Backwards Racer

Guest PizzaBaby027

Does anyone beside myself miss the backwards Racer.

I mean at first I liked the idea of having The Racer back to its original format, made the park feel more , you know like a amusement park instead of a theme park.

But as I ride all the ride millions of time they become less thrilling, and not have time, or money to go to Ceder Point I really need a thrill, I wish the backwards Racer was "Back" again.

I go everyday to KI and nothing is really all that "AWWWAAAWWAAAYAAAH" feeling like it was at the beginning of the year, the backwards Racer was always thrilling.

Hey maybe I should suggest to the park to make Diamondback go backwards, or make at least one train on every coaster go backwards.

How awesome would that be!!!!!!!!!

I miss the backwards Racer very much. It was one of my favorites :(

The backward racer did have such an "exciting" feel to it. (Maybe they will bring it back.....all they have to do is turn it around, I think.)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss the backwards Racer very much. It was one of my favorites :(

The backward racer did have such an "exciting" feel to it. (Maybe they will bring it back.....all they have to do is turn it around, I think.)

It's more complicated than that. They have to take all the mechanics under the train and relocate those as well... things like the chian dogs, relays, sensors, and brake components.

I do miss the backward Racer as well, but having both run forward and RACE is a fun part of the ride experience as well, trash-talking the other train as you go up the first hill.

I wish...:) I also miss the backwards racer. But I have a feeling that this wasn't all Cedar Fairs fault. If the rumors are true about PTC not recommending running there trains backwards this is why we no longer have Racer Backwards. Also I had the chance to ride American Eagle backwards at Six Flags Great America, back in 2004, AE no longer goes backwards either.

...Also just so we're clear; when a park is deciding whether or not to turn a coaster train backwards, the biggest influence to the decision is: Insurance Rates.

Actually, I thought the biggest influence was nostalgia.

More seriously, the biggest influence is manufacturer's recommendations, especially in Ohio. Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, the manufacturer of The Racer trains, now does not recommend running them backwards. And, therefore, the park no longer runs recaR as such.

It's all nostalgia. Or something like that.

By the way, in Ohio, amusement ride owners and operators MUST follow manufacturer recommendations in order for a ride to be licensed.

So how come the park ran The Racer backwards for 20 years? Didn't PTC say anything to them at some point during that time frame? Terpy, this was a question from someone on KI's Facebook not mine. I want to answer his question with the correct facts.

I wish...:) I also miss the backwards racer. But I have a feeling that this wasn't all Cedar Fairs fault. If the rumors are true about PTC not recommending running there trains backwards this is why we no longer have Racer Backwards. Also I had the chance to ride American Eagle backwards at Six Flags Great America, back in 2004, AE no longer goes backwards either.

Cedar Fair can now run only one side if they please. They couldn't find a single maunfacturer who would run their trains backwards? Surely, if Gerstlauer would allow their trains to run on SoB, they would allow them to run backwards on a tame family coaster...

Trains cost an unbelievably large amount of money. Parks don't replace trains on a whim. In Ohio, a ride operator has no choice but to follow the recommendations of the ride manufacturer(s), or the ride cannot be licensed to operate. And yes, just as PTC now recommends seatbelts in its classic wood coaster trains, it also now recommends they operate in a forward manner only. CCI did the same thing with its coasters in its last years.

There are several restraint issues that arise with backwards operation. I cannot imagine that Gerstlauer would be pleased to recommend that its trains run backwards. I doubt they would.

Out of sheer curiosity, I'm assuming that Illinois has different laws/practices regarding that operation? I know SFGAm has turned one side of the American Eagle backwards for their haunt on numerous occasions.. so is that because they're in Illinois, is it because it's a Six Flags park, or is it because they just don't bother heeding to the ride recommendations? Or something else...

American Eagle has run the blue side backward once or twice during the 90's for Fright Fest, but in 2002, the Blue side was turned backwards for what seemed like a permanent change. This lasted through I believe the 2006 season, when it was returned to forward operation only; I'm guessing also as a result of PTC's recommendations.

I miss both The Racer and Eagle backwards :(

Well, after a lot of research (about 10 minutes ;) ), the most recent incident of it running backward I can find for sure is in 2005. Although I'm pretty sure someone told me that they turned it around for the haunt in 2007.

EDIT: Never mind, apparently this has been answered :) I'll have to tell my friend they are lying!

I like The Racers foward, I never honestly like the backwards Racer...I really a major renovation would be in store. Like new shiny trains, complete re-track, paint it back to it's original colors and remove the walls from the brake run. Then it would be a must when you visit Kings Island although it still is.

i was thinking the walls are to the keep the riders from reaching out to grab the other riders if they reach the brakes late.

just guessing. I mean that is pretty fast,

I like The Racers foward, I never honestly like the backwards Racer...I really a major renovation would be in store. Like new shiny trains, complete re-track, paint it back to it's original colors and remove the walls from the brake run. Then it would be a must when you visit Kings Island although it still is.

i was thinking the walls are to the keep the riders from reaching out to grab the other riders if they reach the brakes late.

just guessing. I mean that is pretty fast,

They're pretty far apart.. Too far apart to grab each other's hands. But I think maybe the sheds are because of the grease that comes off the chain. There's a big huge black spot where chain grease is on the ground and there's lots of black splatters on the outer wall of the brake shed.

off topic, I work at The Racer and i heard some changes will possibly be done to the ride next year. Such as removing the break sheds so both sides can see who really won. Also painting the blue side blue and the red side red instead of just leaving it white and lastly, taking the big fence that seperates both sides so anyone could just walk up and choose which side they want to ride. It may no longer go backwards, but dramatic changes may be happening :rolleyes:

off topic, I work at The Racer and i heard some changes will possibly be done to the ride next year. Such as removing the break sheds so both sides can see who really won. Also painting the blue side blue and the red side red instead of just leaving it white and lastly, taking the big fence that seperates both sides so anyone could just walk up and choose which side they want to ride. It may no longer go backwards, but dramatic changes may be happening :rolleyes:

I think they should paint the railings on the blue side red, and the railings on the red side blue.. Just my thought.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah they really should just have 1 line with picking a side similar to Gemini.