My Thoughts on Cedar Point vs Kings Island

Kevin James

The Beast kills Vortex and Firehawk IMO

Maverick, TTD, and Millie are in a class of their own and KI has nothing like them

CP has nothing like Diamondback

CP has a higher concentration of fantastic rides that rise magestically out of the water

KI is a beautiful park with awesome landscaping and theming which also has a lot of great rides

KI is a place where Cincy kids (and adults) make a habit of spending much of their summers

CP is a coaster mecca that people travel to

The Beast kills Vortex and Firehawk IMO

Maverick, TTD, and Millie are in a class of their own and KI has nothing like them

CP has nothing like Diamondback

CP has a higher concentration of fantastic rides that rise magestically out of the water

KI is a beautiful park with awesome landscaping and theming which also has a lot of great rides

KI is a place where Cincy kids (and adults) make a habit of spending much of their summers

CP is a coaster mecca that people travel to

:lol:

^I agree with HandsUp. I don't think Diamondback and Millie are even remotely close. I think Diamondback is closer to Magnum than Millie (both out & back hypers with tons of airtime).

Flight Deck vs... RAPTOR?! What happened to Iron Dragon?!?! That's like comparing Son of Beast to the Mine Ride... oh, wait...

:D

Mine ride and gemini are steel coasters, just because they have wooden supports does not make them wooden coasters. I don't know why that is hard to understand. Anyways, I think this thread is getting a bit out of control....

Guest rcfreak339
How many times have we seen Cedar Point and Kings Island been compared? IMO, it's impossible. Kings Island is a typical regional amusement park, with a handful of major thrill rides, and Cedar Point is a destination amusement park with more major thrill rides then any other park. They're two different classes of park.

Most definitely agree, Cedar Point and Kings Island are two different breeds of parks. Cedar Point is a destination were you can spend a week at one of there many hotels on the Cedar Point resort area and at the park. Kings Island is a big, classic amusement park with all the classics with some of the newer better thrills.

Not all the classics. Where's the Tilt-A-Whirl? The Ferris Wheel? The turnpike cars? The flying scooters? The Tumble Bug? The mouse coaster? And the sit down table service park restaurant, or at least the cafeteria?

Actually, even now, Kings Island is far closer to being a theme park than an old time amusement park.

^I agree with HandsUp. I don't think Diamondback and Millie are even remotely close. I think Diamondback is closer to Magnum than Millie (both out & back hypers with tons of airtime).

How are they "not remotely close"? They're made by different people? They look alike. They feel alike. They are both smooth. They're both tall. They both have helix's at the end. 'Nuff said.

On the flip side, the un-comparables at Kings Island would be Flight of Fear, Flight Deck (I'd compare Invertigo to Raptor instead of WT), Backlot Stunt Coaster, and the Crypt.

You can't compare Flight Deck to Iron Dragon?

No. Because I'll never understand how Iron Dragon sucks so badly when Flight Deck and Big Bad Wolf are so great. :lol:

I rode Big Bad Wolf today. Wow!

I agree and I can't believe how slow Iron Dragon is compared to Big Bad Wolf and Flight Deck. A great combo of speed and use of terrain.

One could argue that DB is similar to Maggie or Millie, because of a similar layout, etc. But the overall impression that they leave is much different. Millie is all about intense spped, height, and overall 'force'. DB is about making you fly, and freeing you from the train.

In terms of car racing, I once compared Millie to NASCAR (high speed, intense in-line G forces) and Maverick to Formula 1 (high acceleration, agile twists and turns, lots of lateral motion). To stay with the analogy, I'd compare DB to some form of motorcross-a series of jumps.

On the flip side, the un-comparables at Kings Island would be Flight of Fear, Flight Deck (I'd compare Invertigo to Raptor instead of WT), Backlot Stunt Coaster, and the Crypt.

You can't compare Flight Deck to Iron Dragon?

No. Because I'll never understand how Iron Dragon sucks so badly when Flight Deck and Big Bad Wolf are so great. :lol:

True that, true that. It's so slow!

My best memories of that ride consist of waiting in line for Dragster. Watching Dragster consistently go 120 MPH then seeing Iron Dragon look like it's going about 5 in that helix.

• 1 month later...

