Carowinds 2010!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Carowinds opens three weeks before Kings Island, and their coaster was finished one month and five days earlier before ours. Also, you have to remember, they didn't start any earlier, so they did build it a LOT faster.

As mentioned before DB's location wasn't very easy to get compared to Intimidator. Also it appears the location of Intimidator is pretty flat compared to where DB is (obviously webcam images aren't the best!).

• 3 weeks later...

Also:

...Ride Warriors, stay tuned to http://intimidator.carowinds.com this week as we announce our details for the Intimidator First Ride Charity Auction and be one of the first to ride Intimidator on Opening Day, March 27, 2010 and also benefit charities within our region....

Source: Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, Carowinds, 14523 Carowinds Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28273

I cringed because the blog update stated "On the coaster itself, stair treds are being finished..." The correct way to spell the word is "tread." Yes, it is likely just a typo, but in this day and age when web browsers have a built in spell check, it is rather sad to see silly mistakes like that. But it can happen to even the best of us, even those of us on sound footing. ;)

RZ, those may be my favorite aspects of DB. The way the second hill heads into the ravine and then sends you out into nowhere is just phenomenal. Intimidator will have to be an amazing ride to top DB because of that. Plus the snake head is way cooler than the race car look.

Dale Earnhardt has been announced as one of the five inductees into the Nascar Hall of Fame in 2010! icon_smile.gif

http://www.daleearnhardthalloffame.com/

Also, I had somehow gotten to the first ride auction (I thought through Intimidator's website), but now I can't find it, and a few bids that had been placed have since been removed. I wonder if the link to the first rider auction was released early and wasn't quite ready?

First Rider Charity Auction For Intimidator!

BE THE FIRST TO RIDE THE COUNTRY'S HOTTEST NEW THRILL RIDE - INTIMIDATOR!

The most anticipated new thrill ride in the country, Intimidatorâ„¢, opens to the public on Saturday, March 27, 2010. As a kick-off to the tallest, fastest, and longest roller coaster in the Southeast, Carowinds is partnering with the Dale Earnhardt Foundation to host a charity auction for the first rides on this spectacular $23 million steel roller coaster, inspired by racing legend Dale Earnhardt.

The mission of the Dale Earnhardt Foundation is to "Continue The Legend™" and legacy of Dale Earnhardt through charitable programs and grants that sustain his lifelong commitment to Children, Education and Environmental/Wildlife Preservation. One hundred percent of the proceeds raised from the first ride auction will go directly to the Dale Earnhardt Foundation to benefit key organizations in the community that focus on children and education, such as JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation), Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Central & Western North Carolina, and the American Red Cross. The funds raised will also benefit charitable programs headed by the Dale Earnhardt Foundation.

For more information and to participate in the Intimidatorâ„¢ First Rider Charity Auction visit www.intimidator.carowinds.com. The bidding will begin at $50 per seat from the first three trains to leave the station on March 27, opening day.

Source:

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, Carowinds, 14523 Carowinds Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28273.

http://www.intimidator.carowinds.com/public/auction/

That is the link to the page if you would like to place a bid. Remember, each winning bid includes two admission tickets, so if you plan on going opening day with someone else, you might consider making a bid. Minimum bids are only $50, which is (I would think) be less than the price of two admissions. You could probably raise that bid a little (maybe to $80) and still only be paying admission price.

It definitely is being repainted. I couldn`t tell when I check earlier, because there was a glare coming off the track. I think if KI`s gets a similar color, as you noted, it will likely blend in well with the Rivertown theme and makeover it got last year. The question will be, are they going to repaint the log flum building as well? I sure would enjoy some pictures from KI...

Fortunately, right now I don`t have rent to pay. I do, however, have student loans to pay off, car insurance, and will be needing to buy a car soon. Fortunately, I have a job that started out as a seasonal job, and has turned into a non-seasonal position. The pay is still bad, but better than minimum wage and certainly better than no job at all.

I can`t wait to get back down to Carowinds and ride Intimidator. I also can`t wait to ride Afterburn again. I fell in love with that ride when I first rode it back in 2001. Unfortunately, I was unable to ride it again when I visited Carowinds on opening weekend last year, as it was closed due to high winds!