Ohio Trip 2009 July 15-27 + Multi day trip report

dragsterfan420

Well to start off, basically every summer I go up to the King's Island area of Ohio (Mason/West Chester) to visit family and basically just have a little vacation from Miami. On the 15th of July I headed to MIA(Miami International Airport) at about 10:00am. My plane was suppose to depart at 12:30. After going through all the security nonsense I got to my terminal and waited for a good 30 minutes then we started boarding.

From here on out I'll comment the pictures instead of writing alot.

SIDE NOTE: All pictures are very high res and big and can be given to if desired.

IMG_1166.jpg

Here's the plane that would be taking me to the greater Cincinnati airport. A Delta CRJ-700. You wanna here a stupid flan plan?

First I was to take off at MIA. Then fly to Cincinnati. Stay there for basically an hour and then fly to Dayton's airport. How weird's that? It didn't bother me because that was the cheapest ticket and from either Dayton's or Cincinnati's airport it's the same distance to my cousin's house.

IMG_1167.jpg

Here's what the sky looked like before I left Miami.

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

A shot while taking off.

IMG_1172.jpg

I love taking shots while in the air; especially of storm clouds.

IMG_1212.jpg

Finally, at around 6 o'clock I got into Dayton. I was exhausted but there was still an hour drive to my cousin's house. This is a new tower they're building at the airport. I saw a sign inside that said it would be finished in late fall I think. It looks very interesting.

IMG_1214.jpg

On the way there, their was some very beautiful scenery...

IMG_1215.jpg

...and something that let me know I was getting closer to my target area.

IMG_1217.jpg

Here's where I was staying for the good week and a half while I was up there. The basement portion of my cousin's house. I love it. It's dark, cold, and an entertainment hub. (you'll know what I mean in my next pics)

IMG_1221.jpg

Here's the first t.v. and the mega computer my cousin uses to play all his games(WoW, Counter-Strike:Source, etc).

IMG_1222.jpg

And here's the better side. A huge 65" t.v. with an Xbox 360, PS3, and digital cable. Tons of games/movies. A couch that's very comfortable and a big bean bag type thing.

IMG_1223.jpg

And if that wasn't enough there's a pool table too. Plus more movies in the back of the pic.

IMG_1225.jpg

Finally here's a pic back towards the stairs.

Well after my trip up there I just "chilled" at the house for one day(only have pics of basement, sorry). So on the 16th I went to KI. I know not the best day but it actually wasn't too bad. Those pics will be up tomorrow. Thanks for checking this out. More to come!

Now it's time for the real PTR to start. As I left off in the last post I just "chilled" at the house for the whole night after my flight. The next day (07/16) I woke up around 10:00am and after a while to wake up decided I'd go to KI. I left the house at about 3:40pm and got to the park at 4:00pm. Again, I'll let the pics do the talking.

IMG_1226.jpg

After about 10 minutes of driving I could just visualize the top of Diamondbacks first hill and instantly my adrenaline started pumping. Now their's something you need to know. I live in Miami. In Florida, not Ohio. The closest roller coaster to me is the Dania Beach Hurricane and the closest park is Disney World, Universal, etc. So I do not get to ride coasters alot. I basically have to wait until summer, when I venture up to Ohio, to experience riding a roller coaster again. So that's basically every other 6 months I get to ride a coaster.

IMG_1227.jpg

Still getting closer and closer I could see just how massive DB was. Last time I was in Ohio it was December/January and the only thing standing of DB was the first two hills.

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

Even from the parking lot DB looked so beauteous I had to start taking some pictures.

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

The new sign on the entrance to the park.

After getting these few shots I headed over to the season pass building to get my season pass registered. Since the time was now around 4:10pm no other member of the public was in the building. Thanks to the quick work of the people in there I was in in and out of there in less than five minutes.

IMG_1234.jpg

First off, I had to get the staple King's Island shot.

IMG_1235.jpg

Next, instead of running straight to Diamondback I headed towards Action Zone.

IMG_1236.jpg

Congo Falls; a fairly decent water flume. I remember riding this over and over when I was younger.

IMG_1237.jpg

Sploosh.

IMG_1238.jpg

Where's the boat?

