Carowinds 2010!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is totally better than I305.

Don't judge a book by its cover. I learned that the hard way a few months back.

I can't believe how fast this coaster has gone up! I hope the speed of construction doesn't effect the quality of the coaster (not saying I doubt the quality of B&M, it's just how fast this thing has gone up sort-of worries me.) It's probably just me over-reacting again!

I think the weather has helped the crew erect this quickly, it's been in the 50's and sunny the past few days.

This is probably true. I didn't take into consideration that the weather in that area is generally nicer in the winter time than in the Cinci area. I remember it snowing quite a bit and being really cold when Diamondback was going up last year.

I think a lot of the construction speed can be attributed to the fact that the worksite has been easy to access. A lot of the site has been paved (the parking lot), so even if the ground hasn't been great they can still get things done, whereas with the KD site they're working on mud. Big difference. I'm also pretty sure that DB was mostly done by this time last year too, and that was a much harder job due to the site that most of DB sits on.

Also, KD's project now is mostly about stuff that's closer to the ground. There's only one more "big" hill they need to take care of, so I'm betting that construction will go much more quickly now then it has up until this point. Has an official opening date for either of these parks been announced yet?

Some pictures have been posted at Carowinds Connection: http://carowindsconnection.com/viewtopic.p...&start=2115

The webcam gives a REALLY cool view of the diving spiral and it looks like a wicked element and it comes VERY close to the ground (that is a link to an image of the webcam at the time of this post): http://66.193.7.116/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi...r=1260649369768

The live webcam can be found: http://www.intimidator.carowinds.com/public/webcam/index.cfm

4176761200_1af1fcbbf9_b.jpg

Is it just me, or does the Hammerhead look a lot more, (bad pun warning:)

Intimidating, in the animation? I mean in the animation it looked wickedly twisted, this angle makes it look pretty tame and mellow.

It honestly looks a lot more intense than the Hammerhead we got. Never down a coaster!

Unless its SOB...

HTCO, running for the door!

We drove by Carowinds last weekend and it was great to see it up and knowing its less than 6 months away from being open.

Carowinds is in need of new coasters and rides, before last year, Ricochet or Nighthawk was the newest ride there. They need to expand the park out a bit and put in some new rides. Its all crammed together. ;) I hope they get Delirium or Tomb Raider like ride. Need some of those type there. ;)

I do have to say, I love how Kings Island and Carowinds have same name rides, but they are different. Vortex is stand-up, where at KI its sit-down. Afterburn is floorless and inverted, where as Flight Deck isn't.

The same can be said of many of the former Paramount Parks offerings - For example, all have Drop Towers - three are Giant Drops, two are Gyro drops, and many have separate color schemes (I personally think Kings Island's is the best). Four have Top Gun coasters (some B&M Inverts, an Arrow Suspended, etc), two had Tomb Raider rides (one Giant Top Spin, one Suspended Top Spin), Vortex is the name of a ride at four of the parks (one Arrow suspended, two B&M stand-ups, one Arrow megalooper)...

Of course, I think the same can be said of many corporate-centered chains. For example, Cedar Fair has four -hawk rides (Firehawk, Thunderhawk, Skyhawk, and Nighthawk), two Dominators (one B&M floorless coaster, one S&S Drop Tower)...

It's fun to hear folks argue about how Vortex isn't Arrow, it's B&M because their home park is Carowinds, etc.

We drove by Carowinds last weekend and it was great to see it up and knowing its less than 6 months away from being open.

...I hope they get Delirium or Tomb Raider like ride. Need some of those type there. ;)...

Cedar Fair is widely suspected to soon begin a ride rotation program. Even some of the company employees (like Jeff Gramke at a KIC event last year) have said so. So, be careful what you wish for.

Carowinds could get Kings Island's Delirium.

Or...

The Crypt.