The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

Yes- No decision has been made regarding SOB

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20850&st=495

see post 506.

Seriously though, we definitely won't hear anything until after 3/16/10 when they vote on the merger and I really doubt we'll hear much of anything until right before opening day... if then. SBNO looks pretty liekly.

I wouldn't count on it. The park has said multiple times that a decision has not been made about the future of Son of Beast. I would think that if they planned on opening it by opening day a decision would have been made by now. In my opinion I see them considering the option of re-building/re-profiling the ride or replacing it all together like Hercules at Dorney Park. We will all know soon enough whether the ride will be open on opening day as April 17th is right around the corner.

I agree 100% that it would be flushing money down the toilet, but it may be something that the park is seriously looking at. I'm sure in the eyes of Cedar Fair there is this massive record breaking roller coaster that has some sort of potential to it. Any route that they take is going to cost them a fairly large amount of money to either re-profile or demolish. For all we know the park could be in talks with many ride manufacturers about what each of them could do to better the ride. They may be weighing out these options as we speak deciding the route to take (if any). Thus giving us the "No Decision Has Been Made" response. I highly doubt that the ride will ever re-open in the current state that it is in for the fact that they have stated that they are unhappy with the ride performance. It's sad to see a roller coaster that is 10 years old and cost millions of dollars to build, going to possibly cost the company millions more. We can speculate 100's if not 1000's of different things that could happen to the ride or the ride site, but until the park makes up it's mind and decides what is in the best interest to their bottom line, we will never truly know.

I personally think that the ride has run it's course and has created a very bad image for itself. I hate to see any coaster lost but this is a area of that park that could use a breath of fresh air. The land that SOB sits on has a lot of potential for multiple coaster designers. In the long run I think the park and public would be a lot happier with something else there.

Cost of five Paramount Parks? $1.24 billion.

Cost of a dozen Cedar Fair parks? $700 million.

:P I know that's not a fair representation due to debt inheritance, etc. It's just a funny thought. But as always, CBS really got the last laugh... Both against Cedar Fair and, in many ways, Viacom!

It should not be shocking what happens to SOB if the new owner doesn't want to waste $$ down the drain on it more...

No, it won't, as it will have the same status it does now.

If a company doesn't want to waste nickles, they won't do anything that they don't have to do.

Then again, they tore down nearly everything at GL... but a company like Apollo wouldn't do that.

For all we know the park could be in talks with many ride manufacturers about what each of them could do to better the ride. They may be weighing out these options as we speak deciding the route to take (if any). Thus giving us the "No Decision Has Been Made" response.

At this point, the park may find it difficult to find a manufacturer/ engineer that would be willing to take on a project like modifing SoB and be willing to also take responsibility for modifing SoB.

Given the numerous changes to the ride, and it's history over the last 10 years I certainly would not want my firm to touch it.

And how do we know exactly what a company would do with an amusement park? They haven`t exactly owned or operated a chain of parks before.

And on the subject of Son of Beast. As has been said and restated by the park, they have not made a decision on the fate of Son of Beast. While that may very well be the case, the 2010 season is quickly approaching. I`m sure they know if the ride will be opening with the park, or even by Memorial day weekend. As in order to open the ride, they have to have the ride inspected by the state ride inspectors. Additionally, they would have to have hired a crew to run the ride once the park opens. So while the park may not know what future action they are going to take with the ride, I think it is logical to deduce at this point in time, that no news equates to the ride likely not opening with the park. It may remain standing but not operating for now. Especially barring the outcome of the vote next week and any events that happen thereafter.

Tests would start late march early april, but if SOB was to go from SBNO to operating I'd imagine we'd see tests sooner. Which at this point doesn't look like anything will happen. I doubt we see anything happen this year. When the ride went down last year I don't think the park had enough time to put any significant repairs (as in more than 06/07 work) into the budget for this year. If the ride is going to reopen I'd expect to see it open next year. If it doesn't open then, then the ride has run out of all hope.

Tests would start late march early april, but if SOB was to go from SBNO to operating I'd imagine we'd see tests sooner. Which at this point doesn't look like anything will happen. I doubt we see anything happen this year. When the ride went down last year I don't think the park had enough time to put any significant repairs (as in more than 06/07 work) into the budget for this year. If the ride is going to reopen I'd expect to see it open next year. If it doesn't open then, then the ride has run out of all hope.

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here - but I have heard from a good source that the two trains used on SOB have already been sold and left the park late last year. So, unless new trains are on the way (Timberliners?), I think the answer on whether it will be operating this season or not has already been made.

So, unless new trains are on the way (Timberliners?), I think the answer on whether it will be operating this season or not has already been made.

I have read something about Son of Beast and the new Timberliners but I couldn't find the post on here so I will go with what I read!

It said something like this I believe...

Son of Beast has a bad history of accidents. Would they sell Timberliners to a ride that has a bad history? No. If something else would happen to Son of Beast with the Timberliners it would make other parks think twice about getting the trains.

IMO I don't think Son of Beast will get Timberliners.

It went something like that. I hope it help you out!

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here - but I have heard from a good source that the two trains used on SOB have already been sold and left the park late last year. So, unless new trains are on the way (Timberliners?), I think the answer on whether it will be operating this season or not has already been made.

I doubt it since the "new" trains were modified to fit SoB's track gauging.