The Best Coaster you've ever ridden? TOP 5

KI FANATIC 37

It has been over a year since I first answered this and things my list has changed considerably since then.

As you can see in my signature Bizarro at SFNE is by far my favorite coaster. It is near perfection.

So my current list goes like this

Wood

1 Voyage HW

2 El Toro SFGAdv

3 Prowler

4 Ravine Flyer II

5 Cyclone SFNE

Honorable mention to Thunderhead DW, Thunderbolt KW, Evel Knievel SFStl & Lightning Racer HP.

Steel

1 Bizarro SFNE

2 Millennium Force CP

3 Maverick CP

4 Diamondback KI / Intimidator CarW

5 Raptor CP

Honorable mention to Nitro SFGAdv, Mindbender SFOG, Goliath SFOG, Goliath La Ronde, Behemoth CanW, Afterburn CarW, Magnum XL200 CP & Fahrenheit HP.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millennium, I have never been able to see what so many find so endearing about Phonix. I have ridden it on 4 seperate visits to Knoebels and for me it only has a few pops of air but nothing more then Racer does. Can you explain what makes it good enough to put into your top 5?

I am not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand what all the fuss that this coaster gets.

Guest Millennium

It gave me the most airtime of any coaster I've ever ridden, I loved the tunnel and the views of the mountains. It was much better than Twister imo.

It gave me the most airtime of any coaster I've ever ridden, I loved the tunnel and the views of the mountains. It was much better than Twister imo.

Good enough.

It must be the difference in our weight or size. As I stated, I got a few pops of gentle air. Nothing like I got on Cyclone at SFNE in the back row, that ride had the strongest air I have ever experienced on a woodie including El Toro and Voyage.

Top 5 Steel

1. Bizarro, Six Flags New England

2. Diamondback, Kings Island

3. Millennium Force, Cedar Point

4. Afterburn, Carowinds

5. Behemoth, Canada's Wonderland

Honorable Mention: Maverick Cedar Point, Goliath Six Flags Over Georgia, Goliath La Ronde

Top 5 Wood

1. The Voyage

2. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure

3. Lightning Racer, Hershey Park

4. Shivering Timbers

5. The Raven

Honorable Mention: Thunderbolt Kennywood, The Beast Kings Island, The Racer Kings Island

Top 5 Steel

4. Afterburn, Carowinds

Honorable Mention: Maverick Cedar Point, Goliath Six Flags Over Georgia, Goliath La Ronde

Top 5 Wood

1. The Voyage

4. Shivering Timbers

5. The Raven

Honorable Mention: Thunderbolt Kennywood, The Beast Kings Island, The Racer Kings Island

I do like Afterburn alot, but I was expecting much better. I rate Montu and Patriot above it. And I'm so glad you love Shivering Timbers! It is probably one of the most under-rated coasters ever...

Top 5 Steel

4. Afterburn, Carowinds

Top 5 Wood

1. The Voyage

4. Shivering Timbers

5. The Raven

I do like Afterburn alot, but I was expecting much better. I rate Montu and Patriot above it. And I'm so glad you love Shivering Timbers! It is probably one of the most under-rated coasters ever...

I've never ridden Montu. When we rode Shivering Timbers in the morning it was just meh, but in the afternoon it gets so much better and has a ton of air.

Guest Millennium

Talon was a very fun invert. That is my 2nd favorite behind DDF.

Top 5 Steel

4. Afterburn, Carowinds

Top 5 Wood

1. The Voyage

4. Shivering Timbers

5. The Raven

I feel a little guilty...I didn't love Montu as everyone else does! It is fun but makes me really dizzy. I can't ride it more than 2x an hour..

Wood and Steel

1. Maverick

2. Everything else

*Lifetime Hall of Fame Separate Category Forever:

Volcano: The Blast Coaster....the ride that simply will not take no for an answer...

Isn't there a disclaimer about the front seat and only the front seat required for Maverick? :D

I feel a little guilty...I didn't love Montu as everyone else does! It is fun but makes me really dizzy. I can't ride it more than 2x an hour..

We all like what we like - and who knows, next time you go back your opinion may change.

My top 5's:

• Diamondback, Montu, Silver Bullet, Millenium Force, Wildfire/Maverick (yes I'm cheating)
  • Voyage, Thunderhead, Beast (sentimental reasons included), Raven, Racer

Updated List:

Steel

1. Dominator

2. Intimidator 305

3. Maverick

4. Top Thrill Dragster

5. Millennium Force

Wood

1. The Voyage

2. Thunderhead

3. The Legend

4. The Beast

5. Son of Beast

Tom I as just at KD for 2 days this week and Rode I305 no difference on the Trims on the first Drop. It picks the speed right back up and it rides just like it did when we went opening day. BTW Stayed on Dominator 10 times with out gettign off on Monday the park was dead the last hour it was open LOL. Oh i rode Shockwave for you to.

