Indiana Beach 7/27 PTR

DaveStroem

After a full day at SFGAm on Sunday we headed out Monday morning to Indiana Beach in Monticello, In. Luckily they don't open till later as we spent the first 1 1/2 just getting out of Chicago.

IMG_8070.jpg

IMG_8626.jpg

Indiana Beach is on Lake Shafer that was formed when they built a dam on the Tippecanoe river. The park itself is on a peninsula that extends into the lake. Due to this, the park is very tight with many things built on top of each other or even over the water. We parked in the South lot and after spending 10 minutes waiting in line we were able to purchase our wristbands. I showed my CoasterBuzz membership card and got 50% off the POP price of $29.95. They also have other offers on their website http://www.indianabeach.com/files/1906-PR-INBC_Gas.pdf

When you enter from the South Lot, you head down the hill for a view of Coaster Nirvana.

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8620.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

The first coaster that we came to was The Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain. This is a strange little wood coaster that has the tightest curves I have ever seen on a woodie. The line for this was only about a dozen people but still took forever. They only run one train of 2 cars that hold 4 people each facing each other. After you get in the train, you go up an elevator before you ride down this wooden "mouse".

IMG_8100.jpg

IMG_8403.jpg

IMG_8110.jpg

IMG_8457.jpg

Next up was Tig'er. This was an odd little coaster that looks kind of like a big kiddie coaster but packs a much bigger punch. Again this was a slow loader with only 2 cars that held between 2 & 4 people each. This park could use a good graphic designer to update the signage. This was the only thing we found with the name of the ride on it.

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8140.jpg

After Tig'er we walked across the way to Cornball Express. This Coaster is on a lot of folks top ten woodies list & I understand why. So after climbing the 3 flights of stairs to the load station we were off for some air filled goodness.

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8509.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

Since we were on this side of the park we headed over to the Air Crows. This is IB's name for the flying eagles. The one here has to be the coolest location for an eagles ride. It is built on a platform over the lake. When you get going you are completely over the water.

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

A short distance away was the entrance to the Hoosier Hurricane. After we climbed the stairs to get to the load station in the sky we got on the next train. This is the coaster that runs from one end of the peninsula to the other. The bottom of the first hill is actually over the water. What a cool view. This ride had moments of air and was quite bit smoother then I expected it to be.

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8370.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

Next up was Steel Hawg. IB claims this to be Indiana's first major steel coaster. While the ride was interesting, I did not find it trilling in anyway.

IMG_8257.jpg

IMG_8242.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

We decided to get our last credit in before doing more flats & rerides. So on to Galaxi. If you didn't look for this one you could have easily missed it since it is surrounded by water slides. This reminded me of wildcat at CP with it's 2 car trains.

IMG_8313.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

It was time for a break so we boarded the Shafer Queen for a short spin around the lake.

IMG_8622.jpg

IMG_8346.jpg

IMG_8348.jpg

IMG_8350.jpg

IMG_8362.jpg

After we got off boat I was getting a bit of an upset stomach from the flying bobs (10 minute cycle with half of it going backwards) followed by the boat ride so we headed back to the car so I could get some decent water and a break from the noise of the park.

When we got back we got on the Giant Wheel which gave a decent aerial view of the park. Unlike most Ferris wheels this one moved quickly and before you knew it your ride was over.

IMG_8399.jpg

Since I was now feeling fine we took a spin on the water swings. Like the Air Crows, this was built over the lake for a very different feel. We even got my wife to ride this while I shot photos of them and then we switched.

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_8414.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

After this we walked to the other end of the park re-riding as we went to get to the Double Shot as my non-riding wife said she would do this one.

IMG_8339.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

IMG_8492.jpg

IMG_8501.jpg

There was a water show starting in a few minutes so my wife and Katy went to see this and Elizabeth & I went to Dr. Frankenstein's Haunted Castle. This was voted as the #1 walk through of 2008 earning it a Golden Ticket award. The attraction was not included in the POP price so we shelled out the $4 per person. It was a lot of fun and quite long. I loved the room of doors. It actually made Elizabeth scream several times.

