Magnum vs. Diamondback vs. Millennium Force

KI Kevin

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamondback all the way.

Magnum gets DQed for being too painful to enjoy what is a rather awesome coaster location and fun track layout. Ther jerky nature of the ride in those awful, lousy trains just leaves me riding too defensively and walking off with too much of a limp for me to to even put Magnum in the same class as MF and DB.

As for MF... amazing first drop. Awesome view, awesome height, awesome speed. Unfortunately, there's not much else too it. The first drop is nothing short of incredible, and the final bunny hop gives a bit of air into the really cool overbank right around and above the queue, but between those fantastic first and last elements is a lot of nothing special.

Don't get me wrong, the speed is fantastic. And to rocket around the majority of the course at 80+mph is fun... but its not all that special. I can hop on the interstate and do 80mph with the top down and get the same sort of effect.

Which is why DB ranks so highly for me. I love the air-time. And, while I understand the fact that not every coaster is built for air-time, it is probably my favorite element on a coaster... and something Diamondback offers in abundance compared to the minimal air on MF.

I think the far superior B&M mega coaster trains really help add to the experinece. While I appreciated the lack of sides to the MF trains, you're still rather crammed into the trains, with someone immediately beside you and in front/behind you. Plus the seatbelt/lap bar combo reduces what little air is present and doesn't leave that vulnerable feeling that you get on DB, which just further enhances the rush.

The only down side to DB is the MCBR, which shaves off a little too much speed and reduces what could be an awesome final helix into just a prelude to the splashdown. Still, even with the one trim break and the MCBR, DB offers far stronger negative G's then MF.

And for its amazing open trains, its incredible first drop, its abundance of varied types of air-time, and its cool splashdown finale... DB takes top prize for me.

I haven't got down to Kings Island this year yet, but if Diamondback is the same as Behemoth, then I would say Millie, Diamondback, Magnum. Millienium is just amazing and I don't know how anyone could possibly say it is boring, and I get great airtime on Millie, maybe you guys just have your restraint to tight? On Magnum, the airtime is great, but it's just so painful now you barely ever get an enjoyable ride on it. That's just my thoughts so..

1. Millie

2. Diamondback(if its like Behemoth)

3. Magnum

Magnum, Millennium, then Diamondback. Don't get me wrong all three are great rides but this year Magnum really reached out and grabbed me as a coaster lover. Millennium is great, definitely a top 3 coaster and Diamondback is another great addition to KI. (Read my Sig and my avatar)

To me, magnum isnt even in the same catogory as Diamondback and Millenium Force. Don't get me wrong, but I just feel that maybe a better choice for the comparison would be Maverick, or Top Thrill. But anywho, my choices would be:

1)Millenium

2)Diamonback

3)Magnum

I had to vote for Millie but in reality I feel that they are so different as to not be a fair comparison.

I would put DB as the best B&M hyper that I have ridden. It is slightly better the Behemoth and not really comprable to Griffon. We will be riding at least 2 hopefully 3 more of the B&M hypers this year.

I had to vote for Millie but in reality I feel that they are so different as to not be a fair comparison.

I would put DB as the best B&M hyper that I have ridden. It is slightly better the Behemoth and not really comprable to Griffon. We will be riding at least 2 hopefully 3 more of the B&M hypers this year.

How do DB and Behemoth compare to Apollo's Chariot?

DB > Magnum >> MF

I rode MF four weeks ago and was quite disappointed. I thought the ride was rather tame. I still like the first drop, but the rest of the ride was not as good as I remembered. Maybe, DB air time spoiled me. MF was my third favorite steel coaster before this year. (DB and Bizzaro rank ahead for me.) Magnum was quite good as always. Magnum was my favorite coaster from 1989 to 2006. Magnum is my favorite at CP.

I have been on Magnum over 1000 times, over 500 on MF and over 200 DB. I have been on every row of seats on all these coasters. I prefer 6-2 on Magnum and the last row on both MF and DB.

See my signature for the steel coaster ranking. I guess I like B&M coasters.

See my signature for the steel coaster ranking. I guess I like B&M coasters.

And there isn't a thing wrong with that! Of the 7 B&M coasters I have ridden, 6 of them are in my top 10 Steel.

Ain't nothing wrong with that at all. Of the 3 B&M coasters I've ridden, I absolutely LOVE 2 of them.

There's also nothing wrong with having a variety of manufacturers in your favorites. I haven't yet figured out my top 10 steel coasters yet, but I know for a fact that there will be at least 2 INTAMINs, 2 B&Ms, a Vekoma, an Arrow, and yes even a TOGO will make it in that list (See my KIC profile and you'll understand the reasoning behind this.).

All of us are different and have different top 10 lists. It's what makes us enthusiasts unique. ;)

I say my rating: Diamondback-Maggie-Millie still. Why?

Diamondback- Height- Pretty tall. Anything over 200 is tall, opposed to mentioned friend's theory: "Diamondback is not tall. It's not even 300 feet". That's sad, considering he's only ridden 2 coasters taller than Diamondback. Feels 230.

