The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

Perhaps they are protecting the trains from the elements for a while. I was thinking they may hire a new crew to run it during haunt. That being several weeks away they would want to keep the moving parts from the elements. Also, if it were completely done for the year, I would figure they'd just yank the trains off the track and begin the winter rehab on them.

The lady caused harm to herself by trying to free herself during the operation of the ride.

No....The lady was intoxicated while riding, and slipped out of the restraints while riding.

No. The lady was intoxicated. Kept repeating she wanted out during the ride operation and decided to free herself. Both my parents worked at the park during this time and they both told me the same story.

@agentsob why do you think they would get a new crew to run SOB? they still have the old one. ive seen them in pieces and together at white water canyon, and more recently drop zone. I doubt they would use a different untested crew especially when the crew obviously handled the situation properly or would not still be around as crew.

Perhaps they are protecting the trains from the elements for a while. I was thinking they may hire a new crew to run it during haunt. That being several weeks away they would want to keep the moving parts from the elements. Also, if it were completely done for the year, I would figure they'd just yank the trains off the track and begin the winter rehab on them.

I agree with your last point. As long as the trains are still there, we still have a chance.

We will know for sure by next year, though. I figure CF would not want it SBNO next year. With it being such a prominent feature, I'm sure they would not want to spend 2010 with the GP spreading false rumors about why it wasn't running!

I agree with your last point. As long as the trains are still there, we still have a chance.

We will know for sure by next year, though. I figure CF would not want it SBNO next year. With it being such a prominent feature, I'm sure they would not want to spend 2010 with the GP spreading false rumors about why it wasn't running!

Agreed about the last part there. My friend that likes Kings Island tried to convince me the train collapsed during operation and its getting torn down... Which it is NOT.

The REAL problem, and this could happen with any ride, are the people riding it. I know that if I go on a spinning ride I get sick and throw up, so I don't go on them. People should know that a coaster is gonna throw you around - it's not like the thing is out to kill you, but that's the lawyer language coming into play - meaning more lawsuits which are almost always non-credible.

Your comparison doesn't work. I too avoid spinning rides, because history has shown that I don't tolerate them very well. Similarly, history has shown that I can tolerate all of the coasters at Kings Island. So I decided to ride SoB one day. But the difference is, SoB inflicted so much pain on my spine that I truly feared I was going to receive some level of back injury riding it. You generalize that "a coaster is gonna throw you around" but in my opinion, SoB is in a league all its own in terms of ride roughness. I don't know offhand what "intensity level" they have it rated at, but I think they should rate it more aggressive than Vortex/DB/Beast.

Something about the jerky ride characteristic on SoB just really wrenches my spine around, unlike any other coaster there. I also question the amount of reaction force the structure and components must endure as the result of a loaded train, running that fast and that rough. The repitition of force causes fatigue, and fatigue eventually causes failure. For these reasons, I've made the executive decision to not ride it again if/when it reopens. If others want to ride it, by all means I hope SoB reopens and people can enjoy it again. But I hope for their sake that the ride really is safe.

^ I know that it is more intense than other coasters, but even riding the Blue Streak at CP after they strengthened it a bit made it a lot rougher than usual, causing a bit of pain for me, unlke the year before (this was 2 years ago). So, if they fix it, it should be smoother - but it will require some thinking outside the box. And yes, I , too, will be leary about trying it out again after any modifications. BUT - people should know that any coaster is gonna throw you around a bit and be careful when considering taking a ride on it.

The lady caused harm to herself by trying to free herself during the operation of the ride.

No....The lady was intoxicated while riding, and slipped out of the restraints while riding.

No. The lady was intoxicated. Kept repeating she wanted out during the ride operation and decided to free herself. Both my parents worked at the park during this time and they both told me the same story.

No. She was drunk and kept flipping her pod. The restraint next to her was up, and she slid over and fell out. they had no seat dividers when that happened.

actually i sent them an email about how it was rediculous that they were lying. now they have changed their saying to what they sent me back.
Son of Beast remains closed at this time. Though I’d like to have an exact date, it would be inappropriate to speculate on when the ride may re-open. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the ride’s closure.

Well what is the reason there are giving for it's closure?

actually i sent them an email about how it was rediculous that they were lying. now they have changed their saying to what they sent me back.
Son of Beast remains closed at this time. Though I'd like to have an exact date, it would be inappropriate to speculate on when the ride may re-open. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the ride's closure.

