The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

With so many people on this forum yelling about how rough SOB is and how much it hurts them, isn't it possible that, even though SOB has been apparently cleared of responsibility in the woman's injury, the Powers-that-be at the park are looking into whether some modifications might still be needed? They might be collecting expert opinions on whether or not adjustments need to be made and how to make them.

It could also be possible that KI execs are waiting for a go-ahead on any plans they've made from CF headquarters and CF is more focused on their home park instead of the park four hours away. Thus delaying any decisions just a little longer?

You add enough small delays together and you get one big one.

With so many people on this forum yelling about how rough SOB is and how much it hurts them, isn't it possible that, even though SOB has been apparently cleared of responsibility in the woman's injury, the Powers-that-be at the park are looking into whether some modifications might still be needed? They might be collecting expert opinions on whether or not adjustments need to be made and how to make them.

It could also be possible that KI execs are waiting for a go-ahead on any plans they've made from CF headquarters and CF is more focused on their home park instead of the park four hours away. Thus delaying any decisions just a little longer?

You add enough small delays together and you get one big one.

Yeah, the ball can be in anyone's hands right now and everyone has a small percentage of being right on what the holdup is on the situation. I just hope they figure it out soon, the suspense is getting overwhelming! :huh:

**CAUTION!! THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION! IT IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS FACT!**

While I can see why some people would like to see SoB reopened, I just can't see it being feasible for the park. This latest incident (a). shows CF that the ride will continue to have issues, even with work they've done on it post-2006, and ( b ). brings more attention to the problems that the ride has had, which increases the chances of a class-action suit if something goes wrong again. I understand that many people enjoy SoB, but it's impossible to ignore the problems that it's had and will continue to have.

(oh, and by the way- my avatar is referring to SoB a bit of a flop. Yes, I know that some people take offense to that. You can stop PMing me about it. Thanks! :) )

Guest rcfreak339
**CAUTION!! THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION! IT IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS FACT!**

While I can see why some people would like to see SoB reopened, I just can't see it being feasible for the park. This latest incident (a). shows CF that the ride will continue to have issues, even with work they've done on it post-2006, and ( b ). brings more attention to the problems that the ride has had, which increases the chances of a class-action suit if something goes wrong again. I understand that many people enjoy SoB, but it's impossible to ignore the problems that it's had and will continue to have.

(oh, and by the way- my avatar is referring to SoB a bit of a flop. Yes, I know that some people take offense to that. You can stop PMing me about it. Thanks! :) )

Agreed, Even if you adore SoB you connot afford the rides past and if something like this happens again the park will be sued.

ok. sooooo, im confused. why is The Beast on canada's wonderland's website?? just wondering. This is kinda scaring me. >(

Simple. They have one central database for all the attractions, so you just have to slap the ID of that particular attraction onto the end of the URL and you can get the details for it regardless of what site you're on. If you change the URL to kingsdominion.com, you'll get it there as well.

ok. sooooo, im confused. why is The Beast on canada's wonderland's website?? just wondering. This is kinda scaring me. >(

Simple. They have one central database for all the attractions, so you just have to slap the ID of that particular attraction onto the end of the URL and you can get the details for it regardless of what site you're on. If you change the URL to kingsdominion.com, you'll get it there as well.

Thats a Nice fancy link there that had a few people myself going for a moment.

actually i sent them an email about how it was rediculous that they were lying. now they have changed their saying to what they sent me back.
Son of Beast remains closed at this time. Though I'd like to have an exact date, it would be inappropriate to speculate on when the ride may re-open. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the ride's closure.

Well what is the reason there are giving for it's closure?

Does the park need a reason? No. They will release information when it's needed. I have a reason for you. It is closed right now because an investigation into an incident that allegedly occured on the ride is currently being completed. When this investigation is completed, we will release our findings, and then make a decision as to what will happen to the ride.

I could care less what reason you want to give me. You don't know anything, but the park does. That's why I'm interested in what the park has to say.

So does anyone know the official word the park is saying on this? Doesn't Don come on here? ... Don can we get any word from you?

he wouldnt even talk to the press. the official word as of now is and has been

Son of Beast remains closed at this time. Though I’d like to have an exact date, it would be inappropriate to speculate on when the ride may re-open. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the ride’s closure.

^Official word on WHY it is still closed after the investigation has wrapped up. If the ODA has cleared it as operating with no irregularities, WHY is it still closed. We all know the park is not saying WHEN, but have they said WHY?

in short, no. they did have this to say from the report and on the cincinnati.com article, though...

