The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

My personal guess is that it would be much more inexpensive to do extensive overhauling of the ride rather than tearing it down and trying to find another capital investment to put in its place.

Why are we assuming that something will be put in SoB's place? Leaving it SBNO is cheaper than reopening it, overhauling it, OR tearing it down and immediately putting in a new attraction.

Do you think they should just replace the wood track with tubular steel track on SOB?

It's not the track, it's the support structure. This is where the problem is and there is no easy fix. I would guess that it cost too much to fix the structure and is why they have tried getting by with different trains.

IMO there has been more money wasted trying to patch it up than it would have cost to fix it right the first time.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this before but wanted to share anyhow. This is from RCCA's website...

"Son of Beastâ„¢" for Paramount's King Island - World's Only Looping Wooden Coaster:

In 1997, RCCA approached Paramount's Kings Island with the concept of creating the world's greatest wooden roller coaster ride - the first ever wooden "hyper-coaster": featuring a drop of 214 feet at a 55.7 degree angle, a mile and a third of track (7,032 feet), a top speed of 78 miles per hour; plus taking riders through a 103 foot high loop inversion on the return side of the ride!

Werner Stengel of Munich, Germany designed the ride and its unique loop feature. Structural engineering for the giant wooden structure was performed by William H. Childress, P. E., Wood Structures, Inc. of Atlanta, Georgia. The "new generation" trains capable of performing an inversion were designed and manufactured for the ride by Premier Rides, Inc., Millersville, Maryland. The ride opened to an expectant public in May, 2000 with typical comments from fans like "this is the best ride I've ever been on" and "it's nothing but non-stop speed!"

Why are we assuming that something will be put in SoB's place? Leaving it SBNO is cheaper than reopening it, overhauling it, OR tearing it down and immediately putting in a new attraction.

You must remember that while it may be the cheapest option, it is definitely not the smartest option. Its bad publicity to hear a ride just sitting there to rot that is the next biggest ride in the park. They have already released that they will not reopen this ride this season. I honestly think that shows that we may have some hope for the ride. I doubt they would make that statement without even considering the effect it will have later if they decide to close it for good. If they were going to close the ride down, they probably would have just gotten it over with and said so. There would be no need to have two bad press releases after the whole investigation... it just wouldn't make sense. At least in the general public's opinion, that is... they would just see them as having something to hide as long as that ride was standing. It would probably do more damage SBNO than if it was open reputation wise... The only reason i could see that they would leave it open ended is to try and get the early season pass sales before they announce that they will lose a star attraction (actually, most likely two star attractions...) and not receive anything in the near future. That cant look good, especially with Kings Island being the bright spot on Cedar Fairs financial reports....

My opinion of when its going to pen are as such

1. Mr. Helbrig is waiting to surprise us all with a re-opening on the first day of haunt.

2. It will open this saturday for the walk.

3. It will open on opening day next season.

These are my thoughts.

1. Mr. Helbrig is waiting to surprise us all with a re-opening on the first day of haunt.

These are my thoughts.

Your first 2 ideas are blown off the drawing board. Why would Mr.Helbig lie to all the press and open it on Halloween Haunt opening day? That makes them look bad. Your next hypothesis is totally wrong. First off, the Run Kings Island event is on Sunday morning at 7:00 am. Before the park even opens, and the course goes under SOB, Flight Deck, Next to Firehawk, Under Racer. Are all of these going to be during operation just so the walkers and runners can see them for the little time they pass by? No. So why would SOB?

Your third thought how ever could be true. But that is one where we must wait and see during the off season.

Like I said earlier, I would be shocked if they didn't already know what they were doing with it. Keep in mind, "no decision had been made" regarding Geauga Lake until the end of the season, when it was closed forever, rides sold, and buildings demolished. It just makes more sense to wait until the park is closed to make such an announcement. I'm sure if they announced today that SoB wouldn't reopen and would be torn down in the off season, Guest Relations would be overrun with people complaining about the decision. Look at the petition and demonstration campaign being waged against Busch Gardens over BBW. I would be shocked to see SoB reopen, and I doubt they'll leave it standing as a reminded of its failures come next season.