IMG_1239.jpg

Since I was already in close proximity with Invertigo(Face/Off) I decided to try and ride.

IMG_1240.jpg

Even though the park was not crowded the line, in my opinion, was too long too be worth the wait.

IMG_1241.jpg

I heard a few people say "What happened to Face/Off?"

IMG_1242.jpg

Heading over to Top Gun, I mean Flight Deck, I decided to take a picture of this beauty.

IMG_1243.jpg

Yeah, it was pretty empty.

IMG_1244.jpg

I waited around 15 minutes for the back car and got right on.

IMG_1249.jpg

Flight Deck was a great start for coaster riding this summer. In the back I got major airtime going down the first hill and it was extremely forceful through some of the turns. Still one of my favorites in the park.

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

90 degrees(in relation to the ground).

IMG_1255.jpg

I just noticed that photobucket killed the quality of my photo's. Im very disappointed.

IMG_1256.jpg

Drop Tower. My favorite flat ride at the park.

IMG_1257.jpg

After Action Zone I decided to head towards Coney Mall. Of course I had to get on Adventure Express. While strolling through the empty q-line I took some shots of the strongly missed King Cobra.

IMG_1258.jpg

AE is my favorite mine train coaster and believe it or not one of my favorites at KI.

IMG_1259.jpg

As you can see AE was totally packed.

IMG_1261.jpg

After riding I realized I needed a pic of the entrance sign.

IMG_1262.jpg

I then headed to the Eiffel Tower to get some aerial shots. Who says KI needs an Intamin?

IMG_1263.jpg

The Racer looking good; from a few hundred feet away.

IMG_1264.jpg

The back part of Coney Mall.

IMG_1265.jpg

The Vortex and The Beast. Two rides not to be toyed with.

IMG_1266.jpg

And of course the main reason I'm here.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

"Hey I can see my house from here!"

IMG_1270.jpg

Hammerhead. Don't worry it's not the dangerous kind.

IMG_1272.jpg

MCBR

IMG_1273.jpg

Headin' toward the helix.

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

The splashdown is pretty impressive. Even from this far away.

IMG_1277.jpg

Alot of people were unhappy with the different color supports, but seeing DB in person made me appreciate the reasoning behind the two colors.

IMG_1279.jpg

Vortex/Beast

IMG_1281.jpg

Going into the massive helix.

IMG_1283.jpg

Ahhh FestHaus.

IMG_1284.jpg

Poor S.O.B. I wanted to give it some lovin' this trip.

IMG_1285.jpg

International Street

IMG_1286.jpg

And with this final picture of Drop Tower I'm going to leave the rest of the pics from this day for later today.

Right now it's 5:51am, I'm pretty tired, and I'm going to sleep.

Absolutely professional quality photos! Many would make great post cards!

With talent like this, you might well consider investing in a higher resolution camera!

Thanks!

Thanks Terpy. My camera is pretty high res and on my end the pictures look great. The only problem is when I uploaded the pics to photobucket.com the quality died. It really stinks because I spent money on a 4GB SD HC memory stick so I could take the best pics possible. If you like any of the pics I can send you a much better quality one.

With that said, I'll continue with that days PTR.

So after I took a bunch of pics from the Eiffel Tower I headed down the walkway to the left of Backlot Stunt Coaster.

IMG_1262.jpg

Got a quick shot of Vortex before making my way down the path.

IMG_1290.jpg

Then I came up to Diamondback.

IMG_1291.jpg

The splashdown was even more impressive up close. *Check out the guy getting his hand wet. :P

IMG_1292.jpg

Beemer's are one of the best type of coasters to photograph.

IMG_1293.jpg

Going down.

IMG_1294.jpg

They look satisfied.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

One of the better shots of the trip.

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

Going into the splashdown.

IMG_1305.jpg

Man that first drop looks small.

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

One of my favorites.

IMG_1309.jpg

Going towards the hammerhead.

IMG_1310.jpg

MCBR.

IMG_1311.jpg

Weee!

IMG_1312.jpg

Lots of forces.

IMG_1314.jpg

Better shot of the MCBR.

IMG_1316.jpg

Going down.