I began going to Kings Island in 1976, I had always heard of Cedar Point but it seemed so far away since I live in Central Kentucky. Well, long story short my family and I went to CP this year for the first time. I hate to say it, but it will be awhile before I return to KI because CP is just a much larger experience. We couldn't take it all in in just two days.

I will say unequivocally that Boomerang Bay is a whole lot better than Soak City and I miss LaRosa's at lunch time but other than that The Point is going to be my destination for a few years over my home park of Kings Island.

How many times have we seen Cedar Point and Kings Island been compared? IMO, it's impossible. Kings Island is a typical regional amusement park, with a handful of major thrill rides, and Cedar Point is a destination amusement park with more major thrill rides then any other park. They're two different classes of park.

Yes, but Kings Island is by far the best regional park I've been to.

I like both parks but have to admit that I prefer KI over CP, even though KI is farther away from where I live. My first trip to KI was back on August 25th, 1974 when I was just ten-years-old (I still have to park info book, check out the pictures here http://www.KICentral.com/history/photos/th...ils.php?album=8 ). The park layout to KI seems to be an easier walk, just head to the Eiffel Tower and choose your direction, while CP seems to be almost one long continious walk. To me, KI was more of a family park, with CP being more of a thrill ride park, although in recent years CP has really improved itself in that department. Another thing that I like is that KI doesn't charge extra for the waterpark. CP's advantage over KI for me is that I can travel to the park and back in one day, with KI always being overnight.

Mike B.

Cedar Point has a lot of different things to choose from. All of their coasters give a very different experience. Kings Island just doesn't have as many; 9 adult thrill coasters. Cedar Point has maybe 14. But I don't know if any Cedar Point coasters are that better than Kings Island - never been there.

I think right now I give the edge to Cedar Point. Not the park but the area is much nice. Cedar Point has more things to do than just visit an amusment park. It has a beach pretty much just as good as any ocean beach I have been too even though it may not be as large its not as crowded either. No one goes to a beach in Ohio! While I wish we had Millieum Force, Top Thrill, and Maverick, Kings Island older rides are far better than Cedar Points. Racers is much better than Genmi and Blue Streak. Vortex is much better than Corkscrew. Flight of Fear owns Cedar Point dark ride. With a few bucks spent I think Kings Island wil take the cake for me. Lets add a Maverick style ride and maybe something with a 100MPH launch.

How are they "not remotely close"? They're made by different people? They look alike. They feel alike. They are both smooth. They're both tall. They both have helix's at the end. 'Nuff said.

Right... How do they look alike? They're different colors, different track styles, different support styles, VERY different track layouts, and very different train styles. Millie doesn't have a helix at the end. And they feel alike? Every coaster I've been on feels like a coaster...

So what's left... they're tall and smooth. So that means Diamondback and Superman: The Escape at SFMM are the same too, right? And Wicked Twister.

• 8 years later...

I like CP over Kings Island, but only by a little bit, a small margin of error.  I feel they compliment each other in a lot of respects, but CP has a slight edge due to a better selection of intermediate rides and a better flat ride collection, not to mention a far better steel coaster collection as well as slightly better customer service.  KI has more and better wooden coasters, a better water park, and a better park layout.   Every other aspect is about even or within minuscule differences where its not that big a deal.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I like CP over Kings Island, but only by a little bit, a small margin of error.  I feel they compliment each other in a lot of respects, but CP has a slight edge due to a better selection of intermediate rides and a better flat ride collection, not to mention a far better steel coaster collection as well as slightly better customer service.  KI has more and better wooden coasters, a better water park, and a better park layout.   Every other aspect is about even or within minuscule differences where its not that big a deal.  

This, though I would also give Cedar Point the Beach, which is a plus and minus. Plus because it is is cool and looks great, giving coasters like Millennium Force and Magnum XL-200 epic first drop views. Minus because it attracts bugs, and there is zero protection from wind gusts, so if it gets windy rides go down for sure. Cedar Point also has its excellent on-site and just off-site resort hotels, which are super convenient and enable multi-day stays. Which leads to my next thought: I'd prefer CP if I have multiple days to use, but if I only have 1 (and no Fast Lane), then I am probably gonna have a better time at Kings Island due to the easier-to-navigate and smaller layout and the fact that KI is usually less crowded, especially if the weather is iffy (likely due to the fact CP is more resort guests, and KI is season pass holders- one group HAS to stay, the latter can just come another day with better weather).

• Like 2