The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

...Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that any person who has any common sense should know that a wooden coaster that soars over 200 feet in the air is not going to feel good, OK....

If you are asking me if that's okay and if I, among others, agree with you...for me, the answer is an emphatic no...it is not okay and/or I have no common sense. Are you trying to tell me that if El Toro were just 19 feet, 1 inch higher than it is, it wouldn't feel good? Pish Posh. Utter rubbish I say. There is no rule that says that any wooden coaster that soars over 200 feet in the air is not going to feel good. That is perhaps the most specious, ridiculous statement I have ever read here, bar none, and that's saying something.

Here's what I think Kings Island will do. They'll keep it closed for half of next year and then open it back up to see if people will still ride it. If they don't, then it will be SBNO for a year or more, so Cedar Fair can figure out how to get rid of the ride AND replace it with something else (or at least promise that it will be replaced like Delirium was for King Cobra).

So, you postulate that Cedar Fair could open the ride up after half a season next year to "see if people will still ride it." Do I smell a theory that perhaps the sole reason it is closed is so that they can reopen after half a season next year? Sigh. Best stick to playing Roller Coaster Tycoon. Dvo, whose post is right above mine, understands the park industry well. You might want to read his insightful post several times.

I just don't think it was logical to build a wooden coaster of such an extreme height. I feel that SOB was built for record breaking purposes only, and not for comfort of its riders. SOB, as beautiful of a structure as it is, hurts to ride.

Coasters can be great without reaching staggering heights (I realize how hypocritical this sounds, coming from me! :lol: ). A great example of this is Maverick at Cedar Point. The first hill is only 105 feet tall, yet it is a favorite of many.

I am going tomorrow so I hope it is open on time then, but I have to say that to me it does not seem to run as well in the morning. Might just be me, but for some reason I feel it to be a little rougher and a lot slower than rides later in the day and especially night.

I am going tomorrow so I hope it is open on time then, but I have to say that to me it does not seem to run as well in the morning. Might just be me, but for some reason I feel it to be a little rougher and a lot slower than rides later in the day and especially night.

You do realize this is the Son of Beast discussion thread, right? Or did the software here put your Beast ERT reply in this thread instead?

Terpy, who KNOWS that some of his replies have sometimes (not often) ended up in the wrong thread due to some kind of computer glitch

Dvo, whose post is right above mine, understands the park industry well. You might want to read his insightful post several times.

Yeah that might have to go in my signature or something. Thanks terp! :)

i disagree a bit on the whole SBNO for a season. Cedar Fair tends to be pretty decisive when a decision is made.

Examples from Geauga Lake:

Close on Sunday, coasters begin remove following week

Villian not sold at auction, demolished within a month.

It's not like someone is going to buy Son of Beast and move it to another park. if they make the decision that it isn't in their best interest to keep, i bet its down by February. The decision to operate again isn't necessarily all in their hands; if i were to guess they probably are having difficult discussions with their insurance carrier. not to mention 9 years of bad press... and how old is it? 10?

im over the whole sob issue, either open the darn thing to make people happy, or...

... create the worlds biggest bonfire, and sell tix's cause i know one individual who would pay and be there with a bag of marshmellows, bars of hershey's, box of grahm crackers, and a roasting stick!!!

Whoever was saying I was stupid about adding on to SOB doesn't realize I was just dreaming. Obviously, they aren't going to add anything onto the ride. The reason I said it was going to probably open up in the middle of the summer next year is because that's what happened in `07. Honestly, if I were the park owner, I'd just keep it open to the public, but let them know it's going on the chopping block soon.

im over the whole sob issue, either open the darn thing to make people happy, or...

... create the worlds biggest bonfire, and sell tix's cause i know one individual who would pay and be there with a bag of marshmellows, bars of hershey's, box of grahm crackers, and a roasting stick!!!

That could be more hazardous than riding it... I believe you are not supposed to cook over a fire fueled by treated lumber ;)

You do realize this is the Son of Beast discussion thread, right? Or did the software here put your Beast ERT reply in this thread instead?

Terpy, who KNOWS that some of his replies have sometimes (not often) ended up in the wrong thread due to some kind of computer glitch

That is strange...must have been one of those glitches. You are right it was suppossed to be in The Beast ERT thread.

I had a crazy dream that Sob was rebuilt and made as the first wooden power launched coaster in a style of top thrill dragster.Now that would be neat.

I do hope that they keep sob and just make adjustments to fix it.Cant they just remove some of the cars to slow it down and help smooth it out?

They already got new cars (w/ 24 per car instead of the original 36). How did the ride work in your dream, just wondering. That would be the neatest thing.

I guess we will all have to endure yet another round of CF's famed guessing game. There are just so many things that are being questioned for the 2010 season, whether it be the fate of SoB, the Nick licensing, the crypt, or an additional flat in new space. We will just have to play out this round of the game and speculate.

I have to say, I would not be surprised in the least if CF removed it without warning. They already got loads of bad press after the SoB and FH incidents, I could just imagine this splattered on the front page of a certain newspaper: "Kings Island to Remove Unsafe Rollercoaster After Two Broken Necks, One Death".

IMO I think they removed all the signage for SOB for Club Blood. And they are taking advantage that it will be closed this season and use the Son of Beast que house for the Club Blood line. It would be easier to maintain then having it stretch back into the woods like it use to do with Topgun. My bets are on that Son of Beast gets a "Texas Giant, Bizzaro" redue.

My bets are on that Son of Beast gets a "Texas Giant, Bizzaro" redue.

I'd like to see this, but I think the real question is what would it cost and how would that investment benefit the park going forward versus investing those dollars elsewhere. Considering that Texas Giant is scheduled for a $10 Million "fix" in 2010, this leaves me wondering: How much more would it cost for SoB considering it is ~50% longer/taller than Texas Giant, there is no guarantee that the outcome is a far improved ride for a wooden hyper, and the ride has such a poor history that even a rebuild may not redeem it in many peoples eyes.

I hope to ride SoB again, but I wouldn't be surprised if not.

^I'd very much like to see a retracking, smooth it out.

I agree with a lot of people. It was a REALLY good idea. The loop and everything. The approach could have been better though. If CCI or GCI would have done it (Gravity Group wasn't founded, and I don't think Intamin built woodies in 2000), it would have been a lot smoother. If it would have been more airtime based, like Voyage or El Toro, it would have been more eventful.

Still a pretty good ride. The loop was awesome, too.