IMG_1319.jpg

Unique shot #1

IMG_1322.jpg

The only pic I could get of DB while on the train. I went on the train a good 15 times during my whole trip and it was never in the right place at the right time. :P

IMG_1323.jpg

I did get goods pics of the structure though.

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

Train house. The blue train wasn't getting any lovin' today.

All this while I was txting Zach(KI_Man). I told him I was just enjoyin' the park and was going to wait to ride Diamondback at night. He told me that I should get a ride in "now" (6:30 or so) and at night. After I got off the train I headed over there.

IMG_1329.jpg

At this time the sun was going down and was shining straight on Diamondback; making the colors almost ultraviolet.

IMG_1330.jpg

"Are we going to get wet?"

IMG_1331.jpg

After taking this shot of the lift hill I headed into the single rider line. Only because the regular line was fairly long (about a 45 minute wait probably) and I couldn't even see the people in the SRL until I got up to the stairs.

IMG_1332.jpg

Of course I had to take the obligatory shot of all the cameras, phones, etc.

IMG_1334.jpg

While waiting I realized this was a nice opportunity to get some good shots. Like a lift shot.

IMG_1335.jpg

And a nerd shot; a blurry nerd shot.

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

Look at that, their's even airtime going into the breakrun.

IMG_1338.jpg

I'm a ride warrior. Are you?

IMG_1339.jpg

Look how accented the colors are because of the sun.

IMG_1340.jpg

The smooth stopping power of magnetic breaks.

IMG_1342.jpg

Also got a nice shot of the Eiffel Tower.

IMG_1343.jpg

I'm sorry, I just got a lot of these pics.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

"Why's that guy taking a picture of me?"

IMG_1346.jpg

The sun was pretty bright.

IMG_1347.jpg

So what was my opinion of the ride? How did I like it? How was it? I don't know. "What do you mean?" one may ask. Blantanly, I couldn't fit. My thighs are too big and as hard as me and the ride op tried we couldn't get the last click. So in the end I didn't get to ride my most anticipated coaster of the year. I was really bummed and actually pretty sad, but I didn't let that ruin the rest of my day. Next year, whatever it takes I'm going to ride this coaster. Even if I have to chop part of my thighs off.

IMG_1348.jpg

So I made the walk of shame out of the station and down the walkway. Being the first coaster I've ever been "kicked off" of, it wasn't a good experience.

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

Can you see the people holding hands in row 8?

IMG_1352.jpg

Next I decided to take a scenic adventure over at the exit of White Water Canyon. This area of the park is simply beautiful.

IMG_1353.jpg

Unique shot #2

IMG_1354.jpg

Unique shot #3

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

One of my favorites.

IMG_1357.jpg

A year ago I took this same picture, minus Diamondback.

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

Watch out for that tree!

IMG_1360.jpg

Good for a wallpaper?

IMG_1363.jpg

Hammerhead

IMG_1364.jpg

Their's the pic of one of the good 'ol steam trains KI still runs.

IMG_1367.jpg

Hammerhead: The Sequel

IMG_1368.jpg

Had to get some shots of my favorite rapids ride.

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

The darker it gets=worse pictures I take.

IMG_1371.jpg

They were screaming to the people at the cannons, "NO! Please no, don't!"

IMG_1372.jpg

Everyone at the cannons said "Ok." But someone got them at the last minute with the red cannon. Lol.

IMG_1373.jpg

Yet another DB shot.

IMG_1376.jpg

Yup they'll be soaked.

IMG_1378.jpg

Unique shot #4

IMG_1379.jpg

See I told you.

IMG_1380.jpg

They didn't listen.

IMG_1381.jpg

Workin' hard or hardly workin'?

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Lots of water.

IMG_1388.jpg

Another of my favorites.

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

At around 9:00 I headed over to The Beast. What's with the big jump in time you ask? I went to eat at FestHaus. 'Twas a good meal composed of LaRosa's pizza and french fries. Only $10.99 too. On another note, I tried to find a shirt with this "logo" on it but the only one's they have are kid sized. What's up with that?

IMG_1393.jpg

Votex: Best Arrow multi looper out there.