I respect everyone's opinions on this topic. There are been some very interesting comments/feelings/suggestions on this by a lot of posters. Having said that, I do find it interesting that some of the most respected posters on this forum have commented very little, if at all, on this topic. Take from that what you will.

The only thing we know right now is that it won't operate the rest of the season. I truly believe that there won't be a firm decision by anyone at CF until they're good and ready to make it once they are confident all factors have been taken into account. Whether that's happened yet is speculation, at best. This is a big decision for all involved and I think that time needs to be allotted for that purpose, but it will be interesting to see if there is indeed writing on the wall.

...The only reason i could see that they would leave it open ended is to try and get the early season pass sales before they announce that they will lose a star attraction (actually, most likely two star attractions...) and not receive anything in the near future. That cant look good, especially with Kings Island being the bright spot on Cedar Fairs financial reports....

What is the second one? Did I miss something?

These are my thoughts.

Your first 2 ideas are blown off the drawing board. Why would Mr.Helbig lie to all the press and open it on Halloween Haunt opening day? That makes them look bad. Your next hypothesis is totally wrong. First off, the Run Kings Island event is on Sunday morning at 7:00 am. Before the park even opens, and the course goes under SOB, Flight Deck, Next to Firehawk, Under Racer. Are all of these going to be during operation just so the walkers and runners can see them for the little time they pass by? No. So why would SOB?

Your third thought how ever could be true. But that is one where we must wait and see during the off season.

i did not mean the event on sunday i meant the high wire walk.

...The only reason i could see that they would leave it open ended is to try and get the early season pass sales before they announce that they will lose a star attraction (actually, most likely two star attractions...) and not receive anything in the near future. That cant look good, especially with Kings Island being the bright spot on Cedar Fairs financial reports....

What is the second one? Did I miss something?

Some people are convinced that The Crypt is being removed within the next few years. I, for one is not one of those people.

Wow, this does not look good. If KI loses SOB, KI will only have one record breaking coaster, The Beast.

Vortex: First to have six inversions.

Flight of Fear: First LIM-launched coaster.

Reptar: First kids inverted coaster.

Racer: Tallest/fastest.

I meant for a record that still holds the title, not for a firsts. So far the only two coasters at KI that sill hold the record are Son of Beast and The Beast.

Wow, this does not look good. If KI loses SOB, KI will only have one record breaking coaster, The Beast.

What is Racer "Tallest/Faster" for?

Reliability records matter. Safety records matter. To the average park guest, record breaking coasters mean very, very little, if anything at all....

It doesn't matter that much to me either. It just sounds cool that my local amusement park has the tallest, fastest wooden rollercoaster. I feel a tad pit envy for the people that live in Jersey (Kingda Ka). There are not much amusement parks that I can get to, only KI. I know this is way off topic but how far is Holidayworld from the Butler County area?

What's so bad about Great Adventure? It looks like a great park. They have three B&M's.

Anyway, if SOB is taken down (I hope it doesn't) I hope KI installs a B&M inverted. Diamondback is the only B&M coaster I've been on. It's now my favorite coaster. Awesome airtime, and extremely smooth. My dream would be a record breaking B&M inverted. Of course it won't happen but there is nothing wrong with dreaming.

Height: 215 feet

Drop: 200 feet

Speed: 75 MPH

Lengh: 6,450 feet

Inversions: 9 2 Loops, two corkscrews, 1 boomerang, 2 barrel rolls, and another inversion that I can't thing of the name of and I'm too lazy to look it up. It's the second inversion on FOF.

First loop height: 150 feet

I'm no engineer but it sounds cool to me.

In my humble opinion, Great Adventure is simply one of the best regional, seasonal parks in the United States of America. But, familiarity breeds contempt. The park also has quite a few issues, many of which revolve around the removal of flat rides and past issues of understaffing...to the point that the park has a reputation to this day that it does not deserve. A great time can be had there, but many of the locals remember all too well Gary Story's Six Flags...a place where labor was cut, maintenance was deferred and new rides were emphasized to the exclusion of nearly everything else, particularly customer service.

What is Racer "Tallest/Faster" for?

Racer if I am not mistaken was tallest and fastest coaster in the world when it opened in 1972.