The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

a pattern of incidents in which the ride was not at fault. would you close down the white water rafting companies because people might get hurt and or die by going white water rafting? i really think this is just an issue of people not being responsible enough to choose if they should ride or not. They really should put up the sign that says the ride with throw you around, and that you should consider this before riding. That being said, i agree that the ride and its spiel is warning enough and that shouldnt be blamed on the park for not having sufficient warning.

I understand your post but with whitewater rafting companies you sign a release form saying you are putting your life in danger.... I think this falls under the category that people dont want to put their life in danger, and you all are forgetting a guy died because of blunt force trauma to his torso, cause by the ride. He, I am almost sure, did not have pre-existing injuries, and the latest chick who was in ICU because of the ride(or so she claims because of the ride) did not have pre-existing injuries. The one dude who broke his neck did not know he had an issue till the ride broke his neck.

How would you like it if lets say I punched you in the stomach and your appendix exploded because it was swollen but you didnt know it? Would you sue me or would you say well I had a condition so its my fault

a pattern of incidents in which the ride was not at fault. would you close down the white water rafting companies because people might get hurt and or die by going white water rafting? i really think this is just an issue of people not being responsible enough to choose if they should ride or not. They really should put up the sign that says the ride with throw you around, and that you should consider this before riding. That being said, i agree that the ride and its spiel is warning enough and that shouldnt be blamed on the park for not having sufficient warning.

I understand your post but with whitewater rafting companies you sign a release form saying you are putting your life in danger.... I think this falls under the category that people dont want to put their life in danger, and you all are forgetting a guy died because of blunt force trauma to his torso, cause by the ride. He, I am almost sure, did not have pre-existing injuries, and the latest chick who was in ICU because of the ride(or so she claims because of the ride) did not have pre-existing injuries. The one dude who broke his neck did not know he had an issue till the ride broke his neck.

How would you like it if lets say I punched you in the stomach and your appendix exploded because it was swollen but you didnt know it? Would you sue me or would you say well I had a condition so its my fault

Actually, we don't know if the most recent lady had pre-existing injuries. Screaming too much can cause a blood vessel to burst, so that may have well been her fault. She could've hit her head somewhere else, too. The two guys with the broken necks may or may not have known they had a rare type of arthritis (the article I read only said their doctors didn't tell them not to ride roller coasters).

Also, punching someone in the stomach and causing their appendix to burst is different then someone being hurt on a roller coaster because of pre-existing injuries. Maybe I'm just not understanding your point. :blink:

i dont know about the guy, but actually every time the ride has been down except for the helix 206 incident it was ruled pre existing, so yes it was pre existing. That lady wouldnt have her medical files released to prove it, but if they said the ride was not at fault, thats almost a guarantee that the injury was caused from a pre existing condition. When you enter a park, or a ride you are basically signing a release form. The signs clearly indicate that is is an extreme thrill ride. On the spiel it warns you that it is forceful, and turbulent and you shouldnt ride if you have a medical condition. On the sign it states that if you are not sure you should consult with your physician before riding. Not knowing you had a condition is not an excuse. and really? if you punched anyone's stomach its highly doubtful you would burst their appendix.

for real? they have more than fixed the problem with the cracked wood. They have inspected the thing at least twice since this incident happened, and daily before its closure. Besides, it doesn't make the ride useless. Thats like saying flight commander was useless because a drunk girl named Candy got out of her restraints and fell to her death. wrong, that just means there was an incident, nothing more...

Comparing SOB to Flight Commander is irrelevant. The lady caused harm to herself by trying to free herself during the operation of the ride. SOB on the other hand, The lady that busted her brain vessel and the people that were part of the incident on 2006 were just riding the ride. SOB causes problems. Flight Commander didn't.

for real? they have more than fixed the problem with the cracked wood. They have inspected the thing at least twice since this incident happened, and daily before its closure. Besides, it doesn't make the ride useless. Thats like saying flight commander was useless because a drunk girl named Candy got out of her restraints and fell to her death. wrong, that just means there was an incident, nothing more...

Comparing SOB to Flight Commander is irrelevant. The lady caused harm to herself by trying to free herself during the operation of the ride. SOB on the other hand, The lady that busted her brain vessel and the people that were part of the incident on 2006 were just riding the ride. SOB causes problems. Flight Commander didn't.

