The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

Well for one I am surprised we have been debating this now for 46 pages and however many posts that is... Realistically no one has offered up a serious idea or "inside" information about this ride. I just am wondering, calling out Terpy and anyone else who has been around for a while, what are the steps Ceder Fair has taken in the steps in closing down a ride. I am not talking about GL, but other rides. For example is their a pattern the park does so we can all pre-pare ourselves for the sad/happy announcement (depending on what side of the pro/anti SOB you are on). I just am wondering if anyone out there with real knowledge on how the company does it would be willing to share it here. We have all seen the photos, even the latest of the que line being gated, is this a normal step in a ride shut down for good, or is this just standard operation for a ride which is shut down for the season.... Please submit credible sources in MLA format, along with supporting articles, papers due Friday (ha sorry getting back into school form of writing research papers)
With the way they are removing signs and closing off the gate opening this leads to a long reconstuction time frame or a tear down option as was done some 34 years ago at the pike with the wild mouse that was sbno just like sob only to be opened a year later until the park shutdown in 1979.

cyclone had the same fate years earlier and was tore down in the off season.

With things being removed from the stores and the way signs have been removed,this could be pretty much it.Lets just hope ki lets some of the faithful followers get one more tour and pictures if this indeed is the end of sob.

a

Well for one I am surprised we have been debating this now for 46 pages and however many posts that is... Realistically no one has offered up a serious idea or "inside" information about this ride. I just am wondering, calling out Terpy and anyone else who has been around for a while, what are the steps Ceder Fair has taken in the steps in closing down a ride. I am not talking about GL, but other rides. For example is their a pattern the park does so we can all pre-pare ourselves for the sad/happy announcement (depending on what side of the pro/anti SOB you are on). I just am wondering if anyone out there with real knowledge on how the company does it would be willing to share it here. We have all seen the photos, even the latest of the que line being gated, is this a normal step in a ride shut down for good, or is this just standard operation for a ride which is shut down for the season.... Please submit credible sources in MLA format, along with supporting articles, papers due Friday (ha sorry getting back into school form of writing research papers)
With the way they are removing signs and closing off the gate opening this leads to a long reconstuction time frame or a tear down option as was done some 34 years ago at the pike with the wild mouse that was sbno just like sob only to be opened a year later until the park shutdown in 1979.

cyclone had the same fate years earlier and was tore down in the off season.

With things being removed from the stores and the way signs have been removed,this could be pretty much it.Lets just hope ki lets some of the faithful followers get one more tour and pictures if this indeed is the end of sob.

?

After reading up on the repair history of sob i can now see why this ride is costing the park lots of money.

Everything from jacking part of the track up to fixing cracks in the wood beams ect ect.The sob will be a big topic in the Cedar Fairs board room this off season as well as here on kic.Im not sure if anyone has seen the reports so heres the link.

http://news.cincinnati.com/assets/AB139534729.PDF

74gibson, with the ride being broken or not running you still have those same crowds right now.... so hopefully they do fix it so i can get another ride on it next year to remind myself why I do not enjoy riding it all the time.... with that being said hopefully it does get fixed but we shall sit and wait....

It looks like 'tweetybird 1's post has been removed of content but Tomkatt saved it in his quote of that post.

That would be interesting to see a SOB 2.0 as long as long as it got retracked and KI please put in some nicer trains not some old ones that were used on other coasters. <_<

Edit: It looks like Tomkatt's quote is gone too...

Don't you think that they would give people a chance to ride it just one last time? I LOVE that ride (front seat only). It's so fast and that little dip where you come off the lift and dip before going down the hill, is a really cool element that not a lot of other coasters have, when you really think about it its one of the best parts of any roller coaster, it gives you the time to actually realize how high you are. I really want this ride to stay.

The video for openning day makes me cry. I rode it when i was 5 in 2000. It is my favortie coaster at the park. I think it comes down to this, get retracked with a new design to the track,adjustments to the suports,and 3 not 2 new trains by GCI. If not its time to go. Short and sweet.

p.s. how can you love roller coasters and hate sob?

The video for openning day makes me cry. I rode it when i was 5 in 2000. It is my favortie coaster at the park. I think it comes down to this, get retracked with a new design to the track,adjustments to the suports,and 3 not 2 new trains by GCI. If not its time to go. Short and sweet.

p.s. how can you love roller coasters and hate sob?

You got a point there.Good or bad i love sonny.

I'm starting to think they took the sign down because they may take a year or two doing complete over haul on the coaster. Son of Beast has too many fans an potential to just tear down. Plus it would be a HUGE waste of money. Although, how long was the wait opening day? Because that may just have paid for the ride lol. I just want the loop back in, hopeless.

i have some advice for the next company to build a hyper woddie with a loop - use steel supports, i think the designers for Son of Beast had no idea of what they were doing. lol. my 8th grade science class could design i better hyper woddie, give me a breake, but i love the ride :lol:

I'm starting to think they took the sign down because they may take a year or two doing complete over haul on the coaster. Son of Beast has too many fans an potential to just tear down. Plus it would be a HUGE waste of money. Although, how long was the wait opening day? Because that may just have paid for the ride lol. I just want the loop back in, hopeless.

Probably true about removing the sign. No sense in teasing guests or causing confusion.

I wouldn't think they would consider keeping a ride because of the amount of fans it had if they were losing money on it. While it would be a waste of money tearing it down, it has also been a waste of money keeping it operational. I should probably rephrase that, it hasn't necessarily been a waste of money so much as it has been a large consumer of money. At some point the execs are going to have to sit down and crunch numbers. Will it cost less to fix and continue maintaing SoB or cost less to just tear it down. I'm starting to wonder if that point is approaching. Judging by what that little "tipster" that posted a bit back said, it isn't this time around. But perhaps, maybe next time. Not saying something will happen again, but if it did.

I would love to see the loop come back too, but alas, that will never happen. [sigh] We can dream though. :)

i have some advice for the next company to build a hyper woddie with a loop - use steel supports, i think the designers for Son of Beast had no idea of what they were doing. lol. my 8th grade science class could design i better hyper woddie, give me a breake, but i love the ride :lol:

I think they did rather well actually. It is the first wooden hyper coaster to be built. They could have had many more problems with it than they do now.

Some things. Yes, Kings Island sued the RCCA and its subsidiaries. No, to my knowledge, they never collected a single dime. Got a judgment, just couldn't collect. And no, RCCA is not out of business, though they may as well be. They even still have a working website:

http://www.rcca.com/

Son of Beast is even still listed on this page:

http://www.rcca.com/RCCA/rides.html

A bit odd, given that it was Paramount Parks, NOT RCCA, that ended up being the general contractor for the ride. It was Paramount Parks, not RCCA, that ended up supervising most of the construction, but this was after the former removed the latter from that role.