That First Ride...on The Beast!

McSalsa

The Beast at Kings Island is one of the most famous coasters in the world, second to only The Coney Island Cyclone in that category. It broke nearly every record you could name when it opened in 1979, and still stands today as the longest wooden roller coaster on the planet and the longest in the United States. It's arrival caused a re-theming of Scooby Doo into Beastie(later rethemed again into Fairly Odd Coaster)and even a "sequel", Son of Beast. It easily won my "Greatest Coaster to Ever Grace KI" poll, whooping even Diamondback by over 20 votes.

Here is where you come in: many remember their first ride on The Beast. Was yours noteworthy? Here's mine: I did mention this in my TR, and it was fairly recent, but it wasn't super detailed...here we go, McSalsa's first ride...May 16th, 2009...

We had 2 rides under our belt(Eiffel Tower & Crypt)and it had just stopped raining, so Beast had just re-opened and we headed for it. I was letdown by Crypt and was hoping Beast would be better. We got in line, and I was a bit shocked at how long it was(though not much as I had just got off Crypt!). I accidently hit my sister with one of the bars in the line (she will be missed). Just kidding! :lol: It did give her a bruise, but it was OK. We got to the station, and one sign caught my eye as I wear glasses: "The Beast could take your glasses!". This got me a bit worried, but I saw the storage bin and decided I would leave my glasses there (I can still see OK without them). The spiels were entertaining, they were declaring The Beast the best coaster in the park in spite of Diamondback(later I found out it was actually true, no slam to DB). I had never rode a roller coaster that had a 140-foot drop before and was, of course, a little worried and hesitant. But when we got up there, I got on with my mom. I was also a tad worried about her, she's quite skinny and somewhat frail, but she had rode this ride before. We got on, and down went the lapbars.

Around the corner we went. Thump, Thump, Thump. This worried me: oh no, this is gonna be rough! We went up the lift hill, and while it was loud I had been expecting louder. I looked at my mom and said "Hey Look, we are higher than the trees! :lol: " to calm myself. Then we reached the top and saw the infamous sight of what is ahead. I knew then..."No Turning Back!"

Beast-KingsIsland.gif\

(This is what I mean by "Infamous Sight")

Drop.

The train hurtled into the dark tunnel, reaching speeds of over 65mph. I didn't even notice the trim brake on the drop. We flew into the tunnel and we were racing through the woods at high speed. I was loving every second of it, to my shock, as 9 years earlier Racer had scared me to death. We hit the brake shed and I caught my breath, and then we hit the second lift hill. I was loving it and realized to check on my mom, she was fine. I asked a friend who was on the ride and had rode all the big stuff at Six Flags Over Georgia what he thought of Beast, he said "It's The Best Coaster I Have Ever Ridden." Then my sister got me uncomfortable again:

"The worst is yet to come!"

The train reached over the second lift hill, and the park was in clear sight. Eiffel Tower, Vortex, Diamondback, Racer, and Drop Tower are obvious from this point. Vortex was so loud, we could hear it from here. Then we had no more time to enjoy the view as the train began to pick up speed...more speed...more speed...TUNNEL!

I ducked. :wacko: The "tunnel" really does work. The ride ended with a few airtime hills, and then we were back in the station. When I boarded the train for Beast, I was scared of big coasters. When I left...well, let's just recall my comment:

"Hey (Friend), let's go ride Vortex now!" Diamondback and Flight of Fear would later both surpass Beast, but of course, we took a night ride and Beast reclaimed the "lead" as my favorite later on and was the most memorable ride I rode at Kings Island that day. Sorry again, Diamondback, you are awesome but I liked Beast(Night) better.

Enough said. Thanks for reading this, and if you want to describe your first ride (or a bizzare,eventful ride you had) on The Beast, please do post it. Thanks again.

My first ride on The Beast was when I was seven. I was terrified my first time because my dad got front seat and that first drop scared me so much but I loved it. The whole ride was amazing and my favorite part of the ride was the ending helix I eventually put my hands up but I was still scared to ride something with a loop until I was 13 and that was Firehawk. Firehawk made me in love with coasters.

My first ride on The Beast was when I was seven. I was terrified my first time because my dad got front seat and that first drop scared me so much but I loved it. The whole ride was amazing and my favorite part of the ride was the ending helix I eventually put my hands up but I was still scared to ride something with a loop until I was 13 and that was Firehawk. Firehawk made me in love with coasters.

First, I want to apologize for reposting someone else's reply to this thread.

My first ride on The Beast was in 1990 and I was 8 yrs old. It instantly became my #1 coaster and has stayed there ever since. Even as I rode taller and faster coasters The Beast remained at the top spot because I feel it has the total package when it comes to roller coasters. The seclusion, and sheer distance covered, and incredible night rides are what makes The Beast #1 for me.

