My Thoughts on Cedar Point vs Kings Island

Kevin James

Firstly, here are my rankings for each ride at both parks. Please note that some small coasters are not included.

-----------------------------

Cedar Point

1).Millennium Force

2).Maverick

3).Raptor

4).Mantis

5).Magnum XL

6).Top Thrill Dragster

7).Corkscrew

8).Wicked Twister

9).Gemini

10)Disaster Transport

11)Mean Streak

12)Blue Streak

13)Mine Ride

------------------------------

Kings Island

1).Diamondback

2).Son of Beast

3).Firehawk

4).Vortex

5).The Beast

6).Flight of Fear

7).Flight Deck

8).Invertigo

9).Backlot Stunt Coaster

10)The Racer

11)Adventure Express

----------------------------

My Final Grade =

Cedar Point 10/10

Kings Island 9/10

Kings Island does not have anything to compare to Top Thrill, Maverick, or Magnum.

Millennium Force vs. Diamondback

Diamondback is a slightly lesser version of the Millennium Force, but for me the Diamondback's state of the art seating and water splash, make up the difference.

EVEN

Mantis vs. Firehawk

This is a tough one to call, but Firehawk is unique , in that your laying down the whole time, switching back and forth from facing the ground on bottom of track or facing the air on top of the track.

ADV - Firehawk

---------------------------

Corkscrew vs. Vortex

Corkscrew is one of my favorites and it rides alot smoother than The Vortex, but The Vortex has alot bigger loops and corkscrews.

ADV - Vortex

Raptor vs. Flight Deck

I love both these coasters, but Raptor has alot more to offer.

ADV - RAPTOR

Wicked Twister vs. Invertigo

Invertigo is pretty much a Wicked Twister upgrade. It has a nice loop and hairpin.

ADV - Invertigo

Gemini vs. The Racer

Both have two trains racing side by side. Both are kinda rough.

ADV - GEMINI

Disaster Transport vs. Flight of Fear

Both are inside coasters but Flight of Fear is twice as good.

ADV - Flight of Fear

Mean Streak vs. The Beast

I quit riding the Mean Streak years ago because it is too rough. The Beast is a legend.

ADV - The Beast

Mine Ride vs. Son of Beast

Son of Beast is shut down for awhile, but with it's loop or not it's still better than any wooden coaster from Cedar Point.

ADV - Son of Beast

--------------------------

Blue Streak vs. Adventure Express

Neither are that great.

EVEN

Power Tower vs. Drop Tower

Power Tower is 240 ft. Drop Tower is 310 ft and spins you on way up. Drop Tower is way better.

ADV - Drop Tower

Max Air vs Delirium

Same exact ride.

EVEN

Skyhawk vs. The Crypt

Skyhawk alot taller and faster and dominates The Crypt.

ADV - SKYHAWK

Demon Drop vs. Backlot Stunt Coaster

These two are nothing alike, but I like them both the same, so they cancel each other out.

EVEN

Camp Snoopy vs. Nickelodeon Universe

Kings Island is the Kid Capital Of The World. Nickelodeon Universe has been voted best Kid's area in the world 8 years in a row.

ADV - NICKLEOEDON UNIVERSE

Challenge Racing vs. Thunder Alley

Thunder Alley a Joke. Both Of Cedar Points tracks are better.

ADV - CHALLENGE RACING

Soak City vs. Boomerang Bay

Boomerang Bay is including with your ticket price. Soack city is not. Boomerang Bay is alos bigger.

ADV - BOOMERANG BAY

Wow, you consider Blue Streak and Adventure Express to both be 'not that great'? Blue Streak is an amazing, air-time filled, trimless classic woodie. Adventure Express is the best Arrow mine train I've ever ridden. Now, between the two (though not a great comparison - Adventure Express and Cedar Creek Mine Ride would have been a better comparison as both are Arrow mine rides), Blue Streak is leagues better, but I don't consider either to be mediocre.