IMG_8515.jpg

We had a great day at this quaint little park in the middle of nowhere. While both the major coasters were only running 1 train, we never had to wait for more then that train to make its lap.

Ride count

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain 1

Tig'er 1

Cornball Express 5

Hoosier Hurricane 4

Steel Hawg 2

Galaxi 1

Air Crows 2

Water Swing 1

Giant Wheel 1

Flying Bobs 1

Tilt-a-whirl 1

Double Shot 1

Shafer Queen 1

Ah, yes, Indiana Beach. One of my favorite parks under the old ownership...and you had nothing negative to say about it! :) The Sky Room was always awesome, too. I hope it has stayed that way. And Indiana Beach always had some of the nicest merchandise I have even seen in a park, both high in quality and very varied, with reasonable prices!

Glad you all had fun!

Indiana Beach has the best atmosphere of any park that I have been two. I really enjoy all the coasters, even though they don't pack the biggest punch. They have a great variety of flats, and a lot of good food. I also really enjoy the games Fascination and 21 they have. The park is just great all around in my opinion. Great pictures and trip report by the way!

Indiana Beach has the best atmosphere of any park that I have been two. I really enjoy all the coasters, even though they don't pack the biggest punch. They have a great variety of flats, and a lot of good food. I also really enjoy the games Fascination and 21 they have. The park is just great all around in my opinion. Great pictures and trip report by the way!

You like Tiggr? LAME!

YA BURNT!

Galaxi is actually the same thing as Bavarian Beetle, if you didn't know that.

Hmm... thats cool. My mom rode Bavarian Beetle in the late '70's with her sister (My aunt). She said they were so scared that they crawled out of their seats and layed on the floor for most of the ride. I'm not sure if this is true, or if it was even possible, but it was kind of funny, knowing that the ride was only like 25 feet tall.

But very nice report! I must go there sometime! All those rides look very fun!

Galaxi is actually the same thing as Bavarian Beetle, if you didn't know that.

Hmm... thats cool. My mom rode Bavarian Beetle in the late '70's with her sister (My aunt). She said they were so scared that they crawled out of their seats and layed on the floor for most of the ride. I'm not sure if this is true, or if it was even possible, but it was kind of funny, knowing that the ride was only like 25 feet tall.

But very nice report! I must go there sometime! All those rides look very fun!

What people expect now compared to then is quite different. I have heard stories of Racer making people ill on a regular basis. Now it is considered to be a beginner ride to take young up and coming coaster kids on.

What people expect now compared to then is quite different. I have heard stories of Racer making people ill on a regular basis. Now it is considered to be a beginner ride to take young up and coming coaster kids on.

With all due respect, The Racer ride experience in 1972 was far different from that of today. No trim brakes. Another camelback hill, since removed. Flip down bars, not individually ratcheting restraints. No seat dividers. No head rests. Manually operated skid brakes. And, most of all, soft, cushy trains.

I doubt that. I sincerely do. There were many intense fair and carnival rides back then that would never be allowed to operate today. Whips ran far faster than they do now. Even Ferris Wheels did. Roller coasters were far more severe...not the steel ones, but the wood.

I don't think you give oldsters enough credit. Many things have been tamed since back then.

Another great TR. When I was recently up in Ohio I pleaded, pleaded, and pleaded some more to my mom to go to IB. It looks like such a great park and from the reviews I hear I know it is. One day I will get there but until then I must rely on pictures from folks like you.

You should've also checked out Pirates Den, that this is cool!

Jo, it was closed with thick cobwebs all over the cars. Didn't look like it had been open this season.

If you are talking about the now called “Den of Lost Thieves” I rode it on June 18th of this year, so it was/did operate this year. Hum! wonder why it was down. Link to TR on that trip.