It was sometime early in the season last year.My friend invited me to Kings Island. I had been there when I was 5, but I don't really remember it. I had never ridden a roller coaster before. First, we went on Adventure Express and was really scared on that, then we hit The Racers, which we did 3 times in a row but I still hated it (I love em now) Then after going on WWC like 10 times, her dad asked us if we wanted to do The Beast. My friend said no but I aid sure, not knowing what it was. Once we got to the line and I saw the first drip I wanted to turn back, but my friends dad kind of forced us, claiming that it want bumpy at all but real quiet and smooth. Then we got on it. My friend and I were freaked out of our minds. Then when we saw there was a second hull my friend and I started having a panic attack, screaming and crying, lol. Then we went into the helix, crying with every bump. We both swore never to go on it again. Ever. After the ride I turned to my friends dad and screamed to him he was a lier. Of course on other trips, I was forced on The Beast. I love it now, I'm obsessesed, and I widg I could go back, I'm in love. I literally spend most of my time on computer watching The Beast povs over and over again wishing I was on it.

My first ride on Beast was opeing day of this year. yea I know im 13 and have been afraid of coaster until Diamondback. I remember the expreshion on my freinds face ccasue it was his first ride to plus his first coaster ever. It was funny if only I brought my camra on the ride with me like I did last week to take some pisc from the top and a pov. hehehe

My first time on The Beast and any rollercoaster for that matter was in 1990 with a girl I liked in high school. It was the summer before we went into our junior year. So to get to know her better I offered to take her to PKI but unknownst to me at the time her parents 'elected' to drive us to PKI themselves and then stayed with us during the whole day at the park. They would drop us off at each ride and then waited for us at the exits. So, to be alone with my date, I decided to ride The Beast when my girlfriend insisted she just 'had' to ride it(hint)(hint). I admit I was afraid of riding it but to be able to ditch her parents for just a few moments was priceless. It was the most exhilarating time of my life...and my girlfriend wasn't that bad eithericon6.gif!!!

My first ride on The Beast was in 1996 when I was 11, also immediately after conquering Flight of Fear. Flight of Fear did not scare me as much as that first drop on The Beast did. Cresting over that hill and seeing that we were about to fall into that small dark hole was terrifying. I'm white as a ghost in my ORP from that ride.

I got off it all smiles and have loved that mass of wood ever since.

1979- i don't remember every detail ( old age setting in ). i recall waiting in a mile long line with signs along the way with the wait time. i distinctly remember the 2 hr sign. the sight of the tunnel at the bottom of the first drop was ominous. those high speed helixes at the end always stuck with me. after 1981, i did not return to KI until 2003.

I dont remember my first my last time on it was during ERT on thursday and I was the only person on the entire train. It was cool

I was the only person on the train once I was in the very front seat and it was so peacful not having no little girls scremaing behind me. When I got back to the station the ride-op was like welcome back Beast rider how was that ride!?!?!?!?! then I said great!!! then I rode it again without getting up in the front seat but there was someone in the back seat.

The ride ended with a few airtime hills

It did? Are you sure you rode the right coaster? lol

I first rode The Beast when I was 6 years old. It was the summer I finally reached the 48" mark, and I had my parents take me to many different parks that season. We waited around 20 minutes for a ride near the back of the train. I had heard so many great things about The Beast, so I was very excited when we reached the top of the lift and saw that beautiful view. I raised my hands and prepared for that 'butterfly feeling' as we crested the hill...but then we slowed down. I remember sliding forward into my lap bar; it felt like somebody punched my in the stomach/chest (I was really skinny). The tunnel at the bottom was cool, and then we headed for the second drop (which looked AWESOME on America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills)...we slowed down, and I felt that stomach-punched feeling again. The turn after that was really rough, and then we hit the brake shed. I got tired of being beat up pretty quick.

Our train stopped at the top of the second lift, but I can't really remember why. I guess the train before ours had not cleared the next block. The trained started again shortly, and we were soon heading down that long drop into the tunnel. Of course, there were brakes (surprise!). After those skid brakes, the drop was pretty fun, and it wasn't very rough at that time, but then came the worst part of it all. As we entered the helix finale, my head was thrown against the side of the car; it hurt terribly. I was really dizzy for the next half hour or so, and I had a giant knot right above my temple. I had never hated I roller coaster...until I rode The Beast.

I didn't ride it again for 4 years after that horrible first impression. I didn't like it the second time either. In fact, I have hated every ride I've ever had on The Beast up until this April. For the first time, I rode it at night, and I finally understood why everyone thinks so highly of it. This particular ride was quite amazing...the brakes didn't seem anywhere near as harsh as it did during the daytime, it didn't seem as rough, and the speed and setting were just amazing. I now make sure to ride The Beast in the dark on every one of my visits to Kings Island. It really is a fun and thrilling ride at night...but I still think it sucks at all other times.

Ah, I believe it was 1991, age 10. My first foray into the BIG PEOPLE'S coasters. Yesh, I had been on The Racer and the new Adventure Exrpess, but those were seen as "family rides." The long line and the hype from the park guide "Biggest and Baddest." The Beast was, and I think still is, one of the most unusual and intense layouts for a coaster.