What Happened to Rivertown Junction?

BoddaH1994

It's now often that I get pleasantly surprised, but here it goes...

I was at the park yesterday and we decided to eat at Rivertown Junction. I was kind of apathetic to the idea since my attitude toward the place was a "take it or leave it" one.

Upon entering the building, the cashier asked me for my season pass. Thinking it was kind of strange, I gave it to her. The buffet, which was normally $16.99 rang up as $14.44 which is a savings of 15%. Apparently that's a running deal for season pass and platinum pass holders.

Walking into the place, everything was different -- the food, the people and the look.

At the beginning of the year, many of the room dividers were removed which gave it an open-air feel to it. This was certainly a step in the right direction but it was lacking a lot of personality. Since then, a lot of photographs, art work and plant shrubbery has been added to the building to give it a much "hommier" feel. I do want to apologize for the photos in this post, they were taken verbatim with my cell phone.

img00034200907281907.jpg

Right after opening day, I recall Avatar making a post about Rivertown Junction. He said what a lot of us were thinking -- that the changes to the building were nice, but ultimately it was just the same old song and dance that Wings offered. I spoke to a foods department associate to complement their great work with the restaurant and he told me that they recognized that big changes needed to be made and they began to implement them right after the 4th of July.

img00036200907281908.jpg

Inside you will find a much bigger selection of food. Everything from the LaRosa's pasta to a salad bar, to a taco bar, to fruits and vegetables to carved beef that is carved right in front of you. The associates were very adamant about replacing food that had been sitting too long and keeping the assortment available to the guests. Believe it or not, it was actually one of the best kept buffets I had ever eaten.

Look in the middle of the photo above. Are those plates? One of the biggest complaints I had heard on KIC about Rivertown Junction was the less-than-user-friendly use of Styrofoam plates and plastic utensils. Gone are the days of breaking your plastic fork in your mashed potatoes as they have been replaced by ceramic plates and silverware.

It doesn't stop there. Remember the dessert "buffet"? You know - your choice of a piece of cake that was clearly prefabbed and out of a box or those little cups of ice cream? Those days seem to be gone too.

img00035200907281908.jpg

The desert options are very plentiful now and very delicious. Just from memory, I remember there being about three types of cookies, carrot cake, some sort of classic wedding cake-style cake, chocolate pie, brownies, rice crispy treats and even a full ice cream Sunday bar that had about a dozen flavors of Edy's ice cream available.

Had I eaten at this restaurant even outside of the park, I would not have objected to the $14.44 that I paid with the season pass discount. Even if you have lost faith in the foods at Kings Island, I definitely encourage you to give this one another chance. You get an excellent value for your dollar and, in this reporter's humble opinion, some of the best food that I've ever eaten at a park.

Yes, I was there last Thursday and like the new changes as well, although I had not noticed the decor changes. There was a group of KICers and we were talking. I also get distracted by seeing DB out the window.

EDIT: I also noticed the wait staff were very quick at cleaning up tables and keeping it clean. Great job RJ crew!

• Like 1

I ate there one of my days for lunch/dinner on my recent trip to KI and it was a very good deal! While I didn't know about the season pass discount I even thought that the $16.99 price was well worth it for all you get at the buffet. I got popcorn shrimp, fajita chicken, pasta, lots of vegetables, quality dessert, and as many refills of soda I could get (even though I mainly got water). I ate all of this great food while watching Diamondback roar through the splashdown. It was the best place I ate during my whole trip to Ohio.

I have only eaten there once, and that was during Haunt. So of course it was alot different for me. I remember some of the food being really good, and some being nasty. I'm not the person who eats in the park usually (And if I do it's LaRosas or Skyline) but I might give Rivertown Junction another try.

• Like 1

My family of 5 ate there during our visit a few weeks back. Total price = $52.00. Not bad at all. The taco bar was a huge hit with the kids. We tried a little of everything. It was all very good. This and Outer Hanks are our go-to places to eat now. Not only did my kids get salads (which they LOVE), they also had every food they love, plus cake and ice cream. can't beat that at all.

The workers are all very nice and cleared our table for us as soon as we set a plate aside.

Maybe we should keep quiet about the place. Don't want it crowded ;)

• Like 1

Oh, that looks so good right now. It's one in the morning and I haven't eaten since eleven! Thats two whole hours! This "Growing boy" is starving!

But yes, I will diffenatly check that out next week... or the next. Whenever I go. My dad never let me eat there because he said it was a waste of time and money. And then, of course, we go over to BB and buy Chicken Tenders and Waffle Fries for $9. Such a rip-off.

• Like 1

Wow, sounds like I may have to give RJ a shot. I ate there last year and it was just okay, but this seems like it's gotten a lot better. I had a rare meal in the park this past Sunday (ham and barbecue panini from Midway Treats & Eats) which was not very good, so hopefully Food Service is turning itself around one food stand at a time!

First you say "Arrow is a crap company". And now your saying, "All the food at KI sucks in my opinion.".

Are you just trying to give KI crap or somthing? At least they HAVE food! You should be grateful you have food offered to you at almost every exit off of a highway for that matter.

Give me a break.

First you say "Arrow is a crap company". And now your saying, "All the food at KI sucks in my opinion.".

