Vortex rough?

adbort

I'm sure everyone has heard people complain on the roughness of Vortex. I've been riding Vortex since 1987 when it was brand new, and I was only 7 years old then. I have never thought or think now that Vortex is rough. I'm 6'1'' and I always sit in seat 7-1. Why do you or do people think the ride is rough. I belive sometimes that The Beast is rough and not Vortex.

Call me crazy but not once have I gotten off Vortex and heard the GP complain of it being rough. Something we all have to remember is this ride debuted in 1987. The computer technology wasn't has advanced as it is now. I think we are all now spoiled by the "computer age" coasters. Now I'm not saying Vortex wasn't deisgned without the help of computers. It's just the technology we had back then was no where as near as advanced as it is today. Vortex has, and always will have, the "awe factor." Meaning, how it's placed, people sit there and gawk at it forever.

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy

I only think it's ruff when I don't sit in the seat with more leg room. If I have the leg room, it's a great ride, mostly smooth and I just get some great air time and pretty dizzy. If I sit in any other seat my legs get banged and I get banged b/c I can't sit right.

The back of any car can make for a rough ride. Since i'm a little on the taller side at 6'1'' my knees get bashed pretty bad when I sit in a backseat of a car. But my seat of choice has to be 7-1 love the feeling of getting pulled over the top of the lift, and pulled down the drop. I was a ride op on Vortex in 2001, and they were a few incidents where guests did get off with headaches and got their ears bashed pretty bad. We even had to close a few times cause someone's ear got cut open. I guess they had earrings in, and sometimes earrings are not the best to have in if you ride a coaster with OTSR. But all in all, I love Vortex and probably always will.

Long Live Vortex smile.gif

I don't know if it's supposed to go faster, especially at the tops of the loops. My physics teacher said something about it, I can't think of exactly what. I slept during that class. Something about centripetal force?

Also, am I the only one who has never experienced any headbanging or severe discomfort on The Vortex? I'm 5'5'' could that have anything to do with it?

Vortex is rough but in a different way than The Beast. The Beast shacks and rattles while Vortex bangs anyone who is under 6 feet tal(most of the people at the park) until you get a major headache. They need to get rid of the horscollars and either get OTSR's or lab bars.

What's the diff between horsecollars and OTSRs?

Not this again...

In a nutshell, certain people think that there are two types of restraints that go over your shoulder: 1) The overly padded and bulky ones, like the ones you see on our two Vekomas, Face/Off and RRR, which these people refer to as an OTSR, and 2)The essentially unpadded Over-The-Shoulder-Restraint, as found on Vortex, which is referred to as a "horsecollar." Personally, I think that they both go over your shoulder, so another name could perhaps be developed for the so-called "OTSR" to not create confusion or chaos. I think this due to the fact that the so called "horsecollar" goes over your shoulder, very much the same as the so called "OTSR" which, by the way, stands for Over The Shoulder Restraint. Anyone else see my reasoning here?

Edited by Losing Streak

>>In a nutshell, certain people think that there are two types of restraints that go over your shoulder: 1) The overly padded and bulky ones, like the ones you see on our two Vekomas, Face/Off and RRR, which these people refer to as an OTSR, and 2)The essentially unpadded Over-The-Shoulder-Restraint, as found on Vortex, which is referred to as a "horsecollar."<<

In that case, I've always found the horsecollars mroe comfortable than the "overly padded" ones. With the horsecollars I can at least hold my head forward to keep my ears from banging on the harness. this was impossible with the old sholder harnesses on FOF, for example. But that's just my opinion and how my body works. hehe

Cris