The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

Well I've never been a negative commenter on the SOB issue... But at this point, it almost seems as though CF has decided enough is enough. I could be wrong, but who knows. IMO, I hope that it's life is short, and will be replaced with a GCI or Gravity Group ride. Thunderhead is great, as is Voyage. The early teasers for CP for 2010 seem to be pointing to GCI (see CPs Facebook), so let's hope a good relationship is continued, and we see one soon at KI.

There has been a lot of discussion that because people express their opinion about SOB by stating things like "Burn it," Tear it down", etc, they are personally attacking the people who love the ride. That's is absolutely silly. When all is said and done, we are talking about an inanimate object, an amusement park ride. And please, don't say that I wouldn't like it if people attacked Diamondback. If you wanted to say burn Diamondback, I wouldn't be offended, I would take it like you were expressing an opinion. While I love Diamondback, it is only a silly rollercoaster when all is said and done. Believe you me, I have had more concerns in my life in the past few years than worrying about a rollercoaster.

Just expressing my opinion people, nothing personal. Hopefully I maintained my civility. ( P.S. That pic of Reagan stating "Tear down this coaster now" was hysterical.)

How do you burn steel?

hooky, who just HAD to...

With thermite, this stuff burns around 4200 deg.

There has been a lot of discussion that because people express their opinion about SOB by stating things like "Burn it," Tear it down", etc, they are personally attacking the people who love the ride. That's is absolutely silly. When all is said and done, we are talking about an inanimate object, an amusement park ride. And please, don't say that I wouldn't like it if people attacked Diamondback. If you wanted to say burn Diamondback, I wouldn't be offended, I would take it like you were expressing an opinion. While I love Diamondback, it is only a silly rollercoaster when all is said and done. Believe you me, I have had more concerns in my life in the past few years than worrying about a rollercoaster.

Just expressing my opinion people, nothing personal. Hopefully I maintained my civility. ( P.S. That pic of Reagan stating "Tear down this coaster now" was hysterical.)

How do you burn steel?

hooky, who just HAD to...

With thermite, this stuff burns around 4200 deg.

Without bringing up any 9/11 conspiracy theories, that is, in fact how it is done! But, on point, I like SoB... But if it must go, I don't care as long as they replace it with something that doesn't suck.....LOL!!!!!

Without bringing up any 9/11 conspiracy theories, that is, in fact how it is done! But, on point, I like SoB... But if it must go, I don't care as long as they replace it with something that doesn't suck.....LOL!!!!!

We have a winner!

They need to call up Intamin :rolleyes:

For real. I know there are a lot of people that want "non-gimmicky" stuff but if you have been on one B&M invert...

If SoB goes I want an Intamin coaster with a launch that will melt my face off.

Like I said, if you want tons of airtime build a steel coaster. If I were to give you this description: Extremely steep drops, smooth as glass, ejector airtime, highly banked turns, and extreme speeds, would you say, "That is a wooden coaster"? I will leave that up to you to decide.

If I am building wood, give me a fun GCI with pops of floater air, lots of misdirection, and just enough rattle to give you an out of control feeling. However, you are entitled to your opinion and many people would side with you. Nevertheless, I am not one of them.

Nope, thats coming this fall. Is my description of the ride way off? It appears to be fun, but it looks as though the same feeling would exist if the ride were made out of steel. If this is far from the truth and the ride gives a "wooden" experience, I reserve my judgment and that will be that.

Nope, thats coming this fall. Is my description of the ride way off? It appears to be fun, but it looks as though the same feeling would exist if the ride were made out of steel. If this is far from the truth and the ride gives a "wooden" experience, I reserve my judgment and that will be that.

It has been my experience that those who go into a ride with pre-conceived notions largely find confirmation. That being said, El Toro does indeed give ME the sensations of most steel coasters. Still, it has astounding airtime, it's great, great fun, and it is among my favorite coaster experiences. Not my favorite wood, nor would it be my favorite steel were it steel, but it's up there. Way up there.