IMG_1394.jpg

Going down. Looking for airtime? Get in the back car, front seat.

IMG_1395.jpg

Loop-de-loop.

IMG_1396.jpg

Yes, some more shots of Diamondback.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

I like these silhouette style shots.

IMG_1400.jpg

Not these blurry crappy ones.

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

I like the flag in the middle there.

IMG_1406.jpg

I love ze Beast.

IMG_1408.jpg

If someone were to stand up at that point, they deserve to die.

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

Comin' back from a semi-dark ride.

After a great ride on The Beast at night, I headed over to the Eiffel Tower for the fireworks show. I never saw it from up there so I thought I'd get it over with early in the trip.

IMG_1416.jpg

Here's The Beast's second lift hill. Anyone riding it now surely is having a dark ride.

IMG_1417.jpg

Beast's first lift and Vortex

IMG_1428.jpg

With the ISO turned basically all the way up everything was a little more clear. It looks like it's not even dark now.

IMG_1431.jpg

Coney Mall area.

IMG_1433.jpg

Backlot Stunt Coaster blowing up.

IMG_1439.jpg

DB Splashdown.

IMG_1443.jpg

Overview of Backlot Stunt Coaster

IMG_1450.jpg

With barely any ISO this is how the pictures look.

IMG_1452.jpg

Only shot I have of the fireworks.

I took a video of the fire works and other videos at night but I accidentally deleted them after thinking I already saved them on my computer. Sorry.

IMG_1453.jpg

International Street looks great at night.

IMG_1455.jpg\

So does Drop Tower.

IMG_1458.jpg

And Delirium.

IMG_1459.jpg

Looks like lava shooting out of the Earth's crust. Thank goodness it's just water.

IMG_1460.jpg

This is my favorite shot taken from the tower this night.

IMG_1463.jpg

One last overview of Action Zone...

IMG_1464.jpg

...The Racer and X-Base...

IMG_1466.jpg

...Coney Mall and, again, The Racer...

IMG_1471.jpg

...the Diamondback area...

IMG_1472.jpg

...and the Diamondback area again.

I end tonight's PTR with two pictures of the International Street fountains.

IMG_1479.jpg

Blue...

IMG_1480.jpg

...and red.

Thanks for reading/looking at the TR. Remember, if you see any picture(s) you like I have much better quality version of that picture(s) and will gladly send you a copy if you want it.

Keep informed, more to come.

Great photos! So sorry you couldn't experience Diamondback though.

It's a shame that Photobucket killed the image quality. You may want to look into Flickr instead. I put all my photos there and they don't seem to kill the image quality at all. In addition, Flickr's interface is much nicer than Photobucket's (which seems old and outdated to me). The only downside is you can't show the original sized image with the free account, but that's not a problem for me. There are other restrictions for the free account as well, but nothing major... See http://www.flickr.com/help/limits#28 for full details.

Found my new desktop, (which I change every other day)

very nice photos and TR.

Thanks.

Me and you like alot of the same rides. Some of which are the ones most people don't. Nice photos, Sucks photobucket does that though... Can't wait for part two.

Thanks.

Those are graet pictures! I really like the Diamondback ones there amazing :)

Thanks. If you like the DB pics that means you like 75% of my pics! :) I took alot.

Oh, man. I am sooo sorry about the Diamondback fit.

Terpy, who has sort of been there...and knows that ain't fun

Yeah, it really wasn't I was moping around for a good hour. Then I didn't care after riding The Beast.

Great photos! So sorry you couldn't experience Diamondback though.

It's a shame that Photobucket killed the image quality. You may want to look into Flickr instead. I put all my photos there and they don't seem to kill the image quality at all. In addition, Flickr's interface is much nicer than Photobucket's (which seems old and outdated to me). The only downside is you can't show the original sized image with the free account, but that's not a problem for me. There are other restrictions for the free account as well, but nothing major... See http://www.flickr.com/help/limits#28 for full details.

Thanks for the comment and thanks for the info about Flickr. I'm now going to join Flickr.

Your pictures are AMAZING! I wish I could take pictures that looked somewhat decent!

Thank you. I'm sure you do take good pictures. It just takes practice like anything else you do.