The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

I had a co-worker at work called that by another one and he was offended by it and should have went to HR over the issue. The guy is only a temp who called him that so I wasn't surprised by him saying it because of that and being a loser living off his girlfriend. I really can't stand the word at all!

I can't seem to find exactly what the pre-existing condition that the park claims existed was, unfortunatly. I do know that, with the two broken necks that the ride caused, the riders both did have a particular type of arthritis, but the riders claim that their doctors said that they could safely ride wooden rollercoasters.

I guess some people do enjoy SoB, but I just can't see the park taking a gamble on keeping a ride that has injured that many riders. I would guess that there are quite a few people who were injured by the ride but just never thought of reporting it to the park. It'd be interesting to see how many guest complaints KI got per year about SoB.

the blunt force trauma was not a pre-existing injury. I posted about this back a few pages (maybe around page 20 or so.) The preconditioned reason was because the guy was over weight. The blunt force trauma injuries can cause internal damage to organs inside the body.

"A 30-year-old man from Mississippi died the day after he rode the Son of Beast. The Hamilton County Coroner determined he had died from hemorrhagic shock and blunt impact to the torso. Ronald Jones had several pre-existing health conditions and should have never taken a ride, the investigation determined. He had a protein S deficiency, neurofibrosis and was morbidly obese, according to the chief deputy coroner."

read about it here

I included links to what protein deficiencies are, along with neurofibrosis, and an original link to the story

The only thing that really makes me mad about SOB being closed is that it was because of ONE person. One lady that complained about having a head injury. I know it's over now, and I should have said this a long time ago, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Skim the many threads here and you can see that SoB was not closed because of one person, but because of various issues.

No I mean this one time when it happened, this summer. I know other incidents have happened, like the 24 people who were injured in 2006.

Again, it is the combination of all the problems SoB has had.

If SoB had no history of issues and it was only this one isolated incident this summer, I'm sure SoB would be operating, but it has been the multiple incidents that has caused the closure.

Aw,Touche!.. Yeah SoB has been rougher than usual and I know it's been retracked numerous times for me it's the coastercars man, those are painful I shake rattle and bounce in those.. kinda like how FoF used to be...I would like to see SoB in Spring/Summer 2010 because I haven't rode it yet this season and now I can't.

I can't seem to find exactly what the pre-existing condition that the park claims existed was, unfortunatly. I do know that, with the two broken necks that the ride caused, the riders both did have a particular type of arthritis, but the riders claim that their doctors said that they could safely ride wooden rollercoasters.

In the story I read, it was stated they were not told by their doctors that they had the condition. Therefore, they had not been told that they couldn't ride coasters.

Honestly I have never rode SOB. But I wish I had. How rough could it possibly be? I mean, to people get injured mainly because of health problems? (I asked that question before, but I didn't find any answers.)

Well I know people all the time ride rides that they shouldn't and therefore get hurt and then they want to sue.No when it first opened it was somewhat rough I dunno I haven't rode SOB this year and now can't.

I rode The Beast Friday and it had rough spots but that is normal because its wooden its not going to be like glass smooth,people who don't ride roller coasters enough don't know that its normal. SOB wasn't normal it was beyond that because of the accident that happened in 06' it has had some good years besides that one year that pretty much reuined it for the future of it possibly.

Honestly I have never rode SOB. But I wish I had. How rough could it possibly be? I mean, to people get injured mainly because of health problems? (I asked that question before, but I didn't find any answers.)

My own experience:

My family has been going to parks like KI since I was very young. We would go to multiple parks every year. Then as got older, I made a point to experience as many parks as I could. My wife feels the same way and enjoys parks & roller coasters as much as I do. Now I am not going to proclaim myself a "coaster" expert, but I base my feelings/ opinions on the ride compared to the other rides we have been on.

SoB is absolutely the worst ride I have ever been on. It is the first ride that I have ever said, "Ok, we don't need to ride that again today." It is also the first ride that I had to take a break from riding other rides for a while after I got off the first time.

And take a step back and look at the big picture. People go on rides everyday all over the World with an unknown medical conditions. Yet, it seems that everytime someone gets hurt while riding SoB, that is the reason. And while it is probably the exact reason why someone gets hurt, why is SoB always at the center of attention?

My own experience:

My family has been going to parks like KI since I was very young. We would go to multiple parks every year. Then as got older, I made a point to experience as many parks as I could. My wife feels the same way and enjoys parks & roller coasters as much as I do. Now I am not going to proclaim myself a "coaster" expert, but I base my feelings/ opinions on the ride compared to the other rides we have been on.

SoB is absolutely the worst ride I have ever been on. It is the first ride that I have ever said, "Ok, we don't need to ride that again today." It is also the first ride that I had to take a break from riding other rides for a while after I got off the first time.

And take a step back and look at the big picture. People go on rides everyday all over the World with an unknown medical conditions. Yet, it seems that everytime someone gets hurt while riding SoB, that is the reason. And while it is probably the exact reason why someone gets hurt, why is SoB always at the center of attention?

I agree completely. I know I've told the story before but it still remains true. I've ridden coasters all over the country. SOB is the only coaster that I can attribute an actual injury to. Immediately upon exiting the ride I knew there was something very wrong. My head hurt and I was nauseous. As it turned out, I had cervical sprain (whiplash) and had to suffer for a couple weeks. I've only ridden the coaster twice in my life and will be none too unhappy if it left the park.

Well I know people all the time ride rides that they shouldn't and therefore get hurt and then they want to sue.No when it first opened it was somewhat rough I dunno I haven't rode SOB this year and now can't.

Okay now that brings me to another question - do people actually sue amusement parks for being injured?

It really is that rough. I went to Kings Island with five of my friends last year, and we rode Son of Beast in the last car. The only one that could (easily) walk for the 30 minutes after the ride was the one who took the "chicken" exit.

He sure was one smart chicken. ;)