However, the ride remains closed because park officials have “not decided what steps they plan to take concerning the ride,” according to an investigation summary released Wednesday.

Cedar Fair is in no way obliged to disclose the specifics of their decision making process. They are trying to decide what to do. The ride is closed because of the allegations made by the woman, resulting in another investigation and most likely speculation (by CF) as to the feasability or conditions under which it will reopen.

My wife and I stopped performing music and are constantly asked why by friends and fans. We tell them because we are too busy... Am I also obliged to tell them why we're so busy? NO!

This probably needs to go under the "Guest say the" thread, but relevant here. Had a co-workers kid go to KI this past weekend and saw SOB was closed and asked a few people at the park why. She heard several things like they are removing the loop, people died on it this year and it's closed, and they are tearing it down. The mother called me for she knew I would have accurate info to share about its closure. I believe having this ride down is as bad for the park as much as it being open. People in the park share info as fact as well and have not educated themselves on the correct story. Being a teen from out of town, why not believe a local from the area to know what is going on?

its not that the ride is down, as much as it is that the ride is down and they don't really publicly explain why. They just have a few news reports that most of the general public doesn't even hear about half the time, and wonder why people make up stuff. Its because they have nothing else to believe.

Sorry, but the park is making a HUGE PR mistake by keeping all the details hush hush. Anyone with any experience in PR knows that the best policy a company can take in times like these is to be completely open and upfront with the public. Otherwise, as we have seen and heard here... and at the park, people start to speculate on what happened and begin making their own ridiculous assumptions, start spreading rumors, and the park just looks like it's trying to cover something up. HUGE mistake, in my opinion.

I guess people will believe what they want to believe. I had heard years ago that someone died falling off of The Bat. Didn't hurt the reputation of The Bat, although it was only open a few years. No one seemed to shy away from it when it was open. The GP really doesn't need to know the details until and unless the park wants to give those details. Stupid rumors about a certain coaster won't keep anyone from going to KI. You also have to consider that they want people to be assured that it's perfectly safe to ride SOB. It could mean a re-design or complete demolition. I think it is entirely possible that there's a huge discussion going on with the CF board members about what to do concerning SOB and that nothing has been decided.

paperg, The Son of Beast lovers have been lighter on the "Leave Son of Beast alone" comments. They have realized that people in this thread lately are NOT bashing Son of Beast. You, however, do not seem to get it. We are NOT bashing Son of Beast. We are having a reasonable and polite discussion about the maintenance, design and status of the ride. However bleak it may be for the said ride, we are not bashing it. We are not bashing it. You seem to think that whenever someone does not say something positive about the ride, they are bashing it and it gives you the right to tell them in essence to shut up. We have a right to voice our opinion anyway. I do agree some take it to far, but this thread is not all trashing sob. Others have realized that, and some have even joined in the discussion. You don't seem to get that yet.

Jackson, trying to sound as polite as he can, for he does not wish to throw stones, rather, to inform of their actions in hopes that they will improve....

jackson, i don't believe that your reason for us Son of Beast lovers being lighter is true. insted the reason, or at least mine, is because it doesn't mater what we say some (not all) Son of Beast haters take it and go on a giant rampage like the tazmanian devil and tear a thread apart with all of the "Son of Beast isn't safe" and "Son of Beast needs to be burned down", sometimes when we say something about Son of Beast some Son of Beast haters act just like those same park guest that we all get annoyed with in the park that no mater how hard you try to tell them something they just reject it and feel the need to keep on pointing a "fact" out even though you know that it isn't, but it doesn't matter what you know, it's what the people hear (i.e. the press that are taking quotes from here saying they are fact) that they believe.

coaster_junky, who still doesn't understand how he can have so many enjoyable rides on Son of Beast, and haters come off feeling like they have been trampled by an elephant.

[/confusing rant]

coaster_junky, I agree. I don't get it either. I have had many, many enjoyable rides on Son of Beast, the vast majority of them from the back seat. Yes, the back seat. There are times on slow days where there is no line, and I would gladly re-ride if they would let me. I have made many a trip from the exit to the entrance to get right back on in the back seat and have never had a problem. Yes, SOB is a little rough. There is no doubt about that. I have never came off the ride feeling like I've been trampled. But remember, it's a wooden roller coaster (a big one at that), not a Cadillac.

I guess people will believe what they want to believe...

Stupid rumors about a certain coaster won't keep anyone from going to KI...

I read an online article once, can't remember where, but one of the comments was made by a father who said that he would never take his children to KI because it is very dangerous. He said he'd rather buy a trampoline.

