My Thoughts on Cedar Point vs Kings Island

Kevin James

^I think that's part of where malem's thoughts of bias comes in with the fact that I won't visit Kings Island as an out of town guest.  I was slightly negating that bias in only focusing on the in-park aspects. 

Though, I would point out that as neat as the beach and some of the areas around CP like Sandusky, Put-In-Bay, and Port Clinton are nice to explore, there's simply more to do around Kings Island (unless if you're up there and you're up to hiking out to Cleveland).  Like, if you're going to CP, its the main course of the trip by a long shot.  With Kings Island, there's more to keep your interest within the area.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 9:36 PM, King Ding Dong said:

One has a Skyride and one doesn’t. 

One has two rivers but can’t staff them on Memorial Day Weekend, the other can.

Difficult comparison indeed.  :D

Will Ki ever get another skyride? God I hope so

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hope one day that Kings Island gets a B&M Floorless coaster. That's the only thing I feel is missing between the Cedar Point and Kings Island. Cedar Point converted Mantis to Rougarou and now I'm hoping that one day Kings Island gets one next.

• Like 1

Shawn, you and Mathew are the only two people that I can recall that are gaga over that ride.  The thing has the worst headbanging in the park.  Most wouldn’t touch it if it wasn’t always a walk-on.    Now if they could build one that didn’t require a dose of ibuprofen I am game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Rougarou- I've had both very smooth rides on it, and one kinda headbangy one (It wasn't that bad, though I was also sitting in the very last row on that ride). I liked the strong G-Forces and thought it had a great layout. Then again, I have pretty high coaster durability apparently because I also like Vortex and Magnum XL-200 and rarely do I get off a coaster in pain or with a headache . But my sister, who is a foot smaller than me and dislikes Vortex, did like Rougarou (she HATED it as Mantis though).

Also if Kings Island did get a B&M Floorless Coaster, it would likely be very different. Not only has B&M gone from the OTSRs to Vest Restraints (Rougarou could not get vests due to being a former stand-up) they also have more "graceful" designs these days that don't "snap" from element to element as much like their 90's coasters did. Of the 6 B&M coasters I have ridden, Rougarou and Raptor feel very different in that regard from Banshee, Diamondback, GateKeeper, and Valravn (Though Rougarou's 1st half feels much closer to the newer coasters it whips around plenty after the MCBR). I imagine if Kings Island did ask B&M to build them a floorless, it would be similar to a sit-down Banshee with lots of large high speed inversions and smooth transitions.

TBH, thinking about it that way, B&M would need to be careful not to create "Banshee, but ABOVE the track!". I would probably go with a different drop style, include some inversions Banshee lacks (Cobra Roll, Corkscrews, etc.) and maybe even add some tunnels. Having some inversions seen on Banshee would be OK, but I would not use too many (Loop + Zero G Roll might be enough). If designed properly to compliment Banshee instead of compete with it (B&M could probably pull it off) a coaster like that could be a valuable addition to Kings Island's lineup, especially considering as a B&M it would have great capacity and reliability. Make it too much like Banshee though, and guests will wonder why Kings Island dropped $20M+ on a similar ride.

• Thanks 1

I love rougarou, and I love Vortex. I laugh when people say they are rough, I had a beast ride Tuesday and that was the worst ride I've had out of any coaster this year. But I usually sitting in the middle row of a car too, this was row 15 and it was very uncomfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, McSalsa said:

I like Rougarou- I've had both very smooth rides on it, and one kinda headbangy one (It wasn't that bad, though I was also sitting in the very last row on that ride). I liked the strong G-Forces and thought it had a great layout.

Also if Kings Island did get a B&M Floorless Coaster, it would likely be very different. Not only has B&M gone from the OTSRs to Vest Restraints (Rougarou could not get vests due to being a former stand-up).

I saw this discussed on a thread on Pointbuzz.com in a similar topic. One guy said that why not reconfigure the trains on Rougarou and make them 3 seats across so that way you could use the vest style system on that particular ride. Another topic I mentioned was that they could spend the money again and fix the parts of the layout that cause head banging. Maybe take out the corkscrew at the end of the ride. Maybe take out the mid-course brake run because the trains fly right through it anyway.

Yes If Kings Island gets a B&M Floorless coaster someday, maybe they could make a layout similar to Dominator at Kings Dominion. The trains on Dominator are similar to Rougarou, but there's no head banging because the curves and dimensions of the ride are more spread out than Rougarou. I know Kings Island has room to work with so they could make it happen. Plus I can see them breaking world records if they wanted to too.

Wow! reading those comparisons is hilarious! haha 

Those coaster at CP and AE at KI are steel because the track is fully steel. Man where do these kids come from lol. Not know the different between an overbanked turn and a helix lol I don't think I have laughed this hard in weeks. There is no way Diamondback and Millie can be compared. Should of used Magnum. Raptor and Flight deck? Are you kidding me? I think someone has never been to CP. Wicked Twister is 1 million times better then Invertigo and they also can't be compared. They are two different types of coasters. Comparing Gemini and The Racers......sigh come on. Disaster Transport is a bob sled and Flight of Fear is a launched coaster. HAHAHA The Cedar Creek Mine Ride and SOB is the most hilarious comparison I have seen.