I find it pretty rediculous that you would send an email like that. I know you may be upset about SOB being closed, but that's uncalled for. They are saying what they needed to say. When the investigation, was ongoing, they probably weren't allowed to comment on what was being found. They probably have not released an official statement yet because they are still figuring out what would be the best course of action for the ride. Should they keep it open now, close it for the rest of the season and do some extreme overhauls on it, should they keep it closed until Haunt and do some repairs before then, or should they keep it closed for forever? There are a lot of things to figure out for this situation and they want to make the best decision.

it used to be "down for maintenance". but now thats all they will say. they will not answer any questions about it.

and it doesnt matter what the reasons are, they could just say it is currently down, like they do now. I know they arent going to release any info, and i dont plan for them to. I just dont like being lied to on the phone constantly over and over again.

Son of Beast remains closed at this time. Though I'd like to have an exact date, it would be inappropriate to speculate on when the ride may re-open. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the ride's closure.

Well what is the reason there are giving for it's closure?

Does the park need a reason? No. They will release information when it's needed. I have a reason for you. It is closed right now because an investigation into an incident that allegedly occured on the ride is currently being completed. When this investigation is completed, we will release our findings, and then make a decision as to what will happen to the ride.

Maybe. But maybe they're not doing maintenance or looking at the ride. Maybe CF and KI are just taking extra time to come up with a good plan for the ride, whether they will open it without doing anything, or making some type of changes. Also, did anyone ever see people from the OAD at KI and expecting SOB?

I was thinking about this during my recent visit.

We did a 2 day visit. On the second day, I became dehydrated. Really bad. Had to go back to the hotel for a rest, bathroom visit, and as much water as I could put down.

Once I came back, I decided to test my system on Flight Deck. I was so sick that I almost passed out. Got the blurred vision, light headed, it was kind of scary.

I got to thinking about SoB, and it's reputation. I am really bad about not drinking water, and I have been dehydrated several times in the past. For someone else though, it would be really easy to blame being sick like that, and getting woozy, sore, on riding SoB.

Sometimes a reputation can get a ride blamed for stuff that it had nothing to with!

I might have blamed my sickness on SoB myself, had it been open, because I can tell you, I would have ridden it!

I keep on having these random changes of heart towards the ride. I am usually all, I do not like the ride I hope they tear it down. Now though since I have been at the park a couple of times with it closed it has made me want it back more and more. Right now I am at the point to where if they are going to tear it down, not likely, then I hope they put something worth the tearing down in. On the other hand I hope it opens back up and stays because it is such a staple of the park, in my opinion.

But seriously... there is probably a lot more to this than people out working on the ride itself. Insurance, red tape/paperwork, etc.....

I can't believe that CF, who slaps seat belts and trim brakes on almost every single ride, or their insurance company, hasn't had conniptions over SoB yet.

But seriously... there is probably a lot more to this than people out working on the ride itself. Insurance, red tape/paperwork, etc.....

I can't believe that CF, who slaps seat belts and trim brakes on almost every single ride, or their insurance company, hasn't had conniptions over SoB yet.

Maybe they are having one right now, and that's what's causing the delay in reopening? :lol:

I am not surprised at the lack of sightings of activity on the ride itself. I would expect that there is a large amount of activity behind closed doors in offices and conference rooms instead. Who knows, maybe we will indeed see workers crawling around on SoB like little ants at some point. But whatever the case may be, the park certainly doesn't owe anything to the general public or patrons in general. They'll open the thing, or not, or make an announcement, or not, whenever they're dang well ready to. I'd rather they take their time on this than rush to open the thing back up prematurely. (But then again, I'm not an SoB fan so I'm not out anything :rolleyes: )

I didn't do it. Someone else did it on another thread on here, after finding it on another fansite, which got it from yet another fansite. I think it is weird how it can be done. Also, it leads me to saying the former Paramount parks need new websites even more since that CAN be done, when it shouldn't.

But whatever the case may be, the park certainly doesn't owe anything to the general public or patrons in general.

See now I disagree with that, even though that is how most places feel. We are the people who keep these places open with our hard earned money, so yeah, I think they do owe us something here. Without us and our money, the parks are gone and all those people who think they didn't owe us anything are now unemployed and getting a real eye opener.