And neither Gemini nor Cedar Creek Mine Ride are wooden coasters. Both are steel. Though I've never ever considered Gemini to be rough. It's very smooth, especially for an Arrow steel. Unless you got a trim-less ride, which makes that last helix a little bit of a neck-snapper. I'd put Gemini over Racer (even though Gemini stole my phone!!) only because on Gemini the trains are close enough on the turns that you can give high-fives as the trains pass each other, which makes the experience a ton of fun. And the back seat has a very surprising amount of (phone-stealing) air time!

MaXair's ride cycle is significantly longer than Delirium's, which makes it way better imo. Did you ride the Power Tower up side (space shot) or just the down side (turbo drop)? Drop Tower is way better than the turbo drop side, but we have nothing to compare to space shot, which is awesome. And I'd never say Invertigo is a Wicked Twister 'upgrade' ... comparing a Vekoma inverted boomerang to an Intamin inverted impulse is really comparing apples to oranges. Invertigo gives me a horrendous headache. Wicked Twister is a barrel of fun, with it's LIM launch and dizzying height. The spires are over 200 ft tall and if you sit in the correct seat, you will get a completely un-blocked view straight down almost all 200 feet on the back spire!

Most of them I agree with, however. Especially the go-karts. The challenge park tracks are pretty wicked, and I'll actually pay to ride them. I'd never dream of paying for Thunder Alley's boring oval. As much as I love Millie, I love Diamondback better. While Raptor and Flight Deck are two different experiences, I prefer Raptor as it is VERY intense.

To be fair, the ones that can't really be compared at Cedar Point are Top Thrill Dragster, Disaster Transport (one of the few remaining bobsled coasters in the world), Demon Drop (first gen drop ride, another of the last remaining of it's kind), Maverick, Wicked Twister and the up-side of Power Tower. We just have nothing anywhere like those. On the flip side, the un-comparables at Kings Island would be Flight of Fear, Flight Deck (I'd compare Invertigo to Raptor instead of WT), Backlot Stunt Coaster, and the Crypt.

How many times have we seen Cedar Point and Kings Island been compared? IMO, it's impossible. Kings Island is a typical regional amusement park, with a handful of major thrill rides, and Cedar Point is a destination amusement park with more major thrill rides then any other park. They're two different classes of park.

I've been to both many times (more than I could count)

I would have to say I agree with the others. You simply can not compare the two. I consider CP my go-to for coasters. But if I want a family experience (keep in mind I have little ones) I choose Kings Island, hands down. KI is 5.5 hours from me, and CP is around 6 hrs away. We could go to either, but honestly...we choose KI for a reason.

I dunno, I love CP, but it seems...cold. I don't know how to explain that. KI is very welcoming. It could be because I spent my summers at KI when I was growing up.

What can I say, there's a special place in my heart for the Island.

Cedar Point is an amusement park, Kings Island is a theme park.

Cedar Point has a collection of amazing steel coasters, Kings Island has a legendary wood coaster and now one amazing steel coaster.

Personally, one park is really not enough to call "my home park." I like variety, and thankfully I live in a place where the two are a day trip away, I go to CP more often (its closer) but I go plenty of times to KI too. They compliment each other quite well.

I grew up with KI, and I always have loved it. I knew that CP had more coasters and better coasters, but until I went there for the first time, I didnt realize how much better it was than KI. Cedap point has pretty much everything, or a resemblence of everything that KI has, plus tons more!

my grades:

Diamondback vs. Millenium-

I think DB is kind of like a watered down version of Millenium, but I think the restraints on DB are better. I also feel that you get more air time on the hills on DB......so I have to give it to DB, even though its not as tall.

Mantis vs. Firehawk-

I would say Firehawk all the way. Mantis looked cool, but when I finally got ona rode it, it was just kind of so so. Firehawk, You are laying down the whole time, so you are faced either directly at the ground or directly at the sky. I like that about it.

Raptor vs. flight deck-

In this battle, i will go with Cedar Point's coaster. Raptor is a much better ride than flight deck. Flight deck is old and outdated. Back when it was newer, or even when it was old but still top gun, it was better because of the theme and the atmosphere. But now Raptor takes the lead.

On the flip side, the un-comparables at Kings Island would be Flight of Fear, Flight Deck (I'd compare Invertigo to Raptor instead of WT), Backlot Stunt Coaster, and the Crypt.

