The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

If the track was redone into steel the coaster would go way too fast, and would be trimmed to death. If intamin could redesign it that would be another story. The only thing you'd have to keep in mind is the cost of such a project. Also if the track was redone into steel the supports may not be able to safely handle the weight.

If Intamin was involved. it would have as much down time as it does at the present.....LOL!!!!

• Like 1

The same was true of Volcano: The Blast Coaster at Kings Dominion for many years, and is still somewhat even today for Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka (the latter is down even as I type, last I heard...)

We had to wait out 45 minutes of downtime before my kids' first dragster ride...... We were strapped in and told to get out twice!

Edit: I would have preferred a rollback or two!!!

Why is everything a negative sign. Why can't they be good things. Like maybe they are taking out the signs at the front of the entrance for good (like the Fun and Safety Guide Instructions) so they can replace them with new and improved signs. Maybe they are planning an extreme overhaul of the ride this winter and are giving the ride a whole new look! (Hey I can think happy if I want)

because we may not know everything about Cedar Fair, but we can look at their track record. they don't do things they don't have to or that they don't deem necessary (the crypt, anyone?). they would not spend money on a new fun and safety guide unless they had to. They wouldnt remove the pole, if they were going to put up a new sign in the near future. At Geauga Lake they just silently removed the park with no warning whatsoever. The guide could just be down to not confuse people, but it simply just doesnt look good. I honestly just hope Cedar Fair knows what they are doing... from all the silence, to the sloppy changing of the website this hasn't been Cedar Fair's greatest moment, for sure...

I feel that if SOB ends up getting teared down, it should be rebuilt by a different reliable company..........My issue with the ride was that freak rosebowl or whatever that element after the first drop is.......and on The Beast also.

Besides The Beast being the longest wooden coaster in the world, SOB was the only other record breaking coaster in the park. If the ride ends up becoming scrap wood, what would Kings Island do to replace SOB image of Action Zone....Another Diamond Back?

I could see a Giga Coaster being built on that land

I feel that if SOB ends up getting teared down, it should be rebuilt by a different reliable company..........My issue with the ride was that freak rosebowl or whatever that element after the first drop is.......and on The Beast also.

Besides The Beast being the longest wooden coaster in the world, SOB was the only other record breaking coaster in the park. If the ride ends up becoming scrap wood, what would Kings Island do to replace SOB image of Action Zone....Another Diamond Back?

I could see a Giga Coaster being built on that land

Or a strata coaster that beats Kingda Ka's record. Height: 480 feet Speed: 140 MPH

Of course it would never happen because it would always break down. This is the second post I mentioned this in this same exact thread...

The reality is that very few care about ANY coaster records. The first year a coaster is open, a record may and probably does affect attendance somewhat significantly. After that, not so much, if at all. Cost, safety, reliability, re-rideability, guest satisfaction....all come long before any consideration of whether or not a particular coaster has or had any records.

One record that is standing now is the tallest Drop Tower in America. And it seems really crazy that SOB used to have FOUR records. Now only three.

Oh and I was just thinking - maybe someone already said this - doesn't SBNO (I think that means not operating) sound and look like SOB? Bad choice of name!

;)

i believe The Beast was constructed by park engineers and maintence people, while being designed by Al Collins and Jeffrey Gramke. The Son of Beast was designed by Werner Stengel and built by Roller Coaster Corporation of America along with KI crew or at least as it says

Thank you!

Do you know when Charles Dinn came in on The Beast? (I thought he was a major designer for The Beast)?????

Thank you for answering my question though. (Hhmmmm, just my opinion but maybe they should have had The Beast designers back for SoB.......I wonder if it would be a more successful coaster) :huh: ????

Charles Dinn saw over the construction of The Beast. He was at the time of it being built and designed the Director of Construction, engineering and Maintenance. I apologize for not including him in my original post.

Why would CF race to tear down something that will cost them nothing to keep standing? It will cost CF TONS of money to tear it down and carry away the scraps. In this economy, it doesn't make sense to spend money on something to not get anything out of it. Same thing with a flight deck repaint.

If SOB is infact dismantled, I would think they could recoup at least part of the labor costs by selling some of the materials for reuse elsewhere. There's a serious amount of treated lumber standing there, it would seem like this material could be put to use somewhere instead of them having to pay for its disposal. Heck, I'll buy some of it - my barn could use some new treated lumber!

That's a good point too.^

I'm really just hoping for Kings Island to not destroy SOB, even when I hate it. They're not going to build a coaster in the space of SOB right away, so that's a stupid thought. You know I was thinking why would KI even risk making a wooden coaster with a loop, the tallest drop, the tallest height, and the fastest speed? I think it's a pretty stupid idea. I mean, they're not physic, but at least have some realism in that!

You know I was thinking why would KI even risk making a wooden coaster with a loop, the tallest drop, the tallest height, and the fastest speed? I think it's a pretty stupid idea. I mean, they're not physic, but at least have some realism in that!

To say they have the tallest, fastest, and only looping wooden roller coaster in the world. That right there will bring in people AKA nickles and dimes :)