The recent incident could have been caused by many things. The 2006 incident was the ride's fault.

well im saying lets say you and I agree to box a few rounds..... and your appendix is swollen from you being sick (and you do not know it) if I punched your stomach and it burst is it my fault or yours? and I am pretty sure you can punch someone and have their appendix burst, heck an apendix can burst and you do not know it did till you get incredibly sick..... and I agree the ride is an extreme thrill ride but I do not agree that just by walking into the park you are agreeing to sign your life away. I would bet a pay check that if you stood infront of the line of SOB and said would you mind signing this in case you die, you would have more people go.... you know I will just ride Top Gun instead..... Yeah some people will still ride it because its a thrill but normal people dont ride rides if they know there is a good chance of injury or death....

the only reason i compared the two is to make the argument that Son of Beast is not useless. i know the incidents are uncomparable. the point is, Son of Beast is for extreme thrill seekers. the train is for anyone. Spongebob is for families to ride together. The park just needs a way to have Son of Beast marked more clearly to the general public who by far are roaming idiots that ignore signage and verbal warnings completely. You do not have a good chance of getting injured by riding Son of Beast, at least any more than just resting or taking an aspirin wouldnt help. it has been open for 9 years. Ohios ride and safety department would not have cleared an unsafe ride to open as is. Im pretty sure that by todays safety standards ohio as a whole has an outstanding record of keeping amusement rides safe with their inspection routines compared to other states or even countries.

I brought this up somewhere but I feel that SOB is becoming our generations (the people that are in their 20s) version of The Bat. A great ride but a few design issues doomed it..... I understand people dont get hurt very often and you are right the ride should be denoted somehow to the general public that this is not a normal roller coaster, for the average park goer. But does KI know something we dont since the ride has still not opened yet?

why are people saying the supports cant handle the forces, when they obviously have for years now? thats not even why the ride is currently down... they obviously can handle the forces, the question is how long? im pretty sure by now that a ton of The Beasts structure has been rebuilt during its lifespan. Just because it needs more maintenance doesnt make it unsafe. that argument does not fly with me.

but you said that the ride could not handle the forces, which is totally different from saying that it is worn down quicker which i would have to agree with.

Well it was your point that made me think that the ride is breaking down :rolleyes: ... SOB is sort of Robin Williams in the movie Jack where he ages very quickly....

Wood wasn't meant to handle a 2 ton train zooming by at 75+ mph. Wood was not meant to go 200'+. During the construction of the lift hill it collapsed. Twice. The maintenance team has to walk the track every morning and replace boards.

Thought is all this thread would be about is "trashing" sob! Wish this thread was never made!!!! Would say a few things about people wanting this ride gone, but won't. I won't be in this thread anymore cause it isn't right for people just to put the ride down..... As have been said before... "If ya don't like the ride then DON'T ride it"!!!! :angry:

im pretty sure that most woodies have wood replaced almost daily. and at paperg i really do love the ride. its my favorite ride. the last few times i have been to Kings Island i just ride Drop Tower to look at it, and sit on the bench overlooking its lift hill and drop the one in front of days of thunder just to look at it for a while.

The lady caused harm to herself by trying to free herself during the operation of the ride.

No....The lady was intoxicated while riding, and slipped out of the restraints while riding.

I say keep SOB open for a few years (until CF can afford this), then tear down SOB, build a new area, and rebuild SOB as a hybrid (wood track, steel supports) in the new area.

Let me get this straight....

You want to....Keep this money pit open a few more years, then tear it down, then REBUILD it with steel (More expensive) and wood?

Umm....what?!?!?!?!

the only reason i compared the two is to make the argument that Son of Beast is not useless. i know the incidents are uncomparable. the point is, Son of Beast is for extreme thrill seekers. the train is for anyone. Spongebob is for families to ride together. The park just needs a way to have Son of Beast marked more clearly to the general public who by far are roaming idiots that ignore signage and verbal warnings completely. You do not have a good chance of getting injured by riding Son of Beast, at least any more than just resting or taking an aspirin wouldnt help. it has been open for 9 years. Ohios ride and safety department would not have cleared an unsafe ride to open as is. Im pretty sure that by todays safety standards ohio as a whole has an outstanding record of keeping amusement rides safe with their inspection routines compared to other states or even countries.

1. Well, if the park were to put up a sign that basically says "This ride could really hurt you", that would expose that the park knew about said problem, yet they chose not to fix it. Imagine what a lawyer would do with that situation. And, would that get you out of liability to put up a sign about a problem, instead of fixing it?

2. They did not clear the ride to open. If they cleared the ride to open, they would have said "The ride is operating correctly and is clear to reopen". They said that they found "No irregularities". That does not mean it can open.

