Backwards Racer

Guest PizzaBaby027

Guest KINGSISLANDMASTER

Does anyone beside myself miss the backwards Racer.

I mean at first I liked the idea of having The Racer back to its original format, made the park feel more , you know like a amusement park instead of a theme park.

But as I ride all the ride millions of time they become less thrilling, and not have time, or money to go to Ceder Point I really need a thrill, I wish the backwards Racer was "Back" again.

I go everyday to KI and nothing is really all that "AWWWAAAWWAAAYAAAH" feeling like it was at the beginning of the year, the backwards Racer was always thrilling.

Hey maybe I should suggest to the park to make Diamondback go backwards, or make at least one train on every coaster go backwards.

How awesome would that be!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be the only one on here that didn't like recaR because at the time I didn't like roller coasters. I wouldn't mind having it back, though. Just as long as it's smoother than what Blue Racer is now. :wacko:

I don't see them turning any coasters backwards, you have to modify brake fins, roll backs and chain dogs locations. Backwards Racer was beginning to hurt alot especially my lower back. Maybe they can run Timberliners backwards ;) Gravity Group shout out

that photo of the sign looks sweet.

and my bad my memorie is patchy like that.

Yeah, I used to love looking at that sign back in the day. I actually kinda miss it. With respect to your memory, don't worry about it.

Tom, who remembers things from 10 years ago vividly, but can't remember what he did 10 minutes ago. ;)

When I worked at KI I was told by maintenance the backwards racer was a real pain to maintain. I'm guessing the hours and money spent on keeping it backwards was too much. I don't know if that is the true reason but is a possibility.

Does anyone beside myself miss the backwards Racer.

I mean at first I liked the idea of having The Racer back to its original format, made the park feel more , you know like a amusement park instead of a theme park.

How exactly does the orientation of one side of The Racer influence whether Kings Island is an amusement park or a theme park? It seems to me that the two subjects are completely unrelated.

Also just so we're clear; when a park is deciding whether or not to turn a coaster train backwards, the biggest influence to the decision is: Insurance Rates.

Cedar Fair Did the change i'm sure for insurance. I'm sure Insurance costs are staggering, jolting, horrifying in the industry, Why is it at Six flags kk kids can ride there similar white water canyon, same anyone can ride the family tube ride at great wolf not at KI?? Different insurance, safety etc. guidlines.

And whats sad Kings Island a many of the days don't even race them!!! Saves money too having one side .

Oh well, what can you do?

Cedar Fair Did the change i'm sure for insurance. I'm sure Insurance costs are staggering, jolting, horrifying in the industry, Why is it at Six flags kk kids can ride there similar white water canyon, same anyone can ride the family tube ride at great wolf not at KI?? Different insurance, safety etc. guidlines.

And whats sad Kings Island a many of the days don't even race them!!! Saves money too having one side .

Oh well, what can you do?

What?! Did you even attempt to proofread this before you posted it?!

Yeah, I used to love looking at that sign back in the day. I actually kinda miss it. With respect to your memory, don't worry about it.

Tom, who remembers things from 10 years ago vividly, but can't remember what he did 10 minutes ago. ;)

Wooferbear ... Who remembers things vividly from 30 years ago but can't remember what he did 3 minutes ago. <G>

...Also just so we're clear; when a park is deciding whether or not to turn a coaster train backwards, the biggest influence to the decision is: Insurance Rates.

Actually, I thought the biggest influence was nostalgia.

More seriously, the biggest influence is manufacturer's recommendations, especially in Ohio. Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, the manufacturer of The Racer trains, now does not recommend running them backwards. And, therefore, the park no longer runs recaR as such.

It's all nostalgia. Or something like that.

By the way, in Ohio, amusement ride owners and operators MUST follow manufacturer recommendations in order for a ride to be licensed.

Wooferbear ... Who remembers things vividly from 30 years ago but can't remember what he did 3 minutes ago. <G>

watch out your showing your age.

rotag, who knows some like to keep their age a secret.

^

Now if we could just get PTC to specifically not recommend trim brakes . . .

Boy is that the truth.

With the trims on The Beast it has allowed Ravine Flyer II to surpass it as my favorite woodie. I will be riding Voyage for the first time next week, so I am guessing that Beast will move down to #3. Next month will be El Toro so I am afraid that my beloved Beast could slip even farther.

^

Now if we could just get PTC to specifically not recommend trim brakes . . .

Boy is that the truth.

With the trims on The Beast it has allowed Ravine Flyer II to surpass it as my favorite woodie. I will be riding Voyage for the first time next week, so I am guessing that Beast will move down to #3. Next month will be El Toro so I am afraid that my beloved Beast could slip even farther.

The only reason The Beast is still my number one woodie is because of the memories I have of it, the location of it, and the night rides. If it was just some coaster over a concrete plot of land it wouldn't be my favorite, the Voyage would. I probably rode The Beast when it wasn't trimmed to death but I just can't remember.

On topic, I personally really don't care that The Racer isn't backwards anymore. It's just the same track but like you're riding in the back of a truck.

...which is now illegal in most places.

Terpy, whose scoutmaster often tossed him and the other kids in the back of an open bed pickup, and thought nothing of it; whose mother let him ride in the front seat (what are seatbelts? And safety seats? You mean that little chair that hung on clips over the back of the front seat just so you could see better?) and who let him ride on the back deck above the backseats! My crib had bars about a foot apart! We were allowed to sleep on our backs as little tykes, ate hot dogs, peanuts, etc. And most of us lived. Many didn't, but most did...Twas a simpler time....

...which is now illegal in most places.

Terpy, whose scoutmaster often tossed him and the other kids in the back of an open bed pickup, and thought nothing of it; whose mother let him ride in the front seat (what are seatbelts? And safety seats? You mean that little chair that hung on clips over the back of the front seat just so you could see better?) and who let him ride on the back deck above the backseats! My crib had bars about a foot apart! We were allowed to sleep on our backs as little tykes, ate hot dogs, peanuts, etc. And most of us lived. Many didn't, but most did...Twas a simpler time....

With much higher mortality rates. I work closely with the agency that investigates childhood deaths in my area and a major cause is suffocation on crib blankets. Who would've thought!!!!!! Second story windows aren't required to have screens but it would've stopped my 16 mo. old neighbor girl from falling (the landlord had screens installed that day btw). She bounced a few times and survived but... Safety restrictions are good though often very annoying and it's hard to decide where to stop.

Just sayin'

• 1 month later...

The backwards Racer is my favorite ride at Kings Island of all-time, it was the first adult coaster I ever rode, and it never lost it's thrill to me. I used to ride it 70 to 100 times a year, now I ride The Racer at the most a dozen time a year, it has lost a lot

Guest rcfreak339

I like The Racers foward, I never honestly like the backwards Racer...I really a major renovation would be in store. Like new shiny trains, complete re-track, paint it back to it's original colors and remove the walls from the brake run. Then it would be a must when you visit Kings Island although it still is.

Actually, what now is the red side used to run backwards.

http://rcdb.com/ig69.htm?picture=4

http://rcdb.com/ig69.htm?picture=6

Actually Blue and Red ran backwards... Forwards side had 1 red train and 1 blue train and Backwards had 1 red train and 1 blue train. Im sure people remember this. It was always fun seeing Red forward train vs Red backwards Train

*goes off and searches for photos*

I DO NOT OWN this photo Nor do I claim it as my own.

racer11.jpg

Image source : http://www.kiextreme.com/gallery/displayim...m=50&pos=24