Carowinds 2010!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://carowindsconnection.com/viewtopic.p...&start=2535

Track arrived. It was the red B&M track seen at the factory.

Serious question here - while the track does look similar (color), there is also a difference that confuses me. The spine for the track at Carowinds looks to have a flanged I-beam structure versus a box structure on the B&M "factory" photos. Does Diamondback have any spine that isn't box beams (I can't remember any, but may be wrong)?

Not saying it isn't B&M and isn't the same track, just confused by the difference.

http://carowindsconnection.com/viewtopic.p...&start=2535

Track arrived. It was the red B&M track seen at the factory.

Serious question here - while the track does look similar (color), there is also a difference that confuses me. The spine for the track at Carowinds looks to have a flanged I-beam structure versus a box structure on the B&M "factory" photos. Does Diamondback have any spine that isn't box beams (I can't remember any, but may be wrong)?

Not saying it isn't B&M and isn't the same track, just confused by the difference.

Brake Run/ Transfer Track.

:)

What does "12E, 3E, The Big E. Carolinas," (that) have to do with it? I know 12E comes off of Disaster Transport, but does it refer to something else?

There are 2 thoughts. 12E could just be a refrenced to Disaster Transport and is 12 ENUFF? This would be coaster 13 for Carowinds. Also 12E, could be 1+2 = 3 as in #3 of NASCAR Fame Dale Earnhardt, the Intimidator who is a legend of NASCAR and Charlotte will see the NASCAR hall of fame open next year so Carowinds might have a tie in here with White Lightning, the Intimidator and NASCAR.

What does "12E, 3E, The Big E. Carolinas," (that) have to do with it? I know 12E comes off of Disaster Transport, but does it refer to something else?

There are 2 thoughts. 12E could just be a refrenced to Disaster Transport and is 12 ENUFF? This would be coaster 13 for Carowinds. Also 12E, could be 1+2 = 3 as in #3 of NASCAR Fame Dale Earnhardt, the Intimidator who is a legend of NASCAR and Charlotte will see the NASCAR hall of fame open next year so Carowinds might have a tie in here with White Lightning, the Intimidator and NASCAR.

Oh, okay. The way you wrote it, I hadn't understood it. But, now I understand it and I knew what all of it was. :)

http://carowindsconnection.com/viewtopic.p...2&start=240

In the second picture, do the ends of the rails look odd to you? They look strange.

In the bottom picture, are those magnetic brakes? I don't remember seeing those on Dimoandback. Also, there is more talk about this coaster being launched, and supposedly some more track was being delivered today. That track is supposedly the launch track. Pictures of track on a flatbed on the highway can be found on the page following the page after the one linked above. The flatbed truck's track is supposed to be the launch track.

I am pretty sure that it is not a launch. Why? B&M will NOT do launches. I believe the only B&M coaster that is launched is Incredible Hulk, and that launch was done by another company. The ride so far looks to be a hypercoaster, judging by the timetable of the construction so far and the track pieces that have arrived at the park. Those track pieces look nearly identical to those that showed up at Kings Island around one year ago this time. If I were to guess, I would assume this is the 3rd installment of a B&M Hypercoaster at a Cedar Fair park lately. Is it possible that Cedar Fair signed a contract with B&M to do 3 coasters at 3 of their parks within 3 years? I think Busch did the same thing with their Diving Machines, and Cedar Fair might have also done that with the GCIIs at Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, and was should have been California's Great America.

My 2 cents on the subject.

Guess what drink Cedar Fair now sponsors..... interesting? or pure coincidence?

http://www.whytelightning.com/

EDIT: Sorry, this drink is irrelevant to Carowinds...It's sponsored by Cedar Point only...

I'm not sure if this was pointed out elsewhere on this board, but people did some digging on another board and noted that said drink and drink company (Crystal Rock Bottling Company) do not actually exist, and that the domain was registered only very recently.

It appears to all be part of the marketing strategy -- one that is combining elements from both Cedar Point and Carowinds.

I am pretty sure that it is not a launch. Why? B&M will NOT do launches. I believe the only B&M coaster that is launched is Incredible Hulk, and that launch was done by another company. The ride so far looks to be a hypercoaster, judging by the timetable of the construction so far and the track pieces that have arrived at the park. Those track pieces look nearly identical to those that showed up at Kings Island around one year ago this time. If I were to guess, I would assume this is the 3rd installment of a B&M Hypercoaster at a Cedar Fair park lately. Is it possible that Cedar Fair signed a contract with B&M to do 3 coasters at 3 of their parks within 3 years? I think Busch did the same thing with their Diving Machines, and Cedar Fair might have also done that with the GCIIs at Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, and was should have been California's Great America.

My 2 cents on the subject.

Agreed. Not one other launched B&M pretty much strikes down the "launched" idea. But their's still a chance it could be launched. We won't know until we get some more information.

http://www.carowindsconnection.com/viewtop...2&start=390

Top post has a picture of supports.

http://www.carowindsconnection.com/viewtop...2&start=405

Halfway down has the same picture. It compares the two track pieces in the top center of the picture to the drop on Shiekra. This coaster will probably have a VERY steep drop (around 80*).

Reading the article a few more times the project cost they are mentioning may only be for construction and site prep, which is what really affects the local economy. The cost of design, track fabrication and so forth do not effect the local economy. Usually tax breaks like the one Carowinds just received are only given for projects that affect the local economy so I wonder if the $11 Million is just the affect that the local economy will feel.

I saw a commercial on YouTube that said August 26, 2009? Is that something else they're advertising?

August 26 is the announcement date.

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but are this coaster's markings crossing the state line? Could the monies be distributed between the two counties/states?

Shaggy

I don't think so. The article said they had to decide which side to put it on, and they put it on the York County side. I think RailRider has the correct idea.

Note that Borg: The Assimilator, now known as Nighthawk, is listed as a $4,000,000 investment in that article:

...The coaster follows the $4 million Nighthawk, which was added in 2004.

Nighthawk nee Borg: The Assimilator nee Stealth originally cost $17,000,000:

http://www.rcdb.com/583.htm

Jeff Seibert, formerly of Paramount Parks, often noted that the company only saved about half a million over the cost of a new coaster by moving Stealth.

By comparison, Firehawk nee X-Flight originally cost $15,000,000:

http://www.rcdb.com/920.htm

Thus, as has been noted, I'd not put a lot of stock in the cost of the yet to be announced coaster cited in the article. I suspect RailRider is correct...the figure is used to calculate tax concessions...it is not an accurate indicator of total costs.