Changes to Dueling Dragons?

Screamscape.com is reporting some changes that will be soon coming in the legendary Islands of Adventure coaster Dueling Dragons. As we all know, the park is constructing a new "island" which will be the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (WWHP). This island is going to create some changes not only to the area of the park where the actual island will be located, but also changes to the rest of the park. The most obvious and brutal is the island of the Lost Continent (tied for my favorite along with MSHI). Much of what made the Lost Continent so special has been either completely removed or is changing. The Enchanted Oak Tavern, which was one of the most recognizable structures in the park, has been removed. Now we are hearing (and have feared) that Dueling Dragons will cease to exist. Oh, the ride will still be operating, but as we at RexandtheBeast.com have tried to get across, a ride is much, much more than just the ride. Changes to Dueling Dragons will include the name of the ride changing, saying goodbye to the classic Fire (Pyrrock) and Ice (Blizzrock) dragons, and painting the structure to encompass a darker theme. Additionally, apparently one of the major attractions in the WWHP is the Hogwarts Castle which might incorporate the MagiQuest technology and use magic wands. However, these wands might work across the park as a whole, so you can be in Toon Lagoon and be using your Harry Potter wand to check stuff out.

Source: http://www.rexandthebeast.com/harry_potter_changes

I really don't like this. I've been on both sides of Dueling Dragons and I think they were fine just the way they were. I've been looking forward to the Harry Potter themed area since it was announced years ago, but I don't see the necessity to change any other area in the park to accomodate it.

Opinions?

its still going to be the same ride, its not like they are changing the elements on the coasters or anything.... sure i will miss pyro and ice, however i can olny imagine what kind of theming universal has up their sleeves for the new incarnation of the ride. i despise all things harry potter, however i am really looking forward to experiencing the new aspects of the coaster!

Guest TombraiderTy

I'm for it, it'll better fit into the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter. People just don't like change when they don't see positive(s) that out-weigh the negatives. Example- Cedar Fair's renamings, the Backwards Racer's flip, Son of Beast's loop removal, ect. Lost Continent was my favorite section at Islands of Adventure, the detail was fantastic, as was Dueling Dragons, Mythos, and a few other things. However, I am really excited for the new Harry Potter section and the details and rides it'll contain- once again, I don't care if they retheme Dueling Dragons. The queue line was amazing, but the changes will make the coasters better fit into the new land.

Guest TombraiderTy

^What would a world be without changes? I get frustrated when people aren't willing to accept change into anything they like- instead of accepting the possibility of a better ride or area, they're too stubborn and afraid it may ruin what's already present. Personally, I'd support most changes on Diamondback, or the coasters at Kings Island (including The Beast), or even my favorite coaster- The Voyage. If change never happened, nothing would ever get better, but instead things would start to become old and dull.

^What would a world be without changes? I get frustrated when people aren't willing to accept change into anything they like- instead of accepting the possibility of a better ride or area, they're too stubborn and afraid it may ruin what's already present. Personally, I'd support most changes on Diamondback, or the coasters at Kings Island (including The Beast), or even my favorite coaster- The Voyage. If change never happened, nothing would ever get better, but instead things would start to become old and dull.

I'm not against change at all. I actually like change. But, that island is so perfect already, there is no need to change in my opinion. I like the idea of adding another island, but why do they have to take the lost continent with it?

Hmm, as I see it the park is a business. With most businesses, the goal is to make money. Harry Potter is a very popular book/movie series. Retheming the ride could bring more people to the park who would be willing to spend more money (Though I do believe the park does pretty good as it is).

I intend on running my own business someday and making lots of money with it, that's just who I am. So, I don't blame them for this if it is their decision to change the ride.

Well, that and I enjoy HP.

Guest TombraiderTy

^^Even if you don't care for the books or movies, this area will be no-doubt be amazing. They're spending $200-million-plus on it, and the concept art already looks fantastic. The area will appeal to more than just fans of Harry Potter.

The only thing that is going to change about Dueling Dragons is the queue and perhaps the colors of the dragons. There is a plot point in the fourth book where the Harry and 3 other students battle a dragon as part of a Wizard Competition. Each battles a different species, Chinese Fireball, Welsh Green, Sweedish Shortsnout, and a Hungarian Horntail. Odds are high that you will have to choose your fate between a Chinese Fireball (easy changeover of Fire) and a Hungarian Horntail (Harry's dragon, the former Ice.)

Universal is above all a movie park and they do it well. Why some of you do not understand them wanting to cash in on the most profitable franchise in movie history (it will surpass 007 in ticket sales in a matter of weeks) is beyond me.

^But if they only cared about thrills then a theme change would not bother them. Not to mention, you wouldnt find them at Universal, it just has 3 B&M coasters and one kiddie coaster at one park and a "kiddie" Premier, a kiddie coaster, and a busted down coaster at the other. Those thrill seekers would be just north of Atlanta, of if that was too far in Tampa (where they would deal with the themeing for 3 B&Ms, a Swartzy, 2 GCIs and a Mouse.)

The only thing that is going to change about Dueling Dragons is the queue and perhaps the colors of the dragons. There is a plot point in the fourth book where the Harry and 3 other students battle a dragon as part of a Wizard Competition. Each battles a different species, Chinese Fireball, Welsh Green, Sweedish Shortsnout, and a Hungarian Horntail. Odds are high that you will have to choose your fate between a Chinese Fireball (easy changeover of Fire) and a Hungarian Horntail (Harry's dragon, the former Ice.)

Universal is above all a movie park and they do it well. Why some of you do not understand them wanting to cash in on the most profitable franchise in movie history (it will surpass 007 in ticket sales in a matter of weeks) is beyond me.

Um its a Welsh Greenback....but thats ok...

Besides Im sure they will do it in best taste, I mean really You wouldn't have to change the dang castle or anything...just the ride itself. Im quite pleased to hear about this Harry Potter themed area!

Guest TombraiderTy

^Rumor has it the castle will actually be removed and replaced with a large tent, similar to the one in the fourth Harry Potter book where Harry and the other champions waited before facing the dragons. However, the ride experience itself probably won't be very different at all.

Ah, a tent. Well wth why not! Sounds fun! lol I love Harry Potter, and I think with what Universal has done in the past we can expect great things, and are already seeing them with the photos of just construction! I might just make my own one way ticket down there just to see this new land, seeing how I've only gone once with my father.