Vortex needs new trains

Coaster-King

wink.gif I went to pki last Friday. Everything was cool espeacilly Delium. Great Fun. Every ride was open and working well. Until I rode The Vortex. I was in so much pain. It just messed me up all day after I got off of it. I was limping and I got a heacke. I was in pain. I wish that they would get new trains and cushsion. I will never ride it again. sad.gif Edited by Coaster-King

New trains wouldnt do jack. Vortex was before the age of the computer transitions on arrows arent known to be the smoothest in the world you must learn how to ride it. Ron toomer never road his rides he built them for enjoyment of other people so he never knew how bad some of em actually are. Vortex is one of the better arrow loopers.

I was on Vortex twice today, one bad ride one good. The bad ride was only b/c I was stupid and sat in the wrong seat, the seat without the leg room. The next time I road I was in the right seat, had tons of leg room and had a great ride with lots of air time! I didn't get beaten up on it or anything. Great ride.

The absolute worst seat is the first seat, second car. For some reason is just beats the crap out of you. Still, what I don't understand is why all Arrow's, be they loopers or not, get rougher over time. Is it just poor maintenence or just poor design. Don't get me wrong, I love Vortex, but just like sobrider said, "you have to learn to ride it." Just pick the right seat for the ride your comfortable with! blink.gif

The thing about Vortex that makes no sense to me is the transition behind Rvt Pizza. I was looking at this last night. It's making the left turn to go down to the loops, and it is banked, then flattens out quickly, which causes a great deal of pain, and then it quickly jumps back to its banking. Poor design, I believe.

I think the one of the biggest reasons arrow and Vekoma as compared to others are more rough because they have inside running wheels instead of outside ones like you would find on intamins and B&Ms. The wheels being this way allows for more shifting back and forth, making it more rough.

Headbanging* ( See footnote ) is not a product of where the guide-wheels are. As long as the wheels are in constant contact with the track, "hunting" or "searching" will not be a problem. For proof of this, check out the few remaining TOGO rides here in the United States. The guide wheels are on the outside of the track, but that extra dose of morphine is still needed after the ride. laugh.gif

Also, it seems that the height of the rider is a major factor in how much headbanging he/she experiences. It seems that for most people 5' 7" and under think that Arrow coasters are extremely painful. For taller individuals, leg room seems to be the only problem. But there is a bright side to all of this! Arrow has learned from all of their mistakes, and now offers to fix them. Check out this link to learn more:

http://www.arrowdynamics.com/services/upgrades.php

FOOTNOTE: *The term "headbanging" is sometimes used in place of "roughness." In my opinion, "roughness" involves such problems as a bumpy ride, which can be an issue of hunting when wheels aren't in constant contact with the track. "Headbanging" is the result of bad transitions, found on most Arrow, Vekoma, and TOGO roller coasters.*

Headbanging* ( See footnote ) is not a product of where the guide-wheels are. As long as the wheels are in constant contact with the track, "hunting" or "searching" will not be a problem. For proof of this, check out the few remaining TOGO rides here in the United States. The guide wheels are on the outside of the track, but that extra dose of morphine is still needed after the ride. laugh.gif

Also, it seems that the height of the rider is a major factor in how much headbanging he/she experiences. It seems that for most people 5' 7" and under think that Arrow coasters are extremely painful. For taller individuals, leg room seems to be the only problem. But there is a bright side to all of this! Arrow has learned from all of their mistakes, and now offers to fix them. Check out this link to learn more:

http://www.arrowdynamics.com/services/upgrades.php

FOOTNOTE: *The term "headbanging" is sometimes used in place of "roughness." In my opinion, "roughness" involves such problems as a bumpy ride, which can be an issue of hunting when wheels aren't in constant contact with the track. "Headbanging" is the result of bad transitions, found on most Arrow, Vekoma, and TOGO roller coasters.*

Headbanging is when your head bangs upon the OTSR's. Roughness is when the train is very rough and shaky. When I made that comment I was not reffering to headbanging, I was reffering to roughness. The two terms are not interchangeable.

Sorry mike77. I didn't realize that you mean actual roughness and not headbanging. My bad.

It's cool. I however do not think there is a coaster in King's Island that is rough. I think roughness adds to the thrill of the whole ride.

Fors some reason, whenever I began riding rolller coaster with the over the shoulder restraints, I instictively have held my head forward to avoid the "headbanging" and never experienced the problem that others have with that. That was until I rode Flight of Fear (when it still had the OTSR) because of the desing of the harness youcould not hold your head forward. I never have had any problems with The Vortex. It roughness is nothing compared to the wooden coasters in the park, in my opinion.

Cris

I wonder if The Vortex trains could get the same modifications that FoF received? I would certainly make for a "free feeling" ride.

Very Doubtful. The cars aren't right design, and they would have to be replaced altogether. I think that PKi could stand to have arrow come in and replace just a few sections of track to make the ride smoother. Maybe new trains and new sections of track might be a good idea, and also let them upgrade the running system for the ride? I am sure much of this would help, and most likely be cheaper than buying an all new coaster. Or maybe they could do both, add a new coaster, and fix an existing one.

I personally don't think that Vortex needs new trains. I don't think it's horrible 'rough' either. I'm 5'5" and it didn't jar me horribly at all. However, Monday when I went it did cut my ear open. I wasn't even wearing earrings! I turned me head going through the corkscrews or whatever they are so I could say something to my cousin, and my ear hit the shoulder thing and cut it. I was mad. It didn't bleed that much, just a scratch, but I was mad all the same. They need the OTSRs like Face/Off has so that it doesn't kill you when your ears hit it. In other words, they need some padding.

OTSRs like Face/Off has so that it doesn't kill you when your ears hit it. In other words, they need some padding.

Don't think this will work either. Wrong type of train. I don't see what the big deal is. If it is so bad, Then why do people continue to ride it? Personally, i think PKi should bring in arrow dynamics and have them fix a few sections of track, and maybe build some new trains, putting life back into The Vortex. According to arrow's website they can come out and check out a coaster, and evaluate changing sections of track to make the ride better. Maybe PKI will look at this as an option.

• 3 weeks later...

You people can't assume that adding new trains, getting rid of OTSR, or whatever will make it a less turbulent experience. It has been successful in some cases (i.e. FoF) but when it all comes down, you're sitting in a train that's extremely small which will take you up hill, down, hill, upside down, etc. Arrow built it the way that they did to make it as safe as they could design it. Comfort is in a distant second, I'm sure.

Now, should they have Arrow come in and do some structural work on the ride - yes. Just look at it this way, at least it's not SOB, I used my two for Tuesday perk and I thought they were going to have to get me off that ride in a stretcher.

--Ryan