Ole, ole!

Guest rcfreak339

please, PUH-LEEZE, no more intamins. i would say go for it if they could fix there belt probs.

rotag, who can have a hit/miss relationship with intamins.

So you are saying you would rather have Son of Beast which has it's own problems besides a Intamin woody much like El Toro?

yeah. sob was down quite a bit when it first opened, but when its not being investigated, its uptime was commendable. i never once saw it closed, and most days it was open right at the rope drop at 10am.

Edit: i notced something else as well, they just sent out a flyer to season pass holders about all the upcoming events at Kings Island. in the flyer, clearly you see Son of Beast. its a new flyer, with events that havent occured yet. If they really planned on just not opening sob, you would at least think they would refrain from using it in any advertisements, or anything else to that effect.

please, PUH-LEEZE, no more intamins. i would say go for it if they could fix there belt probs.

rotag, who can have a hit/miss relationship with intamins.

So you are saying you would rather have Son of Beast which has it's own problems besides a Intamin woody much like El Toro?

i guess; since with SoB i can ride as much as i so choose, as compared to ex) Drop Tower, TTD, Millinuim force, wicked twister, just to name a few.

bad examples. those rides now have great uptime. they arent 100 percent, but they dont have any considerable major downtime. and you can ride any ride as much as you so choose, when it is open. sob, is not. however, i do want sob to reopen, and i dont want an intamin woodie.

im sorry, i wasnt trying to point out the down time, just SoB {when operational} i could fit/no prob. were as those intamins and the seatbelt issues i can ride one time/not ride the next/ride the following time, just the constant back and fourth of yes/no. kinda like when training a dog you cant hollar at it one time and not do anthing when it does it again.

rotag, hoping this clarefy's the point he was trying to make.

So I had made a post about this in the Firehawk thread about the incident, but I realize it belongs in here because I want to discuss Sonny. Firehawk has a similar incident, gets shut down, on a saturday, gets inspected on a sunday morning, and reopens a few hours into the day, all of this is within a 24hr time period, and yet Son just sits there being neglected? Since June? Just seems really messed up to me. You know the original thread about this was called, Son of Beast down for the season, am really starting to believe the person who said it hit it right on the money, and yet noone knows why...well, someone knows, just not us.

mrsteele glad you brought this up. The ride may just be down for the rest of the season and we will not know anything new until next season. The difference between Firehawk and sob was a man maybe died because of outside reasons and not the ride

Well that's why I bring it up, noone knows if Firehawk caused the man's death or not, just like with the woman. Haven't heard any info on whether they determined if Son caused her problem or not either. So why treat the two rides so different? Both rides investigated, even though Firehawk was much more quicker and we heard nothing but excuses on why so long for Sonny, both were cleared, Son gets to sit and collect dust, Firehawk is fired up as soon as possible, just find this very interesting.

So I had made a post about this in the Firehawk thread about the incident, but I realize it belongs in here because I want to discuss Sonny. Firehawk has a similar incident, gets shut down, on a saturday, gets inspected on a sunday morning, and reopens a few hours into the day, all of this is within a 24hr time period, and yet Son just sits there being neglected? Since June? Just seems really messed up to me. You know the original thread about this was called, Son of Beast down for the season, am really starting to believe the person who said it hit it right on the money, and yet noone knows why...well, someone knows, just not us.

One reason could be is SOB is a lot taller and longer than FH. Also, FH has a lot less supports and components to check, whereas SOB is MASSIVE. Every supports has to be checked (I assume?) and a lot more goes into it. SOB has a history with not liking some people and trying to hurt them so they never ride again :lol: (SOB has had incidents before). The person who dies on FH may have had a pre-existing condition which would've been easy to check. Also, SOB may still be shut down because CF is deciding what to do with it. Get new trains, re-track the entire ride, demolish it, do a major overhaul on it? SOB's situation is a lot more complex that FH's.*

*All of this is my opinion, even if you think it's stated as fact, even though I tried not to.