Mega Trip Report 7- World of Coke

cassie_KY

The Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coke are both located on Pemberton Place. After visiting the aquarium, we walked across the square and went to the Coca-Cola complex. We had a little under two hours to tour, so we would have to hurry.

Tickets are $15 each. We entered a lobby and waited for out tour to begin (they start every 15 minutes). We would be the last tour of the evening. When it was our time to start, we headed into the Coca-Cola Loft where we met our tour guides. The room was full of memorabilia through the years and all over the world.

We learned that in 1886 John Pemberton invented Coca-Cola just a few blocks from where the World of Coca-Cola stands today. That small soda fountain grew into a product distributed into 8 countries. Pemberton sold the rights to bottle the beverage for $1.00 to Benjamin F. Thomas and Joseph B. Whitehead from Chattanooga, TN.

After having a few minutes to look around, we headed into the next room which was the Happiness Factory Theater.” We watched a short cartoon about what makes Coke so special.

From there, we were turned lose to wander the museum at our leisure. It is spread out on two floors and covers pop culture as well as the philanthropy Coca-Cola participates in.

First, we took pictures of the Coca-Cola bear. He was the most realistic mascot I had ever seen with blinking eyes and a moveable jaw. He was a real hit with the kids!

Next to the Polar Bear was an area called “Coca-Cola Connections.” It was a wall dedicated to how Coca-Cola helps people all over the world. Their projects included medical care, camps for underprivileged children, mentoring programs, and college programs (among others).

From there, we went to a gallery called “Milestones of Refreshment.” As we walked through the exhibit, we saw how Coca-Cola was invented and how the drink’s popularity spread across the world. We saw how the bottle changed shape over time before it found it’s distinctive shape (We learned it was the second trademarked physical shape). I did not realize how strong a relationship Coca-Cola had with different sports. From basketball to the Olympics, Coca-Cola made it’s presence known.

Not only was this place a Coca-Cola museum, they have a small bottling plant on site. Motion activated screens walk you through the miniature bottling plant that produces the classic 8 ounce Coca-Cola bottles. I am still wondering how I can get a job assisting with quality control! Haha!!

We headed upstairs to check out the last few rooms. The museum has a 4-D theater and plays a show called “In Search of the Secret Formula.” The premise is, we follow an eccentric scientist and his assistant on their quest to uncover the secret formula of Coca-Cola. The show was fun with 3-D effects, moving seats, water and air jets. We laughed all the way through and both agreed it was the best show of it’s type we had seen.

Due to time restraints, we did not spend time at “Pop Culture Gallery.” We glanced inside and saw it was a collection of Coca-Cola commercials through the years. In my opinion, not many Christmas commercials beat the baby polar bears!

Our last stop was our favorite. It goes by the name “Taste It.” And that is just what it is. Five fountain drink stations are set up around the room and reprsesent more than 60 different flavors of Coca-Cola products from around the world. Some of them are really good (some of the Fanta products come to mind) while others had us grimacing and pouring the remainder of our tasting sample out. Worst for us—the infamous Beverly! What does it taste like? Hard to describe, but imagine something like club soda with a very bitter bite to it. You don’t notice it as soon as you taste it, but your taste buds really take notice when you swallow. We had read it has grapefruit rind in it and it really isn’t a drink. It is marketed in Italy as a palette cleanser before you eat your meal.

After making our rounds of all the drink stations, we collected our collector’s bottle of Coke (It comes with your tour admission and is one of the 8 ounce bottles produced at the World of Coke) and made our way to the gift store.

I never saw that much Coca-Cola memorabilia in my life! In addition to art prints, glassware, and personalized bottles, they had products made from recycled Coca-Cola bottles and scented t-shirts (good for a few washings). We purchased a Christmas ornament, magnet, and a postcard then made our way out with just a few minutes before closing.

The World of Coke was a real surprise. One never really knows how deep a brand runs in pop culture until you are face to face with all the ways that it has touched our lives. Much like the commercial said, “I’d like to buy the whole world a Coke!”

I believe you mean Coke is distributed in 80 countries, not 8! :)

And "pop culture."

Tee Hee.

I love it.

Terpy, no fan of Beverly....(and I take it Pepsi was not on tap anywhere! An interesting aside...at one time Coke had an opportunity to buy out the then nearly bankrupt Pepsi...and passed...thinking it would never amount to anything!)

LOL- I didn't catch my own pun.

The 8 I had listed in the original post was for the 8 countries it spread to shortly after it was invented at the turn of the 20th century. I did not follow up with the statistic that Coca-Cola brands are enjoyed in more than 200 countries now. They had a photo of people bringing in Coke by elephant!

I feared for my life if I asked for a Pepsi anywhere in that town....

• 2 weeks later...

I`d really like to go to the World of Coke! My room is somewhat themed to Coca-Cola. I even have a Coca-Cola train that encircles my room. (See below).

In addition, both Coca-Cola and Coney Island were both founded in the same year (1886). And, incidentally, Coney used to serve Coca-Cola, as one of the early partners in the ownership was in control of the Coca-Cola bottling franchise in the Cincinnati area. Today, Coney is a Pepsi based park.

misc_2.jpg

I went to Atlanta for the first time this year (that is, when not in an airport) and my brother took me to the World of Coke. I agree, the Beverly was disgusting. I do remember trying another drink that was just as bad. After trying some of the drinks from other countries I had to hit the U.S. stand just to rinse my mouth with some root beer.

I saw one kid going around and getting a little dab of every drink from every continent in one cup. I'm assuming he mutated into a giant freak-beast once he took a drink but we bolted before we could witness the results.