Magnum vs. Diamondback vs. Millennium Force

KI Kevin

This was a tough decision but I would have to say Diamondback, then Millennium Force, easily my favorite two steel coasters, and Magnum 3rd. In my opinion, the only thing that Diamondback is lacking is true ejector hills, like the last couple on Magnum. If the last two hills prior to the final helix were more forcefully 'negative', the ride would be perfect. The tie breaker for Diamondback over Millennium Force is that Dback is something I could ride all day because it's so smooth; MF doesn't gluide over the track quite like Dback.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Just an aside, if you really do want to ride a coaster that is very similar to being pushed in a Kroger shopping cart, up hills then down rattly ones...try Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain at Indiana Beach!)

Forwards OR backwards! And make sure you're near bears. That's a must ;)

Guest rcfreak339

Millie-Diamondback-Magnum, I have never been on Diamonback (first trip will be labor day) but honestly better then MF? I'm not going to hype Diamonback as being better because if I do I have a gut feeling I will be highly disappointed. MF has everything in a ride your looking for...like everything. Height, Speed, Ejector Air, Smooth and reliable.

This was a tough decision but I would have to say Diamondback, then Millennium Force, easily my favorite two steel coasters, and Magnum 3rd. In my opinion, the only thing that Diamondback is lacking is true ejector hills, like the last couple on Magnum. If the last two hills prior to the final helix were more forcefully 'negative', the ride would be perfect. The tie breaker for Diamondback over Millennium Force is that Dback is something I could ride all day because it's so smooth; MF doesn't gluide over the track quite like Dback.

Excuse me, Diamondback lacking Ejector hills? HELLO? That's what Hills 1, 2, 3, and 5 provide for at least 2-3 seconds each! There are times when I have had to hold on with one hand because I feel I might fall out. Granted, I will give you the last 2 hills and their missing airtime, but Diamondback is FULL of ejector air.

Millie-Diamondback-Magnum, I have never been on Diamonback (first trip will be labor day) but honestly better then MF? I'm not going to hype Diamonback as being better because if I do I have a gut feeling I will be highly disappointed. MF has everything in a ride your looking for...like everything. Height, Speed, Ejector Air, Smooth and reliable.

If you have not ridden one of them, do not vote. You do not "Have the information required to make a logical decision".

Guest rcfreak339

Excuse me, Diamondback lacking Ejector hills? HELLO? That's what Hills 1, 2, 3, and 5 provide for at least 2-3 seconds each! There are times when I have had to hold on with one hand because I feel I might fall out. Granted, I will give you the last 2 hills and their missing airtime, but Diamondback is FULL of ejector air.

If you have not ridden one of them, do not vote. You do not "Have the information required to make a logical decision".

I'm just saying, I'm not going to hype Diamondback like it's going to be better then Millennium Force because if I do I have a feeling I will be disappointed. I have the right to vote whatever I want to. Millennium Force was a freaking amazing ride, I'm not saying that Diamondback won't be because it looks amazing also. But you have got to be crazy if I'm going to hype Diamondback as if it will be better then Millie....

In my opinion, it IS better than Millie. MUCH better, in fact. Although, I will say Millie is growing on me. My last ride at CoasterMania! was my best and I wouldn't mind riding it again. I wouldn't mind riding Diamondback again, though, either. 52 times STILL isn't enough on that airtime machine!

In my opinion, it IS better than Millie. MUCH better, in fact. Although, I will say Millie is growing on me. My last ride at CoasterMania! was my best and I wouldn't mind riding it again. I wouldn't mind riding Diamondback again, though, either. 52 times STILL isn't enough on that airtime machine!

Couldn't have said it better. Although, Millie is falling on me. I don't even find it to be much fun anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

1 MF

2 Magnum

3 DB

Millennium Force provides the ultimate ride experience for me. Riding it at night blows away its closest contenders IMO.

Magnum is a coaster that I like more and more every time I ride it. While the ride is not all that comfortable, it is far from being painful.

Diamondback is extremely overrated IMO. Good addition to KI, but nowhere near world class. The hill appears much smaller than it is. Doesn't look intimidating at all. Good drop tho. Doesn't hold its top speed at all, and I still don't believe the thing goes 80 at any point during the ride. Feels like 60-65. Airtime in general does nothing too much for my ride experience on any ride, so its no surprise that the airtime elements of DB do nothing for me. There are honestly a few days at KI where I would rather ride Vortex, Invertigo, or Outer Limits all over DB.

I would actually take MF, Maverick, TTD, Magnum, Raptor, and Wicked Twister all over DB.

1 MF

2 Magnum

3 DB

I would actually take MF, Maverick, TTD, Magnum, Raptor, and Wicked Twister all over DB.

I think I agree with you on 4 of those 6... MF, Maverick, Magnum, and Raptor. I love TTD, but it's too much of a one-trick pony, and WT is fun, but not as good as DBack IMO. Magnum is still my #2 coaster. Night rides in ejector seat = <3

1 MF

2 Magnum

3 DB

I think I agree with you on 4 of those 6... MF, Maverick, Magnum, and Raptor. I love TTD, but it's too much of a one-trick pony, and WT is fun, but not as good as DBack IMO. Magnum is still my #2 coaster. Night rides in ejector seat = <3

No, I agree with him. All of the airtime on Diamondback is floater, while Magnum's is ejector. Diamondbacks airtime is nothing even close to the same as those last few on Magnum. Diamondback is still the superior ride, IMO.

