Flight Deck Poll

McSalsa

OK, it's been a month or so, so if I am going to keep this up for all the KI coasters, I had better get back to these.

With the popular rumor that Flight Deck is going to be removed, I chose it.

Rate Flight Deck!

Fact: Flight Deck has killed, indirectly, more riders than Beast, Son of Beast, Diamondback, Invertigo, Flight of Fear, Vortex, Drop Tower, Delirium, The Crypt, and Firehawk combined.

I dont see how a heart attack can be blamed on a ride. She would of had that heart attack anywhere

I don't blame the ride, but it still "counts" since it did occur while on Flight Deck. Had it happened on any other ride, that ride could still be attributed no matter how non-intense. I wonder if the park billing it as a family ride affected her desicion to ride it, it's the only larger coaster with a rating of 4/5 on the 2009 park map now that Racer was upgraded to a 5.

It has still killed more riders than all of the said rides combined, however.

Spoiler: In case you didn't know, all of the listed rides have spotless records when it comes to fatalities. Injuries? Of course. But not deaths. Even SOB has yet to kill someone...

No mention of SOB's "repoted" 5/31/2009 accident on that second site...weird. I also see some clear fake accidents in the un-verified section.

This is getting off topic...

I dont see how a heart attack can be blamed on a ride. She would of had that heart attack anywhere

I don't blame the ride, but it still "counts" since it did occur while on Flight Deck. Had it happened on any other ride, that ride could still be attributed no matter how non-intense. I wonder if the park billing it as a family ride affected her desicion to ride it, it's the only larger coaster with a rating of 4/5 on the 2009 park map now that Racer was upgraded to a 5.

Spoiler: In case you didn't know, all of the listed rides have spotless records when it comes to fatalities. Injuries? Of course. But not deaths. Even SOB has yet to kill someone...

Did she die on the ride? No. Was it the rides fault? No.

She did not die ON the ride, true. The ride's fault? Yes and No. It killed her by doing what Flight Deck was designed to do- thrill. The problem was she has a heart condition and should not have been riding thrill rides. She did have the fatal heart attack on the ride. You should get checked by a doctor even if you think you are healthy- you might be shocked by the results. She did not do this, and that too can be blamed.

It's a complex issue. Perhaps I should have never stated that as a "Fun Fact". And I just realized there is nothing fun about any death caused by anything.

I'll edit that and just say "Fact".

Maybe you should eliminate the whole "fact"

People here like KI, and all the rides there.

Someones death or injury being blamed on a ride is going to give that ride a sense of being unsafe.

Doesn't matter if that was the intent or not, it is going to get people here worked up.

She did not die ON the ride, true. The ride's fault? Yes and No. It killed her by doing what Flight Deck was designed to do- thrill. The problem was she has a heart condition and should not have been riding thrill rides. She did have the fatal heart attack on the ride. You should get checked by a doctor even if you think you are healthy- you might be shocked by the results. She did not do this, and that too can be blamed.

It's a complex issue. Perhaps I should have never stated that as a "Fun Fact". And I just realized there is nothing fun about any death caused by anything.

I'll edit that and just say "Fact".

She had no heart condition before that, and how do you know she didn't go to the doctor? What if she just came from the doctor? Just because she had it on the ride, doesn't mean it is the rides fault.

Possibly...it would probably just be better to ignore the entire "Flight Deck killed someone" thing entirely from here on. It's way too complex and is getting way off topic.

On another note- no one has rode The Bat? Wow, Bat Rides really were rare.

Well, maybe when some older riders get to this poll...

Top Gun is amazing, before Diamondback it was the best steel Coaster at Kings Island. It's also one of the hidden jewels of the park since there is usually no line for it, it's a great ride, and you can reride it. It has no pain at all either.

Possibly...it would probably just be better to ignore the entire "Flight Deck killed someone" thing entirely from here on. It's way too complex and is getting way off topic.

On another note- no one has rode The Bat? Wow, Bat Rides really were rare.

Well, maybe when some older riders get to this poll...

I rode The Bat when I was wee lad. I remember it being very intense and when me and my mother got off we said we would not ride it again. I still think it was a better ride as far as intensity goes.

7/12/2003 - The Beast - Submitted by vbrulz on 8/13/2004

I found out the hard way that the "Beast is always lurking". Immediately upon entering the first tunnel of the spiral my arms extended up (against the rules, I know, that is why they have the signs) It jerked my arm left in the front car. I brushed the knuckle of my pinky against the wood plank on the inside of the tunnel. Luckily it was just a decent gash/burn (no stiches). When it hit my arm wasn't fully extended. I probably could have extended it another 5-6 inches. Had that happened a fraction of a second sooner (ie outside of the tunnel) I cringe to think what could have happened when we entered. It could have snapped my arm/elbow like a twig. Keep in mind I have grown up on this ride and have spent countless summers on it. I am 29 years old and probably have riden it between 250-300 times. In all that time of riding The Beast I had never experienced anything of this nature before. After it happened my friend insisted we ride again, so we have a neat picture of my still bleeding knuckle next to the "Warning: The Beast is always lurking" sign.

This incident has not been confirmed. Click here if you can verify it, or have additional information.

Wait... you aren't allowed to hold your hands up?

My prayers go out to the family, I'm just glad she didn't have the heart attack while she was driving to the park, they both could of died if that happened! And I hope this doesn't traumatise the poor 7 year old from riding in the future.

Flight Deck is one of the better suspended coasters I have ridden and the ride is actually enjoyable. I wish I would have got to ride it when the Top Gun theming was heavy. Correct me if I am wrong here, but didn't you use to wait in line under the actual station as well, because when you are in line you can see what looks to be a queue line under there.

Flight Deck is one of the better suspended coasters I have ridden and the ride is actually enjoyable. I wish I would have got to ride it when the Top Gun theming was heavy. Correct me if I am wrong here, but didn't you use to wait in line under the actual station as well, because when you are in line you can see what looks to be a queue line under there.

Yeah, the line used to snake under there, and they radars, and all kinds of stuff. The themeing was very well done.