The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

^ It said that since like June 20th

I know that... Someone said they need to say Son of Beast is closed on the website, and so I posted a link and a quote telling him it says that.

And that's the quickest KI has ever updated their website.

No, it's said that since late June, It's just someone asked if it said that and so I posted it.

As an idea, I thought and still think SoB is not a fail

Engineering and Construction - ok, I'll agree to the epic fail opinion here. You'd have thought this was the coaster built back before high end computer aided design.

But I'll also say, in my opinion, there is no reason that it couldn't have been designed and built successfully as a wooden coaster. Unfortunately it wasn't and that will mean it will continue to cause issues (for riders and the park) until it goes through a major rebuild or is dismantled.

But I'll also say, in my opinion, there is no reason that it couldn't have been designed and built successfully as a wooden coaster. Unfortunately it wasn't and that will mean it will continue to cause issues (for riders and the park) until it goes through a major rebuild or is dismantled.

Completely agree with you on this one.

The idea behind building SOB was the loop and the helixes, as if the ONLY good part of The Beast was the helix and in order to one-up it was to install a loop. Not being an engineer, I can't understand why one woodie is smooth and another isn't, but it seems to me that too many untried ideas were used all at the same time - heighth, wide track trains, roughly inexpierenced builders (that's almost "roughly expierenced builders" with it being so rough), loop, speed, almost all circles - it's almost too bad they couldn't have built a coaster that could be "added on to" in future years (yeah, I know it sounds crazy) but little by little adding things one at a time until they reached their desired goal. Now, they have to "back track" (pardon the pun) to get the thing rideable enough so as not to endure the *****ing that goes on or the claims of inury that all too often occur. Think about it....if you tried to build a model of SOB with Knex and you started out simple, and it worked, you could then add features - one at a time - making sure all was ok before proceeding with the next feature. Trims can be installed - but trims can also be removed. Nothing is impossible - even a loop could be re-installed. Lest we not forget, it was a BIG loop - maybe a new one could be smaller and different trains could handle it. With all of the extra land beyond SOB, they could add some straight sections and reduce the intense speed of the rosebowl. The ideas are endless, and since the thing is already built, re-arranging a few things wouldn't be all that difficult or cost all that much. A little thinking outside the box is needed.

Please add more ideas as you might envision them.

right. wednesday, the last day i saw it, it wasnt raining all day or anything.... not good. i saw 2 of the Son of Beast crew too, they were working drop zone, which was closed at opening. i found it humorous they would be stuck with another down ride when i saw them...

not to add to the fuel, but i was there today for ert (8 rides on The Beast, whoohoo!) but Son of Beasts trains now have tarps over them. i am pretty sure nothing is going to happen in the near future...

It takes about 5 minutes to remove covers from trains. Don't forget that it's rained a lot recently. It's entirely reasonable that they'd protect the trains from the elements. I doubt this has anything to do with the operation of the ride.

^ I think it should be the other way around. Steel Supports that can actually handle the forces, and re-track it to actually fit the cars.

That would be like entirely rebuilding SOB. I think there need to just add steel track.

Why would you add steel track? You would have to pre-fabricate it all off site. I see steel supports being added to the wooden supports to make them stronger.

^ I think it should be the other way around. Steel Supports that can actually handle the forces, and re-track it to actually fit the cars.

That would be like entirely rebuilding SOB. I think there need to just add steel track.

Why would you add steel track? You would have to pre-fabricate it all off site. I see steel supports being added to the wooden supports to make them stronger.

And that I don't understand why they didn't do instead of removing the loop.

Look I understand both sides of the picture, but I sadly feel like I may start crossing the picket line so to speak. I am a SOB fan and have been since it was built. I felt this ride was my generations F Yeah Ride. I was born in 85, so most rides were either built or torn down before I was born. I mean King Cobra was cool but only because it was a standing ride, and top gun was built but really it seemed like a passive ride to me, but SOB was well one big sob. But now I feel that this ride may be more of a hassle than it was meant to be. Questionable building techniques led to a ride failure which led to a ride redesign, and eventual changing to lighter cars to put less stress on the ride, but that still has not fixed the over aggresiveness of the ride. If SOB does stay open the park should make sure they do not open themselves up to any liability and put up many signs talking about the injury possibilities due to such a large coaster, or the park should consider this another Bat. I hate to put it like that but if it stays open people will still ride it, people will still get hurt, people may or may not still die on the ride. The ride was never classified as unsafe, except for the time it broke if I am correct. But if people will still get hurt the park needs to make sure people know they are literally putting themselves in harms way. This way the park can say, look we are doing all we can to make the ride safer but if something does happen they cant be sued. But if the ride is torn down it will be a sad day.

I think people want trims because it seems the only sensible way to keep the ride open with out killing a train full of people, I kid.... mostly. If trims returns SOB to a fun, mostly safe ride then great. But I agree this ride is becoming a hassle for the park, a PR nightmare......

if they put trims on the ride i certainly will not be a rider, and will be very ticked. after riding The Beast first train of the day being the only rider and being almost crawling to a halt with every single trim grabbing hard i am certainly not a fan of trims. Son of Beast is rough. Trims would just make the whole ride, well pointless....

for real? they have more than fixed the problem with the cracked wood. They have inspected the thing at least twice since this incident happened, and daily before its closure. Besides, it doesn't make the ride useless. Thats like saying flight commander was useless because a drunk girl named Candy got out of her restraints and fell to her death. wrong, that just means there was an incident, nothing more...

I am curious if trims would even be an option for SOB. If it got trimmed I could see it having roll back issues? Just a thought.

I see that happening too. I don't think trims is an option. And as I have said before, Wood can not handle those forces! This is becoming such a hassle I don't see why its around anymore.

no i agree having one issue does not deserve to have the ride destroyed, but I think having the thing the way it is now is just asking for trouble, in the future. I want to see this ride last a long time and be enjoyed, but as someone has said before since the removal of the loop the ride has lost its luster to most "normal" people, and the roughness of the ride will not keep people coming back. I meant the comment about having a train of people flying off the track as a dark joke, meaning we all know it cant happen but if it did oh god..... but for some reason the ride has yet to be reopened. If I am right after the girl fell out of flight commander didnt the ride get closed down shortly there after.........

for real? they have more than fixed the problem with the cracked wood. They have inspected the thing at least twice since this incident happened, and daily before its closure. Besides, it doesn't make the ride useless. Thats like saying flight commander was useless because a drunk girl named Candy got out of her restraints and fell to her death. wrong, that just means there was an incident, nothing more...

The problem isn't that there was one incident- there has been a pattern of incidents since the ride opening...

a pattern of incidents in which the ride was not at fault. would you close down the white water rafting companies because people might get hurt and or die by going white water rafting? i really think this is just an issue of people not being responsible enough to choose if they should ride or not. They really should put up the sign that says the ride with throw you around, and that you should consider this before riding. That being said, i agree that the ride and its spiel is warning enough and that shouldnt be blamed on the park for not having sufficient warning.