The one that I have no clue how to even wrap my brain around is Demon Drop and BLSC. I mean how do you even......nvm I give up lol.

Nuff said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2018 at 11:16 PM, King Ding Dong said:

Shawn, you and Mathew are the only two people that I can recall that are gaga over that ride.  The thing has the worst headbanging in the park.  Most wouldn’t touch it if it wasn’t always a walk-on.    Now if they could build one that didn’t require a dose of ibuprofen I am game. 

You mean me? If so, you are correct! I love how aggressive it is, even though I’m still not a fan of the headbanging. Also the theme and color scheme helps a lot too! :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Wow, this thread brings back memories! Since this thread we gained Banshee and MT. We beat CP in the wood coaster collection.

We still do not have an Intamin like Maverick, which I would like to see as much if not more than a giga.

TBH, me too- I would love it if Kings Island got a ride like that, in the former Dinosaurs Alive! area. Keep as many trees as possible, and do like The Beast and actually hide most of the ride from the views of the midways, save the lift hill (which would be around the same size, maybe just a bit larger than Maverick's hill). And of course, have a mid-course launch inside a tunnel just like Maverick has. Hidden by the trees and terrain, the twists and turns would seem to come from nowhere and be unpredictable, especially at night. If Intamin is off the table, maybe Mack could even create a coaster like this.

The other coaster I would like KI to get even more than a Giga would be massive, 200'+ ground up RMC coaster. This would not be easy to hide like the Blitz, but it would give Kings Island a towering 200'+ wooden structure once again after the demise of Son of Beast, and this one would probably be a far superior ride. Not to mention if it was anything like Steel Vengeance in terms of ejector airtime, there would be TONS of it. None of the rides at Kings Island really have super strong airtime like that, so this would easily fill that hole.

A Giga would be my #3 pick though, and from a marketing standpoint, seems like the obvious choice for the park to make- you go above 300 feet, and the GP come running. Due to their super-high capacity and reliability, B&M would be the obvious go-to for this.

All 3 would easily be world-class, epic rides IMO though.

• Like 3

Just went to CP and realized that the only coasters I've ever ridden that are of an entirely different order (Millie, TTD, Maverick, Steel Vengeance) all live at CP. KI seriously needs a giga that uses the area of Dinosaurs Alive and Vortex.

• Like 1

I do not like to pick one over the other as I like each park for their different aspects. I feel that KI definitely has CP beat in the wood coaster department and mine train dept. Many of CP's coasters are newer and are a lot more accommodating in the seating. I also think KI's kids area is superior as well as overall theming. I also think both parks need more flat rides. 

• Like 1

Opinion

Cedar Point - More coasters  Bigger coasters.  Not as many re-rideable coasters
Kings Island - Less coasters, smaller coasters.  More re-rideable coasters
Winner depends on if you want the biggest coasters or if you want coasters you can ride over.

Cedar Point - The atmosphere is mostly from the lake outside the park.  Majority of the park except Frontiertown/Trail is barren and lacks shade.  Miserable on a hot day.  Very little theming.   The historic arcade building is an eyesore.  The entrance to CP is very mundane.
Kings Island -  Better overall atmosphere.    Great entrance with the fountain and tower, but it looks trashy with the white picnic tables and lack of shade at the tables (compare Kings Dominion).  Themed sections, although Paramount did a huge chop job on the theming, CF has been brining it back slowly. 
Winner Kings Island

Cedar Point - Great entertainment lineup this year with like 10 non-kiddie shows.
Kings Island - Entertainment dept has really downsized schedule.  Only 3 non-kidde shows this year.
Winner-Cedar Point

Cedar Point - 2 car rides, train, ferris wheel, carrousel, skyride
Kings Island - Eiffel Tower, carrousel, train, helicopters, boo blasters
Pretty much a draw on the total family rides area. Both lack them!  (any ride with speed such as a flat ride is NOT a total family ride)

Cedar Point-the most god awful food of any amusement park.  Struggle to find anything edible there.  Too many franchises at lower quality/higher price than real world.
Kings Island  -  Same as Cedar Point, just slightly above.
Winner - all of the restaurants outside of the parks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, super7 said:

Cedar Point - More coasters  Bigger coasters.  Not as many re-rideable coasters
Kings Island - Less coasters, smaller coasters.  More re-rideable coasters
Winner depends on if you want the biggest coasters or if you want coasters you can ride over.

I get the point but I could ride GateKeeper, Valravn, Top Thrill, and Millie almost nonstop-at least the 1st 3

• Like 1

If I had my choice on Kids area in the perspective of kids getting a lot of rides in, I would take my kids to CP. A lot of times the ride ops in PS are waiting on kids to show up at CP. PS at KI, you are waiting 15 to 30 minutes for a cycle on just about all PS rides when it gets busy.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2018 at 11:04 PM, Shawn Meyer said:

I hope one day that Kings Island gets a B&M Floorless coaster. That's the only thing I feel is missing between the Cedar Point and Kings Island. Cedar Point converted Mantis to Rougarou and now I'm hoping that one day Kings Island gets one next.

B&M is not currently building roller coasters in the United States.  

• Confused 1