Yeah right, the day that a roller coaster is more dangerous than a trampoline is the day that Brett Favre retires.

In other words, NEVER!

coaster_junky, I agree. I don't get it either. I have had many, many enjoyable rides on Son of Beast, the vast majority of them from the back seat. Yes, the back seat. There are times on slow days where there is no line, and I would gladly re-ride if they would let me. I have made many a trip from the exit to the entrance to get right back on in the back seat and have never had a problem. Yes, SOB is a little rough. There is no doubt about that. I have never came off the ride feeling like I've been trampled. But remember, it's a wooden roller coaster (a big one at that), not a Cadillac.

Because of comments like this, I've given SoB a few "2nd chances" over the years... and every time I do, the only thing going through my mind ends up being the following: "is it over yet? is it over yet? is it over yet?"

It reliably wrenches my spine around in ways that I don't think the spine is supposed to be subjected to, or at least that's what it feels like. None of the other wooden coasters at Kings Island dish out anything close to that in my opinion. Therefore I've elected to not ride it anymore (at least until someone else talks me into yet another "2nd chance" :lol: )

I really don't see how people can ride it without their back getting twisted around, but if people like riding it, more power to them. Ride on! And you can have my seat! :P

^I personally think that Mean Streak is FAR rougher than Son of Beast. I think I've already told you guys how my dad described it..."like being in a giant blender while being shot in the stomach with a pressure washer". The only ride I think hurts worse is T2. It's not as jerky, but while Mean Streak and Son of Beast go for the stomach, T2 goes for the head. Not fun.

I have no problem with the vertical and lateral jolts common to wooden coasters. I think my problem on SoB is specifically related to the way the cars tend to oscillate/rotate around the vertical axis. Imagine a flagpole mounted to the floor of each car. Each car tends to rotate slightly about that axis, almost as if there's too much play side-to-side and each car's front set of wheels are bouncing around inbetween the rails instead of just tracking straight ahead. I have no idea if that's what is happening, but that illustrates the jerky ride characteristic I'm talking about. That twisting motion, in conjunction with harsh vertical/horiztonal jolts, adds up to back pain for me on that ride. And the pain starts before even reaching the lift hill. It's a shame, because the first (second? :P ) drop is indeed wicked.

I can't believe how much time some of you spend discussing this ride. It ain't nothing special, folks. It's big, it's fast and... and...and...and...about as exciting as watching paint dry. It's one of those rides that you look forward to riding about every six years.

^^^^ the first hill is very cool. No matter what happens to this ride if it is burnt to the ground or left standing, the current state it is in is sad compared to the first few years of the ride. Knowing you were on a woodie and about to hit the loop was an awesome fear. Mainly that first time not knowing what was going on and looking over your head to see the tail end of the train reaching the loop(whats up front seat riders). Yes I agree Sonny is very rough, and I think the park should do something, if not more so for their own PR than ride safety, Yes SOB is safer than a trampoline.....

Side bar for a moment, if everyone complains the ride is too rough why do we keep riding it? I am in the mind set now, that the ride is way to rough and ruins me for a few minutes afterwards, usually a good time to grab food out in the car is following a ride on SOB.... but seriously why do we ride it? Because it is fun, yes it hurts like the dickens, and may actually be causing long term damage that most of us wont see till we are much older, but to be truthful I no longer will offer up my personal opinion of "Its way to rough" because I am stupid enough to keep riding it. I am just like Dakota I keep giving it a second chance. So if you think its too rough dont ride it anymore....

As stated before what do we expect from a wooden coaster going 75 mph and 200 foot drop.........

Just my random ramblings for the day

I can't believe how much time some of you spend discussing this ride. It ain't nothing special, folks. It's big, it's fast and... and...and...and...about as exciting as watching paint dry. It's one of those rides that you look forward to riding about every six years.

You don't share the same enthusiasm as some of us coaster enthusiasts do. Do I enjoy watching SOB run? Yes. Riding it? No. How would you like it if I started to criticize one of your hobbies? I'm sure you would not like it.

Yeah, regardless of what you can or cannot ride, im pretty sure everyone can agree that SOB is a majestic coaster to look at and to watch. Its chain lift pretty much makes Action Zone, without SOB running that place feels empty. I only go there to ride Drop Zone and Top Gun occasionally.

...And the pain starts before even reaching the lift hill. It's a shame, because the first (second? :P ) drop is indeed wicked.

I assume you mean the third hill ;) . The first one isn't too big, the second is pretty small, but the third is... SOB* like :lol:.

*take that for what you want :lol: