The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

^I think before Racer was built, Shooting Star at old Coney may have been the tallest and fastest. I don't remember its height but to me it looked like it might have been taller than Racer. Of course I was a kid then and everything seemed huge to me.

Sorry, I was going by the Coney Island billboard for The Racer. Forgot that it wasn't accurate.

You mean we were lied to? And to think I passed that information along as "fact" as it obviously came from the park owners themselves.

Rcdb is probably the best source for rollercoaster facts. Oh and in case nobody hasn't looked up SOB on rcdb, it's now stating that SOB is SBNO. Of course everyone knows that, it just shows how accurate and updated rcdb is.

http://rcdb.com/584.htm

Gee, I wonder how that happens...

I agree that rcdb is a great source of information about facts for rollercoasters, but disagree with saying it is always accurate and updated. In my opinion, they lose credibility when the have obviously incorrect data posted on the site - such as the following data about KI coasters:

- Beast: 4 min 10 second ride with capacity of 1200 pph

- Firehawk: Capacity of 1430 pph

- SOB: 2 min 20 second ride with capacity of 1600 pph

- Flight Deck: Capacity of 1200 pph

I'd love to know how information like this corrected...

Perhaps the billboard from Coney was accurate-could it be Racer is 94 ft high and has 88 ft drop? And are you sure, Terpy, there was a coaster that was taller? I think Racer was the tallest at the time.

With the amount of information on that site, it's pretty difficult to update everything. If parks made big announcements about the changes in ride capacity, I'm sure they would be more prone to update that information. As it is, it would be extremely difficult to maintain every detail about every ride.

KIFan1980, as I have stated many, many times, information that was correct when published is often changed later. You were NOT lied to on that Coney Island billboard. First of all, that was the plan for Racer, which, like many things, changed as budgets, site conditions, etc. dictated. Second, YOU were not lied to, as you weren't even around to see that billboard at the time.

As for incorrect information on the Roller Coaster Data Base site, all it takes is a correction request with proof of the correct figures, addressed to the site owners at:

feedback AT rcdb.com by email. Many users here have their photos on the site. The site would appreciate your input.

Hey Guys, I found the info we were wondering about from 1972 and The Racer.... The Racer has an 88 foot hill with a 60 foot drop, check here for facts, The tallest roller coaster at the time would be a ride called Serpent of Fire at La Feria Chapultepec Magico, Mexico City. it stood 100 feet in the air, check out info here or here , built in 1964. Colossus would be built 6 years after our racer and stand at, a then record breaking, 125 feet, sharing the title with Gemini as the tallest Roller Coaster.

Thank you! I knew I wasn't nuts (in this instance.) Perhaps once the park found out it was not going to be building the world's tallest coaster, it scaled back its plans to save money. I do know the plans did change from the time the coaster was first proposed. One should also remember there was no CADD, no GPS, surveying was very expensive aerial photography was neither as sophisticated nor as common as it is now and all drafting was done by hand. Back then, documentation of what was in fact built was nearly as important as planning what was to be built, as it was common to make many changes even in the field. As Beast was built, for example, the plans were continually being changed to avoid trees, for example.

your welcome terpy I was trying to make you look better than normal..... however something cool, yet sad at the same time, on all of those web sites it lists SOB as tallest.... So we still have that goin for us....... Is the ride covered in the case of a storm? Forexample if a tornado came through and destroyed part of the ride the park gets money to rebuild it correct? Not just SOB because thats not what I meant but all rides, and maybe I sort of hope for a minor accident to have the ride fixed for free

In general, it is a shame. The "Son of Beast" is such a massive wooden coaster, so much wood. As it was stated before it would be a waste for them to tear it down.

I hope it does not become the next "Zodiac" I believe that was SBNO for at least four years? (Anyone feel free to correct me on that)

That is a ton of space for a SBNO! Yikes.

Oh, could someone answer this question......Were any of the original designers or engineers of "The Beast" involved with the "Son of Beast?" If anyone could answer that, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

I hope a good solution comes out of the "Son of Beast" problem. (Jeez, I still miss the loop) :unsure:

i believe The Beast was constructed by park engineers and maintence people, while being designed by Al Collins and Jeffrey Gramke. The Son of Beast was designed by Werner Stengel and built by Roller Coaster Corporation of America along with KI crew or at least as it says

Well did hear next year they are removing the rosebowl and getting timberline trains and making the Son of Beast to making it the longest backwards coaster.

I hope you are kidding. That made me LOL.

Although removing the rosebowl and adding Timberliner trains are a possibility.

I've been to Kings Island every year since 2002. Yes, Son of Beast was more popular when it had a loop. No, I don't think the new trains helped make the ride more comfortable. That's not the point here. The point is that the ride was made to be a sequel to The Beast, a ride that was built to be scary, rough, and bring you to a near-death experience (just kidding on that last part). Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that any person who has any common sense should know that a wooden coaster that soars over 200 feet in the air is not going to feel good, OK. Besides, they already have signs at all their rides at Kings Island warning people.

Here's what I think Kings Island will do. They'll keep it closed for half of next year and then open it back up to see if people will still ride it. If they don't, then it will be SBNO for a year or more, so Cedar Fair can figure out how to get rid of the ride AND replace it with something else (or at least promise that it will be replaced like Delirium was for King Cobra).

This is what I would do (since I'm a rollercoaster tycoon fanatic). I would re-track part of the ride. Basically, make it so that the 2nd hill goes straight (instead of going into the giant helix). Then add on a turn around, then a hill (maybe not), and then connect that back up with the giant helix. That way, the ride isn't going 78 MPH through the helix (the speed would have decreased to a manageable 70 MPH max). Then, if Cedar Fair wants to bring back fans, bring in another loop and design a new kind of train that can deal with a steel loop. Finally, if they really wanted to be nostalgic, then they should add a few tunnels to the ride (it's supposed to be the sequel to Beast isn't it?!)

^Yes, because being a roller coaster tycoon fanatic makes you an expert on the subject... And 70 mph is much better than 78 mph... Oh and let's definitely bring back the loop, the entire reason the ride was re-done in the first place...

*sigh*

Forgive me if I'm crossing lines. But personally I think one of two things will happen. Those being the following:

1) Cedar Fair will deem SoB safe enough, and profitable enough, to operate as it is, and will open it back up sometime next season.

2) Cedar Fair will deem SoB unfit to re-open, and will keep it SBNO for at least a full season (all of next year) before removing it.

Please note this is all speculation and none of this is fact.