The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

Well I would have to think the massive size difference has alot to do with the time difference between the coasters. Plus it could be that CF has decided they need to find a way to "fix/change/alter/etc" SOB before they reopen it while FH was much easier to check and since it has no previous incidents it was easier to clear. Sort of if you get pulled over for speeding, and you have no other tickets or record you may get off with a warning where if you have multiple tickets you may get a larger ticket and have your car impounded..... (Just an example)

I just think if they have made up there minds, that since the season is coming to an end and they are going to keep it closed, then just say so. Real simple, This attraction is closed for the season. Then we can move on to speculating on what the future holds..lol.

maybe they are afraid of future speculation.... sort of like well they think we may reopen it so lets let people think "hey it may open" versus people going "oh C*** its closed for tthe season that means its done for start the bonfire...." but then again people are already doing both soooo..... maybe they think that by not announcing it people will keep coming to the park hoping it is open..... who knows... And Side note I just heard gangstas paradise being played during sunday night football talking about people in the Football Hall of Fame.... now back on topic....

Nails in the coffin for SoB:

1. Merchandise on clearance

2. Being virtually untouched since its closing

3. "It would be inappropriate to speculate when it may reopen..." (not exact quote)

4. Possibility of future incidents

5. The ride's reputation

Reasons to re-open SoB:

1. Record-breaker

2. Fun ride to some

3. Increases # of coasters for the park

4. Tearing it down would be expensive

5. Money put into it since 2006 accident

Feel free to add...

Nails in the coffin for SoB:

1. Merchandise on clearance

2. Being virtually untouched since its closing

3. "It would be inappropriate to speculate when it may reopen..." (not exact quote)

4. Possibility of future incidents

5. The ride's reputation

Reasons to re-open SoB:

1. Record-breaker

2. Fun ride to some

3. Increases # of coasters for the park

4. Tearing it down would be expensive

5. Money put into it since 2006 accident

Hmmmm I never looked at it like that.

Ya if they destroyed SOB, that would lower the count of coasters at the park, would cost a lot of money and two other things:

1. Kings Island wouldn't look so cool if SOB wasn't towering over the park.

2. That space would be too empty - and to build another coaster would cost even MORE money.

to be truthful I really hope that when it comes to safety and money issues the planners do not think "how will the skyline now look?" Even though I must say it is very impressive when driving south on 71..... but the thought process has to be at this point how much will it cost to keep the ride open and fixing (or major overhaul) every 4-5 years and would it be cheaper to build a ride that operate more often for a cheaper price........

Side note does anyone know for sure that the wood would be unusable after (if they would) tear it down? It can not be used anywhere else?

Is there anything to be gained by the park explicitly saying that it is or is not going to re-open this season? For now it's closed indefinitely. Anyone going to the park should just assume that it's going to be closed the day they're going. And if they do decide to re-open it I'm sure they'll let everyone know.

You would still rebuild a better coaster in SOB's spot, that towers over the skyline. Just as long as its by someone who knows what there doing.

If you can afford to do it. I think thats what a lot of people miss out on. (not you exactlly, just people in general)

The cost of tearing down, plus all the other costs to build coasters at parks that have already been planned for years.

The fact that Cedar Fair seems committed to paying down debt.

I am not sure that a new unplanned coaster at KI to replace SoB would fit the budget.

If they can't figure out a way to re-open it as is, or with minimal re-engineering then it may very well be SbnO for many years.

I hope thats not the case, but it could end up being reality if a better financial plan doesn't pop up.

With the quick time it took Firehawk to reopen and the coming of the end of summer, I would say it's pretty safe to think SOB has about a .001002% chance of opening before the season ends. :wacko:

Is there anything to be gained by the park explicitly saying that it is or is not going to re-open this season? For now it's closed indefinitely. Anyone going to the park should just assume that it's going to be closed the day they're going. And if they do decide to re-open it I'm sure they'll let everyone know.

Credibility, for one.

you said it would be open today or tomorrow. if it was, there would be some official post about it and it would be bigtime. even if it were to open this season, wed see it testing for at least a day or two before they open it since it has been down for so long.

at this point, i would be too. i really wish it would, though... youd probably see a boost of people coming back this year one more time just to ride it. ive talked to so many random people who were extremely dissapointed they wouldnt be able to ride it. especially the ones who came like 3 days straight so they could ride every last ride...