The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

one thing is for sure, if the ride were to be closed, it would not have a "funeral" one day it would be all in one piece, the next it would start to be dissassembled... they arent going to make a spectactle out of it if that were the case, for sure...

From Screamscape on 8/24:

While nothing has been decided, I’ve heard that there are three likely solutions to the whole Son of Beast problem. One… they could just close the ride and demolish it. Given the number of problems they’ve had with this ride over the years, no one would be surprised at this outcome. The other two ideas are costly, and still may not fix the problem entirely. One idea is to look at replacing the ride’s structure with a steel support system, in addition to complete retracking as well as a new third train design. The other would keep it as a wooden ride, but would involve a complete design of the track, eliminating the two giant helixes as this seems to be the focus point of all the problems and complaints they’ve had with the ride over the years.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing the second option used… going with a layout that has more ups and down and less radical turns. While I doubt it’s still possible, I wouldn’t mind seeing the loop and old trains return as well, but that’s just me.

While I agree with what he would want, I see that as being the least likely. Out of those three options, I see the first one happening before the others. I could see something similar to the third option, but not entirely what it is.

They could re locate that little Virtual Reality thing that is/used to be by the Adventure Express exit path. You get in the seat, put on the visor, and experience Son of Beast the way it was meant to be ridden!

That's a big Guitar Hero game now...

They could re locate that little Virtual Reality thing that is/used to be by the Adventure Express exit path. You get in the seat, put on the visor, and experience Son of Beast the way it was meant to be ridden!

That's a big Guitar Hero game now...

In some people's terms. That would be called being "pwned", for all you "N00BZ" out there!

I like the shows. Ice skating show doesn't get old, probably because I love how the skaters can accomplish what they do on that little rink, lol :P

Only one I don't care for the is the singing in the 80's show...

I think this person would argue with you...

I seen the 80's show saturday (Blue Jackets day) and he/she was dancing up a storm. Thier heart will be crushed if the show was removed.

When I read the rumored options on Screamscape, I was like wow he's been reading this here and various other forums. I don't understand why he even bothered posting some of it. I mean how much sense would it make to replace the wooden structure with steel to have the same ride? You would essentially be demolishing the coaster to put it back up only slightly different. I like SOB but would rather see it torched than to see that option, a lot of better things could come of the money spent in that situation. Now if it were done as a retrack with a few areas recieving metal supports that I would understand.

A lot of people are throwing out a lot of different options to hopefully make Son of Beast a better ride, but I have to wonder, how many of these modifications are actually plausible? And of the ones that are, how many have already been used? How many would reasonably improve the quality of the ride, or, in some cases, escape liability in future incidents? Not to mention, how would the cost of modifying the ride, keeping it open, paying for further maintenance, and risking more accidents, compare to the cost of simply removing the ride and being rid of any future problems?

Jackson, who while he may be dead wrong about his suspicions, still has to wonder.....

P.S., Peanut is adorable. :P

A lot of people are throwing out a lot of different options to hopefully make Son of Beast a better ride, but I have to wonder, how many of these modifications are actually plausible? And of the ones that are, how many have already been used? How many would reasonably improve the quality of the ride, or, in some cases, escape liability in future incidents? Not to mention, how would the cost of modifying the ride, keeping it open, paying for further maintenance, and risking more accidents, compare to the cost of simply removing the ride and being rid of any future problems?

Jackson, who while he may be dead wrong about his suspicions, still has to wonder.....

The following phrase comes to mind: Those who know don't talk. And those who talk don't know. :)

The following phrase comes to mind: Those who know don't talk. And those who talk don't know. :)

Yes, thats why the name of the new ride at KD was on some of the forums weeks before the announcement. ;)

I thought it was: "Those who talk don't know. And those who know dont' talk". :P

P.S., Peanut is adorable.

The following phrase comes to mind: Those who know don't talk. And those who talk don't know.

Yes, thats why the name of the new ride at KD was on some of the forums weeks before the announcement. ;)

Actually, I first heard it on forums about Carowinds. Then, people started reading that and started saying maybe that would be the name of the coaster at KD just a couple weeks before the announcement.

Well for one I am surprised we have been debating this now for 46 pages and however many posts that is... Realistically no one has offered up a serious idea or "inside" information about this ride. I just am wondering, calling out Terpy and anyone else who has been around for a while, what are the steps Ceder Fair has taken in the steps in closing down a ride. I am not talking about GL, but other rides. For example is their a pattern the park does so we can all pre-pare ourselves for the sad/happy announcement (depending on what side of the pro/anti SOB you are on). I just am wondering if anyone out there with real knowledge on how the company does it would be willing to share it here. We have all seen the photos, even the latest of the que line being gated, is this a normal step in a ride shut down for good, or is this just standard operation for a ride which is shut down for the season.... Please submit credible sources in MLA format, along with supporting articles, papers due Friday (ha sorry getting back into school form of writing research papers)

i was just there today, and noticed something new. they took down the (this ride is currently down) sign and replaced it with a cable tied gate. Cedar Fair must seem to think that people wont notice there is a giant wooden hypercoaster next to them because it has no sign, or entrance now.

The exit is BOLTED shut. BOLTED. They obviously aren't planning on removing that gate soon. And it has a potted plant in front of it. I find that to be incredibly humorous. "Move along, nothing to see here!"

24080919072901.jpg