Drop- Awesome. Pretty steep, at 74 degrees. A nice little divet to make things steeper.

Speed- Pretty fast. 80 is some pretty good speed.

Airtime- Freakin awesome! Most airtime af all of the (measly) 36 coasters I've ridden.

Smoothness- VERY smooth. Smoothest coaster I've ridden.

Other elements- Inversions: None, Hammerhead: Neat, Helixes: Good, Open-air seating: Freakin sweet. Camelbacks: Awesome.

Reridability- Amazing: The only coaster besides the 3 I like more that I could ride 14 times in a row.

Overall- Awesome. One of the best coasters I've ridden. Only bested IMO by Beast, Maverick, and Top Thrill respectively.

Maggie- Height- Look at my Diamondback height post. Feels 205.

Drop- Eh. Not very steep, at 60 degrees.

Speed- Pretty fast. Not as good as DB but still has some nice speed.

Airtime- Great. Also not as good DB, but still pretty good. If only they had better restraints.

Smoothness- Okay. Jerky for a steel coaster but I've ridden far jerkier coasters...cough....Mean Streak...cough.

Drinka...Reridability- Good. AGAIN, not as good as DB.

Other elements- Tunnels: Cool, Turnaround that looks like a flat batwing: Good, Bunny hops: Cool, sometimes painful. Inversions: none.

Overall- Pretty good. I think the best way to describe it is a "not as good version of DB". But still good. Those trains do look pretty weird though. After all, it was made in the 80's...

Millie- Height- Really Tall. The only coaster I've ridden that's taller is Dragster. Although, It really doesn't feel 315 up, but that's just me.

Drop- Awesome. Dropping from 315 will always be awesome, unless of course you're not harnessed in.

Speed- Really fast. Again, the only faster coaster I've ridden is Dragster. Keeps it's speed consistently, too.

Airtime- Probably the most EPIC FAIL I've ever seen. I think I've gotten more airtime on Adventure Express. And for a coaster that big, It's gotta have airtime. If it did, It would probably be my favorite overall coaster. Maybe.

Smoothness- Good. Can be shaky after that first drop, but for the most part pretty good.

Reridability- Eh. 1st and 2nd rides: awesome. 3rd and 4th rides: good. 5th and 6th rides: Okay. Loses it's umph after 2 rides in a year IMO. Kinda sad.

Other Elements: Airtime hills: Epic Fail, Overbanked Turns: Cool, Tunnels: Cool.

Overall: Good. I think that the only really great parts of the ride are the drop and 1st overbank. Other than that it's just a joyride. I think I could fall asleep.

Normally I cannot and will not compare coasters...but in Apollo's Chariot's case, I make an exception. To me it is a giant simulator with fans. Nothing more. The most excitement I ever had near it was the morning Fabio rode. That was more excitement than anyone bargained for, especially the goose!

And by the way, what do you mean by this "giant simulator with fans"?

MF and Diamondback are 1a and 1b for me...which one I like more really depends on the day I'm riding. Magnum is in a very distant 3rd. If I want sheer speed then I'll take MF. If I want the airtime I'll take DB. Magnum has more air than DB but I don't feel like having to use "techniques" to make it tolerable.

Also, regarding the air on MF, I've only gotten the air on those two big airtime hills in the first four rows (and yes, this includes the very back). However, if you catch those hills on the right day, and in the aforementioned seats, they do provide a nice pop. This is also why I will usually opt for row two over the back, even though the back is MUCH more fun on the first drop (the same thing applies to Maverick).

Diamondback, then Millennium, then Magnum.

Magnum SHOULD be better than Millie....but the restraints set it back.

Millennium is a great ride, and does what it was built to do very well. Maintain speed, and hold records.

Diamondback is a great, new age B&M full of airtime. If you like airtime...go for Diamondback. In my opinion, Diamondback's first drop is the best on any coaster. It's sudden, long, steep, and full of airtime. Millennium's is too drawn out....I just don't get the stomach in my throat feeling like I do on Diamondback. The other two airtime hills are fun..but Diamondback's airtime is so much stronger. Millennium's is hardly floater. But that's not what it was built for! I hate how people bash it to death because of this.

Millennium Force isn't about airtime! Did you hear that?!

Magnum's is so strong it hurts! If it had Intamin or B&M trains...it'd be a FANTASTIC ride. I can only wish.

It's hard to call, because Diamondback is my home ride; Cedar Point's rides have the "special vacation feel" to them.

How do you ride Magnum without getting bruised thighs from the lap bars? I've tried putting my hands between my legs and the bar, that didnt work. I've tried making sure i have lots of room between the bar and my legs and im not stapled in, that has not worked either. It's very painful riding Maverick the next morning during ERT with bruised thighs from Magnums lap bars.

And by the way, what do you mean by this "giant simulator with fans"?

I mean the ride, to me, seems so utterly forceless, it seems as if I am sitting in a giant ride simulator, and the rushing air going past me must be produced by mechanical fans.

Quite frankly, I'd rather be pushed around in a Kroger shopping cart than ride Apollo. That's just me! :)