the number of trains you can run is the number of blocks minus one.