Are you just trying to give KI crap or somthing? At least they HAVE food! You should be grateful you have food offered to you at almost every exit off of a highway for that matter.

Give me a break.

I have high quality taste, what can I say! ;) Don't get so fussy over someone else's opinion. You don't have to agree. I like KI and thats why I'm posting on a forum about it. I'm just saying the food sucks in my opinion. I don't like greasy buffet food, which is what KI has

And, I was trying to make a joke by calling it a crap company. I hate Lochness Monster so when everyone got all fancy with me (giving me stats about Arrow coasters). I made a joke. Simple as that.

I'll give ya this -- I LIKED Outer Hanks till they changed their menu. And Chick Fil A. Nuff said!

the dicount is pretty good, and the changes seem very nice. haah the last time I went in there, it was still Wings. But, now that i know about this , i may think about eating there next time i am at ki for the day.

RJ has a season pass discount? The site could use an update...

http://www.pki.com/events/events.cfm?ec_id=27

Well, maybe you should update what website you use since the official website is visitkingsisland.com :lol: . But yeah, they do need to update the webpage: http://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/events.cfm?ec_id=27.

I know Ryan said there was "everything from the LaRosa's pasta to a salad bar, to a taco bar, to fruits and vegetables to carved beef that is carved right in front of you," and then went into detail about the desserts. But, what specific 'main' food do they have? Someone said meatloaf, everything for tacos, but what else? Before I spend $15 for it, I want to know what I'm getting since I'm a picky eater :lol: .

For those of you who have eaten at the Backyard BBQ, how was the food? Really good, average KI food, bad? Also, what kind of "ice cream treats" do they have?

Thanks in advance! :)

Give me a break.

I have high quality taste, what can I say! ;) Don't get so fussy over someone else's opinion. You don't have to agree. I like KI and thats why I'm posting on a forum about it. I'm just saying the food sucks in my opinion. I don't like greasy buffet food, which is what KI has

And, I was trying to make a joke by calling it a crap company. I hate Lochness Monster so when everyone got all fancy with me (giving me stats about Arrow coasters). I made a joke. Simple as that.

I'll give ya this -- I LIKED Outer Hanks till they changed their menu. And Chick Fil A. Nuff said!

KI Dosen't have "greasy buffet food". They actually have a lot to offer. Including Skyline, Larosas, and Montgomery Inn. Not to mention those AWESOME Rivertown Fries! And what if I called your favorite company on here a crap company? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be to happy about that either. BTW we have a Chick Fil A.

Give me a break.

KI Dosen't have "greasy buffet food". They actually have a lot to offer. Including Skyline, Larosas, and Montgomery Inn. Not to mention those AWESOME Rivertown Fries! And what if I called your favorite company on here a crap company? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be to happy about that either. BTW we have a Chick Fil A.

"You need to drink some funny juice" -- Tracy Morgan

I like Arrow btw. I just don't like some of their roller coasters. Like any company.

Give me a break.

Where is Montgomery Inn sold in the park?

Edit: Thanks for the pictures, TOPGUN1993. My mom was wanting to do the Backyard BBQ sometime, but I will try to convince her to go to Rivertown Junction instead. Although, the price is a little high even with the pass IMO.

Ok. The buffet is NOT greasy. And it doesn't taste bad.

I'm going to go from memory here and name what I can.

Full salad bar. Everything you want, toppings, etc. Salad bar even has jello and pudding, plus some fruit.

On to the hot bar.

Taco meat, taco chips (round), taco bowls (you know, the big puffy yummy bowl), sour cream, nacho cheese, mild sauce, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grilled chicken strips.

Spaghetti noodles, sauce (meat and meatless, I THINK), garlic bread?

Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, corn, carrots, meatloaf, mac & cheese, hamburger patties, buns, mayo, mustard, cheese slices, ketchup, potato wedges, shrimp, pulled pork for sandwiches, roast beef??

There may be more hot foods, but it's been a few weeks, so I may have forgotten something.

Dessert:

Chocolate chip cookies, hand dipped ice cream (several flavors) toppings area with cherries, peanuts, chocolate sauce, caramel, sprinkles, chocolate chips. White cake with white frosting, carrot cake...maybe brownies?

And of course all the pop/water you care to drink.

Ok. The buffet is NOT greasy. And it doesn't taste bad.

I'm going to go from memory here and name what I can.

Full salad bar. Everything you want, toppings, etc. Salad bar even has jello and pudding, plus some fruit.

On to the hot bar.

Taco meat, taco chips (round), taco bowls (you know, the big puffy yummy bowl), sour cream, nacho cheese, mild sauce, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grilled chicken strips.

Spaghetti noodles, sauce (meat and meatless, I THINK), garlic bread?

Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, corn, carrots, meatloaf, mac & cheese, hamburger patties, buns, mayo, mustard, cheese slices, ketchup, potato wedges, shrimp, pulled pork for sandwiches, roast beef??

There may be more hot foods, but it's been a few weeks, so I may have forgotten something.

Dessert:

Chocolate chip cookies, hand dipped ice cream (several flavors) toppings area with cherries, peanuts, chocolate sauce, caramel, sprinkles, chocolate chips. White cake with white frosting, carrot cake...maybe brownies?

And of course all the pop/water you care to drink.

Ok. Well I disagree obviously, but I don't want to get into a flame war. So lets agree to disagree. :P