How to keep cool at KI

TTD-120-420

I'm going with my girlfriend to KI tomorrow and then leaving to go to the Reds game.

It is supposed to reach 86 degrees tomorrow. Not hot for most of you, but to me its like standing in the middle of hell. I am just wondering what buildings have the coolest air conditioning, what rides have the most shade in line, and have misting fans (that work).

Cedar Point offers free cups of ice water. Does Kings Island do the same thing?

I'm not anywhere close to a fan of water rides, but I'm actually considering it for tomorrow. Now I don't want to be drenched for the rest of the day, but does the Wild Thorn. ride get you soaked? Looking at it, it doesnt seem like it would get you that wet, but enough to walk around and for my damp clothes to keep me cool for a while???

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Zach, who sweats like a pig... If pigs actually sweat.

FOF does have A/C, as does Scooby. You can also cool off in the Festhaus if you're hungry and/or want to watch the show, or in any of the shops throughout the park. Wild Thornberrys itself didn't get you that wet, but the elephant used to when he sprayed a jet of water at the end. I've noticed this year that the elephant seems to spray more of a shower of water so you dont get as wet.

I sweat a lot too, so I know what you go through! The lines with the most shade are Crypt, FoF and Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle. B) Sorry, I just had too... The most shaded outdoor queue is Whitewater Canyon, but the ride gets you soaked. Wild Thornberries doesn't get you too wet, and The Racer and Beast lines are pretty good for shade.

As far as AC, take in a showing of Endless Summer on Ice in the Kings Island Theater, or one of the shows in Festhaus. You can also duck into one of the shops for a quick hit of AC. And yes, you can get free cups of water at the food stands. Have fun and stay cool!

Remember to wear lots and lots of sunscreen. Bring a hat to keep the sun off your face. You'd be amazed how much leaving your skin unprotected will overheat you. Consider bringing a swimsuit so you can hit the waterpark. An hour or two over there will cool you down for a long time, much more effectively than a water ride will!

Water. Do not enter a long queue without it. You will regret it.

Sunscreen. Take some in the park with you. Reapply when you feel hot, even if you are not burning. You will be amazed at how it cools you down.

If you still feel light headed or somewhat sick, get some food and Gatorade or Powerade.

The last time I was at KI, I ate, reapplied sunscreen, and drank several cups of the free ice water. I still felt faint and had no energy. Tom was considerate (as always), he got some Gatorade and shared it with me.. I felt a lot better afterward.

Hydration is key here. Drink water or electrolyte-enhanced sports drinks, even when you are not thirsty. Stay away from caffeinated drinks or alcohol, you will get dehydrated quickly and start to feel sick.

Since you get over headed really quick, Drink a lot of water. Keep the ice and put it in your mouth or put it in your hands and rub it on your head and arms and such. Don't forget sun screen. Try and stay in the shadows as much as possible.

Wear a sleeveless tshirt and white basketball shorts and you should be fine. Also carry around a water bottle so you can drink it when in line.

86 is nothing really, I was driving through 106 degrees on the way back from Texas a few weeks ago. Now temps in the 80s feel almost cold to me.

I'm going with my girlfriend to KI tomorrow and then leaving to go to the Reds game.

It is supposed to reach 86 degrees tomorrow. Not hot for most of you, but to me its like standing in the middle of hell. I am just wondering what buildings have the coolest air conditioning, what rides have the most shade in line, and have misting fans (that work).

Cedar Point offers free cups of ice water. Does Kings Island do the same thing?

I'm not anywhere close to a fan of water rides, but I'm actually considering it for tomorrow. Now I don't want to be drenched for the rest of the day, but does the Wild Thorn. ride get you soaked? Looking at it, it doesnt seem like it would get you that wet, but enough to walk around and for my damp clothes to keep me cool for a while???

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Zach, who sweats like a pig... If pigs actually sweat.

Flight of Fear, the crypt, SDatHC, and SpongeBob have air conditioned queue lines. But, lately I have noticed FOF's line has been on the upper outside part of the line, so you may not be inside the entire time, but at leastg the outside part is covered. Diamondback's line is covered for the most part, and it has a lot of cooling fans. The Beast, Adventure Express, Flight Deck, and Invertigo all have lines that are shady and/or covered for the most part.

Yes, Kings Island offers free cups of water. If you have the souvenir cup, they will fill it up with water for free.

I rode Congo Falls a couple times on my last visit to KI. It doesn't get you totally drenched, but I did get fairly wet. Also, I didn't stay really wet for more than about a half hour, and I was damp for a couple hours.

Take sunscreen and apply it every couple hours. Wear a hat if you want, but I usually don't. Wear a pair of sunglasses if you have some, because it can be very bright and sunny, and I think that's what's in the forcast for tomorrow. Wear a sleveless shirt that is light colored and thin cotton with a pair of thin basketball or cotton shorts to stay the coolest. If you eat at KI, eat in Festhaus (or take your food to there if it's convenitent because you can watch a show, get out of the sun, cool off, and eat all in one place!

Lastly, have a LOT of fun tomorrow!!! :) :)

BTW I'm going to the Reds game tomorrow, too! :)

Where is this "Festhaus" of which you speak of? I don't know the park very well, having only been there once in the past ten years, and that was a couple months ago.