Thought is all this thread would be about is "trashing" sob! Wish this thread was never made!!!! Would say a few things about people wanting this ride gone, but won't. I won't be in this thread anymore cause it isn't right for people just to put the ride down..... As have been said before... "If ya don't like the ride then DON'T ride it"!!!! :angry:

Sigh.

paperg, The Son of Beast lovers have been lighter on the "Leave Son of Beast alone" comments. They have realized that people in this thread lately are NOT bashing Son of Beast. You, however, do not seem to get it. We are NOT bashing Son of Beast. We are having a reasonable and polite discussion about the maintenance, design and status of the ride. However bleak it may be for the said ride, we are not bashing it. We are not bashing it. You seem to think that whenever someone does not say something positive about the ride, they are bashing it and it gives you the right to tell them in essence to shut up. We have a right to voice our opinion anyway. I do agree some take it to far, but this thread is not all trashing sob. Others have realized that, and some have even joined in the discussion. You don't seem to get that yet.

Jackson, trying to sound as polite as he can, for he does not wish to throw stones, rather, to inform of their actions in hopes that they will improve....

Let me get this straight....

You want to....Keep this money pit open a few more years, then tear it down, then REBUILD it with steel (More expensive) and wood?

Umm....what?!?!?!?!

Not exactly. I should have worded it better.

I meant to open it for the rest of the year (that way, if it's safe to open, there is no way they can be sued for false advertising, because SOB is still on the map), and let it sit SBNO for a few years until CF can tear it down and add a new area.

And you're acting like coasters have to either be steel or wood. Look at Voyage. It's supports are steel.

Hey Gang, I feel we are all getting way ahead of ourselves here since we have no idea whats going on. But with that being said I feel this season or next may be one of the last times we get to ride SOB..... but if it is torn down something new will rise in its place.....

Sigh.

paperg, The Son of Beast lovers have been lighter on the "Leave Son of Beast alone" comments. They have realized that people in this thread lately are NOT bashing Son of Beast. You, however, do not seem to get it. We are NOT bashing Son of Beast. We are having a reasonable and polite discussion about the maintenance, design and status of the ride. However bleak it may be for the said ride, we are not bashing it. We are not bashing it. You seem to think that whenever someone does not say something positive about the ride, they are bashing it and it gives you the right to tell them in essence to shut up. We have a right to voice our opinion anyway. I do agree some take it to far, but this thread is not all trashing sob. Others have realized that, and some have even joined in the discussion. You don't seem to get that yet.

Jackson, trying to sound as polite as he can, for he does not wish to throw stones, rather, to inform of their actions in hopes that they will improve....

Paperg is right. If you do not like Son of Beast, than don't ride it. Let the people who do like it ride it. What if I didn't like Diamondback, I would get yelled at if I said "I hate Diamondback, they just need to remove it because I don't like it!" And you guy's aren't really being polite, "Tear it down" "Burn it down" ect... is NOT polite at all. I realize I'm not being polite either but it's because I'm getting tired of people saying how much they hate it. And than you guy's try to say "We want it removed because that's valuable land that could have an expansion with alot of coasters!" Ugh, yes true that is alot of land. But Do you really think Cedar Fair is going to remove Son of Beast to expand Kings Island when theres nothing even wrong with it? No, they aren't. It's going to cost millions of dollars to remove it, than KI would lose the most wooden track record, tallest wooden coaster record, fastest wooden coaster record, biggest wooden structure record. And than Millions of Dollars to replace it with expanding, and than for a coaster or ride that's another couple million. It's not going to happen. Cedar Fair isn't the kind of company that removes coasters for other coasters. They remove Log Flumes to make coasters, and relocate flat rides for coasters....!

not to split hairs.... but no one knows for sure if theres nothing wrong with the coaster.....if there was nothing wrong with it we would have seen it being tested sometime in the past week. But who knows tomorrow morning it could start testing and nothing is wrong.... and not everyone has said tear it down, alot of us have said fix the issues with it or redesign it....

I've said this before - it seems that a lot of people do not realize the cost of things. In this day & age, when a BMW and Mercedes Benz are becoming ordinary everyday cars, I guess I can see why. But, in my day, spending $5 on a BOARD game was considered a lot of money, let alone $50 today on a video game - and people buy those by the dozen!

To build SOB it took some bucks and if there's nothing wrong with it, it would be a mortal sin to just destroy it. My backround of 1st generation Americans could repair anything - and that's what may need to be done in this case. Nobody I grew up with threw anything out - they fixed it. And I believe SOB can be fixed too. The REAL problem, and this could happen with any ride, are the people riding it. I know that if I go on a spinning ride I get sick and throw up, so I don't go on them. People should know that a coaster is gonna throw you around - it's not like the thing is out to kill you, but that's the lawyer language coming into play - meaning more lawsuits which are almost always non-credible.

Or maybe I should go on a spinning ride, puke at the visitor center, and sue for the overpriced food I bought at the park that never got to nourish my body properly. It should be worth at least a few bucks, minus the 1/3 my attorney will take!