You can't compare Flight Deck to Iron Dragon?

No. Because I'll never understand how Iron Dragon sucks so badly when Flight Deck and Big Bad Wolf are so great. :lol:

Y'all don't need to respond if you're not going to answer the questions. There are similarities and I'm going to answer the question. 'Nuff said.

Overall: CP >>> KI

MF >> DB

Diamondback is a smaller, slower coaster than MF. MF also has better views and even the smallest hills get me floating.

Kings Island has...

Diamondback

Beast

SOB (might close though)

Flight of Fear

Firehawk

Cedar Point has...

Raptor

Millennium Force

Top Thrill Dragster

Maverick

Magnum XL-200

Wicked Twister

The first 4 coaster's listed above are better than anything at KI in my opinion. Cedar Point is also next to a lake, which is definitely a plus. KI is a decent park though. I will say, KI beats Cedar Point in the wooden coaster department.

Before people ask me about my username, I do love DB. But Raptor, MF, Top Thrill, and Maverick are way better in my opinion.

Also, AE is overrated on here and is SUCH mediocre ride.

On the flip side, the un-comparables at Kings Island would be Flight of Fear, Flight Deck (I'd compare Invertigo to Raptor instead of WT), Backlot Stunt Coaster, and the Crypt.

You can't compare Flight Deck to Iron Dragon?

No. Because I'll never understand how Iron Dragon sucks so badly when Flight Deck and Big Bad Wolf are so great. :lol:

Uh, maybe because Flight Deck is faster and less boring...? ;)

Well I am no professional reviewer. I live smack dab between both parks, 100 miles from each. I normally go to Cedar Point and yesterday was the first time I been to Kings Island in almost 10 years or so.

The reason I always choose Cedar Point was because Kings Island was considered a theme park.

But after visiting Cedar Point last week and Kings Island this week, It was hard for me not to compare the two, especially after feeling Kings Island was no longer just a theme park. Also considering I am 31 years old and do not ride the kids rides or pay much attention to the small themes on rides at KI, except I did notice quite a effort for Flight of Fear. But Cedar Point also has some kinda small theme to some of their rides as well.

I was totally amused yesterday and it sure in the hell wasn't the rides props or music that did it.

Kings Island has some great rides now and has closed to gap considerable.

One thing I noticed lately is that Cedar Point is trying to be more themed and kid friendly like Kings Island and Kings Island is trying to be more like Cedar Point. I think in a handfull of years that both parks will be equal and Kings Island will even surpass Cedar Point because it seems it has more room for development.

As I said, I am not a profressional reviewer, these are just my opionions, so your a idiot if you try to tell me I wrong. Im not going to tell you that your opionion is wrong, that just moronic. If you don't agree with me then fine, but don't tell me I am wrong.

one more thing for KAT

you trying to tell me Gemini and Mine Ride or not Wooden Coaster and are steel? ??????????

Am I missing something? I rode Gemini the most of any coaster. To be honest I didnt read much of anything you said because your very first sentence is just plain wrong.

And the idiot who agrees with this person just because they are their friend isignorant too.

What is wrong with you people?

Sorry to hear about your bad welcoming party. But I can assure you that they mean no ill will in critiquing(sp?) your critiques(sp again?) Welcome! and after a few weeks you'll be a KIC pro too. I think its more of a fact that there are some members here who are very protective of they're CP (you know who yall are :))

Again Sorry to hear about your first few days here, but it'll get fun! Don't you worry!

one more thing for KAT

you trying to tell me Gemini and Mine Ride or not Wooden Coaster and are steel? ??????????

Am I missing something? I rode Gemini the most of any coaster. To be honest I didnt read much of anything you said because your very first sentence is just plain wrong.

And the idiot who agrees with this person just because they are their friend isignorant too.

Ignore them. They're just rude ;)

one more thing for KAT

Ignore them. They're just rude ;)

Honestly, I sensed no rudeness in any post other than, ironically, Kevin James' posts. Kevin, if you get your panties in a bunch over such a small thing, I'm sure nobody here will think much of your absence.