Wood:

1. Voyage

2. The Beast

3. Thunderhead

4. Legend

5. Giant Dipper (Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk)

Steel:

1. Diamondback

2. Millennium Force

3. Magnum

4. Mystery Mine

5. Hurricane (Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk)

I know my #4 & #5 Steels might catch some people off guard. I fell in love with the themeing and fun elements of Mystery Mine when I rode it in November. Hurricane is a small little coaster, but it had an element that completely caught me by surprise. A wicked little turn & drop that you can see in this picture and this picture that is unlike anything I've experienced on any other coaster. It may not look like much in the pictures, but that is one intense turn & drop when you ride it. I thought I was only going to ride Hurricane one time and be done with it, but that one element alone made me ride it several times, and was one of the many factors that made us stay at SCBB a lot longer than we had planned (not to mention Mrs. Gator and I both fell in love with that little park!). Both of these coasters just show that to me, a coaster doesn't have to be the biggest or fastest to be one of the best.

Having only been to KI...

#1-The Beast (At Night. Drops to #3 during daytime though.)

#2-Diamondback (#1 during daytime)

#3-Flight of Fear

#4-Red Racer

#5-Vortex

Now, I am pretty sure most of these except Beast & DB will fall out as I head for other parks.

I will probably update you then.

UPDATED: August 2010

#1-Voyage @ Holiday World

MASS. EJECTOR. AIR. INTO. TUNNEL!!!laugh.gif

#2-Legend @ Holiday World

It has very strong airtime, VERY strong laterals, numerous head-choppers, is well themed, and goes under some waterslides to boot. (If only not for Mass Ejector Air Into Tunnel...)

#3-Beast @ Kings Island

A very unique, high-speed ride through the woods with the best finale I have yet to encounter on a ride.

#4-Raven @ Holiday World

A airtime and lateral g-filled race through the woods. Would have been #3 if it were 10 seconds longer.

#5-Diamondback @ Kings Island

Airtime, Airtime, Airtime + Huge Drop= FUN. But a little uninspired in my opinion, which is why it is only #4.

#6-Flight of Fear @ Kings Island

Flying around not knowing which was is up in total darkness is simply amazing. Though getting beaten up by it isn't good (go back and read my Kings Island 5/16/2010 trip report for details...)

#7-Vortex @ Kings Island

First Ride: Meh, fun but I sat in the back of a car and was cramped up.

Second: Much better, very intense.

Third: 5-1. Bliss.

#8-Firehawk @ Kings Island

A very intense and thrilling flying coaster.

#9-Red Racer @ Kings Island

A classic woodie with lots of airtime. Red>Blue because it gives a bit more air and is smoother.

#10-Flight Deck @ Kings Island

Flying at poles at 50+ mph...whee!

Updated List:

Steel

1. Dominator

2. Intimidator 305

3. Maverick

4. Top Thrill Dragster

5. Millennium Force

Wood

1. The Voyage

2. Thunderhead

3. The Legend

4. The Beast

5. Son of Beast

Tom I as just at KD for 2 days this week and Rode I305 no difference on the Trims on the first Drop. It picks the speed right back up and it rides just like it did when we went opening day. BTW Stayed on Dominator 10 times with out gettign off on Monday the park was dead the last hour it was open LOL. Oh i rode Shockwave for you to.

One word - JEALOUS! You rode my two favorite steel coasters AND rode a TOGO stand-up that was closed on KD Opening Day that I couldn't wait to ride. Just wondering, do they trim Hurler at the bottom of its first drop? I remember the one at Carowinds having that trim off.

Updated List:

Steel

1. Dominator

2. Intimidator 305

3. Maverick

4. Top Thrill Dragster

5. Millennium Force

Wood

1. The Voyage

2. Thunderhead

3. The Legend

4. The Beast

5. Son of Beast

One word - JEALOUS! You rode my two favorite steel coasters AND rode a TOGO stand-up that was closed on KD Opening Day that I couldn't wait to ride. Just wondering, do they trim Hurler at the bottom of its first drop? I remember the one at Carowinds having that trim off.

Tom, IMO you didn't miss anything with Shockwave being closed haha.

Tom, IMO you didn't miss anything with Shockwave being closed haha.

Kevin, it was a TOGO stand-up that got me to like coasters in King Cobra. I've heard bad things about the ride like it being more than a tad bit rough. Unless it's EXTREME roughness I really don't mind it. I like rides like Georgia Cyclone, Son of Beast, and Invertigo, so unless it's as rough as rides like Dahlonega Mine Train and Mean Streak were to me then I'll more than likely be alright. Was it the restraints you didn't like?