The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

i think since Son of Beast is closed for the season, the park should offer backstage "hardhat" tours of it so people can go back and take pictures of it, and if they want to they can have it be an upcharge like skyflyer or slingshot. i know i would pay to do it.

ugh. yes, you would have a lot of room. the land however is pretty hilly and Son of Beast is in a valley. it would be hard to have pathways down there without flattening the land a bit, which would cost a ton. If they removed the ride, it most likely wouldn't get anything new till at least two years either... parks just dont on a whim put rides and pathways in, it takes extensive planning, and money. money which Cedar Fair is probably not willing to spend right away if they were to remove sob which would be extremely costly

Terpy this question is directed at you and your legal knowledge.

Theoretical "IF"

IF KI and CF decide to remove SoB, because of the numerous issues and repairs made on the ride and since there was the infamous lawsuit against RCCA filed by Paramount regarding the structural deffects. Can CF look towards RCCA or even Stengel to receive costs or a recovery of costs for removal of the ride? Interested in how the legal system could work in favor of CF and KI removing the ride and not taking a bath in the investments they have made in it.

Cedar Fair (or CBS...depends on what was in the acquisition agreement when CBS sold Paramount Parks) already has a judgment against Roller Coaster Corporation of America, a judgment which, by all accounts, they have been unable to collect a single dime on. And rumor has it that Mr. Stengel has not visited the USA since that time...

You can sue anyone for anything...but perhaps not win. Even if you win, you may not be able to collect, as many a dissatisfied small claims court winner has found out to their sorrow.

Cedar Fair (or CBS...depends on what was in the acquisition agreement when CBS sold Paramount Parks) already has a judgment against Roller Coaster Corporation of America, a judgment which, by all accounts, they have been unable to collect a single dime on. And rumor has it that Mr. Stengel has not visited the USA since that time...

You can sue anyone for anything...but perhaps not win. Even if you win, you may not be able to collect, as many a dissatisfied small claims court winner has found out to their sorrow.

Hello, Mr Turnip? I'm here to collect some blood...

But SBNO rides DO have a cost. They cause at least some visitors to feel uncomfortable in the park, they send a message about the viability of the company that runs the park and they are an attractive nuisance. To say a SBNO costs nothing is not correct.

Having visited KI over the past week, it's hard not coming across a member of the general public who is curious about Son of Beast. They're wondering how to get to it, what it's called (when they see it from another ride or from pathways in the distance) - and I get to hear their disappointment when I tell them that not only is it closed that day, but for the rest of the season, and who knows beyond that? Part of the disappointment is that there's something that the park obviously invested greatly in building, and that the average guest can't enjoy it.

Then again, of course, there are the guests who think they would enjoy it, and in finality, some of them don't enjoy it - which explains why said huge wooden structure of great investment is off limits to them.

Has anyone thought that possibly KI already knows they are never going to reopen SOB and plan to tear it down in the offseason, but they are waiting until after the end of the season to notify the plublic of their plans in an attempt to limit the amount of uproar it might bring from guests/enthusiasts. I remember when it was announced while the park was still open that the Flying Eagles would be taken out at the end of the season. People signed petitions, there were rumors of ACE members handcuffing themselves to the ride :lol: , and we even threw together a "Save the Flyers" campaign.

I have no knowledge what the park plans to do with SOB...this is just something that popped into my head as a possibility.

Hello, Mr Turnip? I'm here to collect some blood...

One time in my whole life, I have had to contact an attorney about filing a lawsuit. It was many moons ago, but he told me pretty much the same thing. "Anyone with 250 dollars can sue someone else, but winning is a whole different story".

That, along with the situation I was dealing with, made me look at our legal system in whole new light.

It's not always about right, and wrong. It's more about who has more money, and who will submit first due to rising costs.

Possibly.

Like the well-intentioned but futile attempts at Busch Gardens (Williamsburg)...people walk around with "Save Big Bad Wolf" t-shirts.

Guess what...no one cares. The ride is history.

I am 100% confident they know exactly what the future of the ride is at this moment. I'm just as confident the general public won't know anything until there is snow on the ground.

i was just there today, and noticed something new. they took down the (this ride is currently down) sign and replaced it with a cable tied gate. Cedar Fair must seem to think that people wont notice there is a giant wooden hypercoaster next to them because it has no sign, or entrance now. 2nsnnyf.jpg

I would posit that CF doesn't know what they're doing with SOB yet. If they want to repair the ride, they'll have to get bids on retracking, plus I think any repair MUST include trains that are designed for the ride..Angie (giga) and I have talked offline about this and we both think anyway that the Gravity Group could be contacted to manufacture/provide such trains. The cost to do that v the cost to tear it down and replace it with nothing would have to be considered. That, combined with the possible Crypt removal and any backlash from potentially replacing Nick w Snoopy would not be a situation I'd want to be a part of. All the good buzz generated by DB would disappear in a flash.

Im really curious how KI is going to entice people to buy a season pass this year. This kind of reminds me a lot of Geauga Lake (not that I think KI is going anywhere). But before GL opened for its last season they lost 2 rides and all they did was add Lego Racers 4-D and renovate a food stand, but by the creative way the press release was written you woulda thought some exciting things were happening at GL. I hope KI is savy enough to spin this in a good light, but I am very worried.

top of page 37 Kris said that if it had the steel track it would be way too fast..... last time I checked, Diamondback and SOB had only a 1 ft drop difference. The speed would be about as equal as DB.

I really think this would make the ride better. I would actually enjoy riding it if it were steel.

i was just there today, and noticed something new. they took down the (this ride is currently down) sign and replaced it with a cable tied gate. Cedar Fair must seem to think that people wont notice there is a giant wooden hypercoaster next to them because it has no sign, or entrance now. 2nsnnyf.jpg

RIP SOB. :(:(:(

RIP SOB. :(:(:(

hopefully it isn't so.

it'll be the end of an era, lol

Are you people crazy? We know SOB is gone sometime. Someday. Obviously. No "RIP" and "The end of an era". It just was not a good ride, as said many times before.

I don't like it.

Ah yes, but many people might. I like it quite well. It's all a subjective thing. Some people don't like The Beast or Racer. I see both as priceless game-changing works of art.