I'm thinking of starting off with Firehawk. We'll be there first thing in the morning so we'll hit that before lines get long, and then just hit FoF for some air. We are not much into shows, but if I'm desperate I'll try them.

I'm going to wear some white Texas shorts (see avatar) with my white high school football t-shirt. (I don't even play football go figure)

I'm very glad to hear DB has misters. :) My girlfriend really wants to try the 3D spongebob thing which I love so maybe I'll hit that up a few times. Do all/most of the rides have storage bins? If so I'm gonna bring a drawstring bag with water and gatorade.

Thanks to all of you! :)

If it was my choice I would be at CP. I'm going with my girlfriend and her parents, and they wanted to go to Cincy for a Reds game and we somehow talked them into dropping us off at KI. I'm just tagging along. Next year I will be at all of the ERT nights since mom will let me drive to CP next year. This year is my first year with a drivers license so she doesn't trust me yet. Next year, next year :)

It's called a water fan.

The mist fans in the queue do ease discomfort momentarily when you're hot, but they do not help with dehydration.

When dehydration goes hand in hand with heat exhaustion, it can be very dangerous and even send a person to the first aid station or even the hospital with heat stroke if symptoms do not improve.

Where is this "Festhaus" of which you speak of? I don't know the park very well, having only been there once in the past ten years, and that was a couple months ago.

I'm thinking of starting off with Firehawk. We'll be there first thing in the morning so we'll hit that before lines get long, and then just hit FoF for some air. We are not much into shows, but if I'm desperate I'll try them.

I'm going to wear some white Texas shorts (see avatar) with my white high school football t-shirt. (I don't even play football go figure)

I'm very glad to hear DB has misters. :) My girlfriend really wants to try the 3D spongebob thing which I love so maybe I'll hit that up a few times. Do all/most of the rides have storage bins? If so I'm gonna bring a drawstring bag with water and gatorade.

The only ride that doesn't have bins is Firehawk.

Well let's see first off, Wild Thornberry's is the perfect water ride that doesn't get yo absolutely soaked but just enough to cool you off. Also, Kings Island gives out free cups of water as well, which I strongly suggest you take advantage of because Pepsi and other carbonated beverages will dehydrate you very quickly. Take advantage of the shows in the Festhaus and Kings Island Thatre, the are really enjoyable and cool. Flight of Fear and SDATHC are the main air conditioned queue lines in the park but some others offer shade such as, The Racer, The Beast, Drop Tower, Invertigo, Delirium (For the most part), and WWC considering it is in through the woods; but the ride will leave you drenched, a little bit of FYI. Make sure you also check out the Coca-Cola Mist Zone over by Adventure Express in Oktoberfest.

Do all/most of the rides have storage bins? If so I'm gonna bring a drawstring bag with water and gatorade.

Festhaus is near the front of the park. If you walk down International Street towards the Eiffel Tower, it is to the left (go to the Tower and then turn left onto another walkway). Also, you could go into the park, go left towards Delirium, and then there is and entrance by Delirium.

All rides but Firehawk and FOF have bins to to put things in. But, you're not permitted to take food and/or drinks into KI. Plus, they give you free water.

Heres some adivice form me never wear full black to KI on a hot day trust me I have done it before. And you should buy one of the bottles with a fan on it i love those but when I use mine its never water its usaly fruit punch in it and a worker once asked me if he could use and fruit punch went all over his face it was funny casue he started to laugh.

It is supposed to reach 86 degrees tomorrow. Not hot for most of you, but to me its like standing in the middle of hell.

How can you be a Texas fan when you can't take the heat? :P

Zorba, who is enjoying the "cold" front that came through last night and the cool 95 degrees it left behind.

Well let's see first off, Wild Thornberry's is the perfect water ride that doesn't get yo absolutely soaked but just enough to cool you off. Also, Kings Island gives out free cups of water as well, which I strongly suggest you take advantage of because Pepsi and other carbonated beverages will dehydrate you very quickly. Take advantage of the shows in the Festhaus and Kings Island Thatre, the are really enjoyable and cool. Flight of Fear and SDATHC are the main air conditioned queue lines in the park but some others offer shade such as, The Racer, The Beast, Drop Tower, Invertigo, Delirium (For the most part), and WWC considering it is in through the woods; but the ride will leave you drenched, a little bit of FYI. Make sure you also check out the Coca-Cola Mist Zone over by Adventure Express in Oktoberfest.

What is this "Pepsi" that you speak of, and where can I find it in the park?

Gator, who just HAD to... ;)

I don't think BLSC has bins, either. Not sure about that one.

Actually, BLSC does have some bins to put things in. I think there are round and nor wood or solid metal. I think they're painted black. If they don't you could just hold your bag on the ride. Or give it to a ride op and they'll put it in the appropriate place.

I don't think BLSC has bins, either. Not sure about that one.

Actually, BLSC does have some bins to put things in. I think there are round and nor wood or solid metal. I think they're painted black. If they don't you could just hold your bag on the ride. Or give it to a ride op and they'll put it in the appropriate place.

The ride ops only will take suviner cups casue they wont tkae anything else.