The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

well good to you guys who can and will not buy a season pass to show the park what you think. I support you guys cause you are standing up for something. But to be truthful, even if Beast would be torn down, I still would attend the park. A park is like anything else, it breathes it grows, it shrinks, things are born, and things die.... its the sad state of our own lives, but nothing lasts forever. Even Disney changes things....

Ok, let me get this straight. If Son of Beast is gone, you are going to refuse to purchase a season pass? So the only reason you purchase a season pass is to ride the Son of Beast? Nothing else in the park catches your interest at all? If this is the case ( although I'm sure it's not ) then have at it. I have stated my opinion many times.....I will not ride Son of Beast. However, I am a fan of the park. Listen to all of us who have been around to watch the Smurfs come and go, Hanna Barbera come and go, Nickelodeon come and go, Wild Animal Habitat come and go, WinterFest come and go, King Cobra come and go, etc..........If all of us had stopped going to the park years ago, there would be nothing to come to now. No Diamondback, no Firehawk, no Flight Deck, well, no anything. It hurts, but you carry those memories that you cherish with you forever. Yes, you will always miss it. But you make the most of your memories, and you never stop searching for new ones. Better ones. With ideals and concepts you have not even imagined yet. Some new attractions will compare, some will fall short, and some will even surpass your perspective of the Son of Beast right now. I applaud you for defending what you hold dear.

But again, keep your memories with your family and friends, and make new memories. Make new friends. Watch your families grow. Eventually, the ride will not even matter nearly as much because brand new people in your life were never even there to experience it with you. Trust me.

my 2 cents......HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

Not to mention the answer wasn't right. The coaster's original contractor was Roller Coaster Company of Ohio, an affiliate of Roller Coaster Corporation of America. Paramount Parks wasn't happy with that for some reason, fired RCCO and took over as the general contractor. So, largely, Paramount Parks was in charge of building Son of Beast, and many of the choices made in doing so.

See also:

...Werner Stengel of Munich, Germany designed the ride and its unique loop feature. Structural engineering for the giant wooden structure was performed by William H. Childress, P. E., Wood Structures, Inc. of Atlanta, Georgia....

http://www.rcca.com/RCCA/history.html

See, in particular:

http://www.rcca.com/RCCA/pressrel1.html

NEWS RELEASE

DATE: April 26, 2002

Today, Roller Coaster Company of Ohio, LLC, received notice that the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, Western Division, directed that a default judgment in favor of Paramount Parks, Inc. be entered against the Company for failure to hire another lawyer and to continue to pursue the case against Paramount Parks, Inc., owner-operator of the Kings Island Theme Park, near Cincinnati.

This case began when Roller Coaster Company of Ohio, LLC, was forced to file suit against Paramount’s Kings Island Theme Park in order to attempt to collect approximately $500,000 in final payments due the Company as a result of its participation in the design and supply of the Son of Beast roller coaster. Paramount’s Kings Island withheld the payments improperly and blamed Roller Coaster Company of Ohio for problems with the ride. Roller Coaster Company of Ohio has contended all along that the Ohio theme park was not qualified to manage and build such a massive engineering and construction project in-house, and that its resultant problems with the ride were self-inflicted by an inexperienced and unqualified management and supervisory staff. (See Link to article which appeared in The Cincinnati Enquirer on December 15, 2000.)

Thus far, Roller Coaster Company of Ohio, has incurred thousands of dollars in legal expenses in the attempt to collect what it is owed and to pursue the matter through the courts. The company does not have the resources to continue the legal battle and can not afford to go further with this case, regardless of the inequity.

The price of justice is just too great for a small specialty company to go up against the multi-billion dollar, multi-national, Viacom Empire, which owns and controls such companies as CBS Television, Paramount Pictures, Blockbuster and Simon and Shuster. The company has done all that it can do in the attempt to collect what it is owed and to right a wrong.

Disclaimer: As always, quoting a source does not necessarily indicate agreement therewith.

Nor was this all. Paramount Parks sued RCCO and RCCA, got a judgment but was unable to collect. It then sued its own insurance company, Admiral, I believe it was, claiming it could then collect as an occurrence under that policy. The courts did not agree:

http://www.twelfth.courts.state.oh.us/Pres...s.%20Co.%5B.pdf

Internet claims do not reality make. The reality is Paramount Parks was the general contractor during much, if not most, of the construction.

Let me quote with emphasis part of that RCCA press release I quoted in my second quote before:

...Roller Coaster Company of Ohio has contended all along that the Ohio theme park was not qualified to manage and build such a massive engineering and construction project in-house, and that its resultant problems with the ride were self-inflicted by an inexperienced and unqualified management and supervisory staff. (See Link to article which appeared in The Cincinnati Enquirer on December 15, 2000.)...

So, RCCA claimed the project was theirs when it was convenient to do so, and claimed it was Paramount Parks' when it was not.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really... We basically know where we stand right now. The park is going to announce at some point this off season what they're going to do about Son of Beast. Everyone has already made their guesses. Right now all we can do is wait.

^

Everyone makes mistakes. And post count doesn't have anything to do with content...

I would consider my own content horrible compared to many other members, but I get on every day, so I have a lot of posts.

Just for the record, Skaterboy hasn't posted in quite a while, but he generally has pretty good content.

^

Yes, people make mistakes, but I hardly call it a mistake to say "I don't feel like looking even at the last three posts in this topic so someone tell me what's happening to Son of Beast." There's hundreds of people who've posted that same thing about Son of Beast. I'm not even saying to use the "search" feature, but skim the last page of the topic rather than blatantly saying "I don't feel like looking, sooo..." I don't know about you, but that doesn't exactly entice me to answer for you. :P No hard feelings, of course, but it definitely one of the things I've heard way too often. Not pretending I'm an expert or anything... Just sayin'.

You don't even need to look at "all the pages." How about look at the post above yours... I expected more of someone with 1000+ posts?

Wow. Ok. And I expected more from someone here on KIC. I made a mistake, deal with it. And it doesn't matter if I have 1,000+ posts. There are great people on here who have less then 100 posts that know a lot more than me and probally most of the people on this site. So you might want to think about what you said because that's just an ignorant statement.

BTW- Thanks Coney Island Rocks.

Also, you are right. I should of skimmed through the last few posts, but that's not a reason to say that. That's like me saying "Oh Terpy, you made a mistake. I expected more of someone like you". Just watch what you say to people.

Not really... We basically know where we stand right now. The park is going to announce at some point this off season what they're going to do about Son of Beast. Everyone has already made their guesses. Right now all we can do is wait.
(emphasis added)

At least one person here has very carefully tried to show both sides of the issue and not engage in hinting, guessing or speculation. Regardless of how many posts that person may or may not have.

Everyone has already made their guesses. Right now all we can do is wait.
(emphasis added)

At least one person here has very carefully tried to show both sides of the issue and not engage in hinting, guessing or speculation. Regardless of how many posts that person may or may not have.

Ahhh...but he didn't say that everyone had POSTED their guesses...i'm speculating that even that one person has been guessing right along with the rest of us! :P (Now if I only had a hint of who that one person was/is.)

I think the decision they make will effect when we hear the annoucment. If they are going to remove it or have it SBNO for 2010 I would think we would hear that annoucement earlier then if they decide to reopen it this year. That way they could give the bad news first then start an ad campaign around the Planet Snoopy as a positive to counter SoB closing/removal. I think if they decide that its going to be open this year though then it may be late winter, early spring before we hear anything.

On a separate note if SoB is going to be open this year do you think that CF/KI would promote that fact in ads etc. or is there too much of a negative stigma attached to the ride in the eyes of the general public to do that at this point?