Chicago PTR

JAHill

Ah. Such wonderful architecture in the Windy City. Not a fan of the new name for the Sear Tower. But I like the new skydeck feature for the bundled tube structure. Sorry for the architecture terminology.

Did you visit the Billy Goat Tavern? That is a must eat place (made famous by the SNL skit). Just don`t ask for fries or anything other than a "cheesborger."

Guest rcfreak339

I love Chicago it's such a beautiful city...Were there any crazy White Sox fans running around? The pitcher threw a perfect game and I bet that the city was alive!

Ah. Such wonderful architecture in the Windy City. Not a fan of the new name for the Sear Tower. But I like the new skydeck feature for the bundled tube structure. Sorry for the architecture terminology.

Did you visit the Billy Goat Tavern? That is a must eat place (made famous by the SNL skit). Just don`t ask for fries or anything other than a "cheesborger."

Legend has it that (Sears) Tower architect Bruce Graham of SOM got the bundled tube idea by putting nine cigarettes together. I also heard that the lower-height tubes could also be extended in height should Sears need it. Of course, Sears bailed for the suburbs after 15 years.

I liked "The Real Sears Tower" pic. Not only older, but Sears actually still has a presence there. There's also another "Sears Tower" in the city where Sears was once headquartered. Most of it was a warehouse-type building that has since been demolished, but the tower section remains.

Oh, and I can't recommend Billy Goat Tavern enough. Make sure to visit the original, which is located on the lower street level near Tribune Tower off Michigan Ave. DON'T order a Pepsi here!

Guest rcfreak339

Legend has it that (Sears) Tower architect Bruce Graham of SOM got the bundled tube idea by putting nine cigarettes together. I also heard that the lower-height tubes could also be extended in height should Sears need it. Of course, Sears bailed for the suburbs after 15 years.

I liked "The Real Sears Tower" pic. Not only older, but Sears actually still has a presence there. There's also another "Sears Tower" in the city where Sears was once headquartered. Most of it was a warehouse-type building that has since been demolished, but the tower section remains.

Oh, and I can't recommend Billy Goat Tavern enough. Make sure to visit the original, which is located on the lower street level near Tribune Tower off Michigan Ave. DON'T order a Pepsi here!

The legend about Bruce and the bundled cigarettes isn't a legend it's a fact. They show a film before you go up to the SkyDeck and they had all the info you could find....I really didn't like Billy Goats on the Pier and I wouldn't recommend it but next time I go to Chicago I'll check out the original... Definitely eat at Gino's East pizza though.

Nice PTR.....thanks for sharing with us.

I've only been to Chicago once and that was about 10 years ago. My Grandfather took me to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field shortly before he passed.

I didn't get to experience anything else that the Chicagoland area has to offer. I'll have to get back up there and check it out.

And I think they should have kept Sears Tower instead of renaming it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Ginos is pretty sub par, in my opinion and I've been to Chicago more times than I care to count. The Orig Unos or Dues, while touristy, is still pretty good..The Unos you see franchised all over and the Unos in Chicago are vastly different. If you want a quick bite, try Foodlife in Water Tower Place..kind of a food court on steriods.

1. The Ledge actually extends and retracts from the side of the building.

2. Yes, one is cracked at the moment.

3. I'm not a fan of the deep dish, but Lou Malnati's is my fav.

4. Great pictures! Hope you had/are having a great trip

I always look forward to your trip reports, incredible photos and hilarious captions.

And I am glad to know I am not the only one who really doesn't care for what Chicago calls "hot dogs." Yeah, right.

Hey! Our hot dogs are just fine. I do like Skyline's but us "crazy White Sox fans" love our Vienna Beef! Speaking of which, what you should have gotten while you were here that I've just learned (from my daughter who just graduated from U.C.) is hard or impossible to find in Cincinnati is a good Italian beef sandwich! At least you had Giordano's!

I really, really enjoyed your photos!!! This from someone who sees these places all the time. (Except that ledge on the Sears...er, Willis...Tower - no way!) Very interesting and well done!