1 MF

2 Magnum

3 DB

Millennium Force provides the ultimate ride experience for me. Riding it at night blows away its closest contenders IMO.

Magnum is a coaster that I like more and more every time I ride it. While the ride is not all that comfortable, it is far from being painful.

Diamondback is extremely overrated IMO. Good addition to KI, but nowhere near world class. The hill appears much smaller than it is. Doesn't look intimidating at all. Good drop tho. Doesn't hold its top speed at all, and I still don't believe the thing goes 80 at any point during the ride. Feels like 60-65. Airtime in general does nothing too much for my ride experience on any ride, so its no surprise that the airtime elements of DB do nothing for me. There are honestly a few days at KI where I would rather ride Vortex, Invertigo, or Outer Limits all over DB.

Our opinions are completely the opposite. We have the same opinion on Magnum, but Diamondback and Millie need to be switched.

However, I would never say that Diamondback is the ULTIMATE ride experience.

I haven't ridden Diamondback but I think Millennium Force is still better. It doesn't seem like a fair contest to me. The drop is almost 100' taller than Diamondbacks.

I assume height means everything for you? No doubt MF has an incredible first drop. Taller and even a little steeper than DB. But I'll take the snake in pretty much every other aspect.

DB has...

-Superior air

-Superior trains/restraints

-An awesome splashdown finale

-Better forces in the the turns (the helix after the trim hill specifically)

I haven't ridden Diamondback but I think Millennium Force is better.

Uhm....ok.....

I don't exactly understand why we're saying ones better than the other. We're coaster enthusiasts, we should love 'em all. :lol:

While I would normally agree, the question is which one do you like the best, not which ones do you like and dislike. I do agree, we should like them all.

I assume height means everything for you? No doubt MF has an incredible first drop. Taller and even a little steeper than DB. But I'll take the snake in pretty much every other aspect.

DB has...

-Superior air

-Superior trains/restraints

-An awesome splashdown finale

-Better forces in the the turns (the helix after the trim hill specifically)

I wholeheartedly agree. Diamondback just outdoes Millennium Force in almost every aspect. But, I still love Millennium.

Uhm....ok.....

I just think that Diamondback will ever be able to beat Millennium in my opinion. Millennium doesn't have 5+ airtime hills but it's not meant to. It meant to just be about height, speed, and positive G-forces. Still, as of now I'm only speculating. Who knows? After I ride Diamondback it might be my favorite coaster forever. For now, though, I'm stickin' with Millie.

Uhm....ok.....

I just think that Diamondback will ever be able to beat Millennium in my opinion. Millennium doesn't have 5+ airtime hills but it's not meant to. It meant to just be about height, speed, and positive G-forces. Still, as of now I'm only speculating. Who knows? After I ride Diamondback it might be my favorite coaster forever. For now, though, I'm stickin' with Millie.

It's all about opinions. Certain People like different elements better than others. Nobody is right.

However I wholeheartedly agree with you. It is unfathomable to me how someone could like Diamondback better than Millennium Force, all factors considered.

Kings Island is my home park, so I've ridden DB quite a few times. I just got back from Cedar Point a couple hours ago so my memory is fresh. Millennium Force is far, far, far superior in my book. After this visit to Cedar Point I still like MF, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, Magnum, and Raptor all better than DB.

I think the only factor that DB edges MF in is Airtime.

Speed = MF (not even close)

Height/Drop = MF (not even close)

Intensity = MF (airtime elements of DB are not 'intense')

Theme = MF (this is closer, as neither is themed great. but MF definitely gives me much more of a futuristic/space/the unknown vibe than DB gives me a snake/western/desert feel. Especially at night.)

Appearance= MF (DB just looks like another coaster at Kings Island. MF has this aura about it. Even though it is not the tallest at Cedar Point, It isn't really dwarfed by anything.)

Trains/comfort = MF (This is close. I don't care for DB's seating style as I don't think it added anything to my ride experience, but the seats are very comfortable.......However MF's are the most comfortable seats I have ever been in. Also, I along with some of my friends have been hit by falling objects on DB (change, a sharpie, and my friend took a cell phone to the head) Not a big deal, but nothing like that has ever happened on MF.

Smoothness = Even. (Db is ultra-smooth. but so is MF)

The splashdown feature on DB is nice-looking, but does nothing on the ride unless you're in the very back seat. This is actually my least favorite feature of DB.

And whoever said the turns on DB are more forceful than on MF is absolutely insane.

What it comes down to is MF =Huge Drop, Relentless Speed. DB = lots of Floater Airtime. Pick Your Poison

IMO... Airtime can be a neat addition to a ride with already great Speed/Height/Intensity....... but a ride like DB that is built mainly for airtime is boring when compared to World Class Coasters