Yes. Gemini and Cedar Creek Mine Ride are both steel coasters. A coaster is defined by it's track, not it's supports.

Look at the track on Gemini:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig14.htm?picture=4

Look at the track on Cedar Creek Mine Ride:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig18.htm?picture=5

one more thing for KAT

Wow, way to flip out over nothing. :rolleyes: Ever heard the phrase you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? There's no faster way to make enemies than saying everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Most of us were respectfully disagreeing with you based on our own experiences at the parks, and to decide that makes us idiots ... well, I don't need to complete that sentence.

And yes, Gemini and CCMR (and Adventure Express) are steel coasters. They are wood-structure hybrid steel coasters, meaning they run on a tubular steel track but have a wooden support structure. It is a fairly rare type of coaster, and I believe Cedar Point is the only park in the world to have two wood-steel hybrids. There are also many steel-wood hybrids, such as the Voyage at Holiday World, which have a steel support structure and wood track.

Not to mention, Kevin, calling other users morons and idiots is a violation of the Terms of Service:

Respect - This is totally obvious so I'm not going into detail, but I will tell you this: if you get angry or frustrated, put out the flame thrower because a post that's disrespectful to another user, group, or individual is going to constitute a warning.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4128

I really don't understand you. You ask for respect, but imply that others who disagree with you are idiots and morons.

Sigh.

Sorry, I just cant get over them being considered not wooden.

Does The Beast have wooden everything?

I don't pretend to be a coaster guru but everyone I know, considers them to be wooden coasters.

Even if they are technical a hybrid, they are still 99% wooden. When you look at them, you seen nothing but wood. I will always consider them wooden coasters and so will 99% of all other people.

And since you guys like getting technical, if they are hybrid, means that they are wooden and steel, so my statement is correct. No need to take something out of context and nit pick.

For the Cedar Point homers, notice how I did say Cedar Point is better. It may of sounded like I favor Kings Island, but that is just because I was just there yesterday for the first time in a decade and it really impressed me, it was nice to ride some different types of rides.

I will remember never to try to add anything to these forums seeing how people pay no attention to the point and try to correct or flame you for your opinion. I really thought that you guys would enjoy my optimism for Kings Island, seeing how this is a Kings Island board, but I guess not.

Oh and I never called anyone a idiot or a moron. I said people who say someone's opionion is wrong is an idiot and moron. You took it personal, so I guess if the shoe fits, then you're going to wear it. HA

This will be my last post here, deleting it from my bookmarks.

The Beast HAS ....

NAILS = 375,000 LBS.

BOLTS = 82,480

WASHERS = 5,180

CONCRETE = 2,432 Square Yards

You can if you want. No one is rightfully going to call you a moron or an idiot for doing so! Many years ago there was a poster on rec.roller-coaster in USENET (Mr. Northover, I believe it was) who loved to call wood coasters steel and steel coasters wood. It all started with Gemini. Truly.

Note that rcdb.com calls Gemini steel:

http://www.rcdb.com/id14.htm

Same for Adventure Express.

It is the track and not the structure that defines the type of coaster a coaster is. You still have the right to call it whatever you want. You can call it pastrami, if you wish, but I do not recommend you try it on rye with mustard!

Kevin, what do you think Voyage is at Holiday World? Its mostly steel, but yet its made by the Gravity Group who profess to be a wooden coaster manufacturer.

Also Arrow Dynamics built Gemini, and Adventure Express. That company pioneered the steel coaster design with the Matterhorn and created the steel tubular track, that company would vehemently deny that it ever built a wood coaster (if it was still around.)

Weither or not something is a steel or wooden coaster depends on the track, more specifically the rails. If said rails are made of tubular steel, its a steel coaster. If they are made of many layers of laminated wood with a thin steel strip on the surfaces where the wheels touch it is a wood coaster.

The two designs give vastly different rides, one can (and in the best designs is) butter smooth due to the nature of metal and the ability that the wheels have to hug the tubular shape while the other since at its core is made of wood and the wheels are not as firmly attached to the structure gives a less smooth, more "out of control" ride.