7/31 TR - Rain or shine, great time at KI!

cholderfield

Had a great time at the park today! It was a nice visit, especially considering I went to Kings Dominion last week, and while it a nice enough of park, it doesn't compare to KI in my opinion.

We arrived at the park at a little after 10am, it was busier than I thought it would be considering the weather (mostly cloudy, 40% chance of rain - more on that later) but it wasn't bad. We headed to Diamondback first (like everyone else apparently) and saw the line was at over 60 minutes already, so we held off on that one. We headed back to the Crypt, which was closed on my previous visit to the park. Neither of us had ridden it since it was Tomb Raider. I've kept up on here about how the ride program has changed a few times, seemingly going from one extreme (very intense ride cycle) or the other (yawn). I read on here how bad it was, but I had to see it for myself. Is this ride still really a thrill level of 5? This was the only lowpoint of the day, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised with how bad everyone was bashing it, but come on! What is the point of this ride now? It spins a couple of times, and as far as I could tell it only went upside down twice, with very little force. We were both booing after the ride was over...as were most of the people around us... On a related note, I still don't understand why Kings Dominion's Crypt still has much of the original themeing while ours was ripped to shreds and is almost a small Ferris wheel in a dark building. Does anyone know why this is? I know the rides themselves are different, but the KD ride still looks very much like Tomb Raider. BTW, The Crypt was a walk on ride.

Girlfriend and I rode The Beast next - a much better ride than last time! The last time I rode it, it felt like it was barely moving and very rough - however, today's ride was fast and wasn't too rough at all! The wait was about 10-15 minutes.

Headed to Vortex next, which was another great ride - the best ride I've had on Vortex in awhile. On a side note, I rode Anaconda at KD and was truly disappointed - it has nothing on Vortex, which offers a faster and more intense ride. The line for Vortex was about 15 minutes.

After this we headed to Flight of Fear, which had a pretty long line but it was moving steadily, we waited a little over half an hour. Is the video during the queue the same one they've always shown, or was there another one at some point? Again, maybe its just me but I rode this during my KD trip and the one at KI seemed smoother and faster. Great ride as always!

IT started to look like rain, so we headed to the car for lunch (I believe it was around 12:30-1pm at this time). We finished our meal and it started to sprinkle...then pour...then sprinkle...pour...etc. It rained for a good hour and a half, so we took a nap in the car as we waited for it to stop.

When we came back in we headed to Diamondback, which was closed for maintenance. Then headed to The Racer and had a great ride as always.

Next, Adventure Express and Delirium. I still get a kick out of AE, it brings up childhood memories of my dad convincing me it was a little kiddie ride (at this point i was pretty much afraid of anything with a lift hill higher than that of what is now Little Bill's Giggle Coaster) and since I couldn't see it from the entrance because of all the trees I believed him. :P

Flight Deck and Drop Tower were both closed at this point, FD due to the rain and DT for maintenance. It was lightly raining at this point, but not enough of to worry about.

We again headed back to DB, which had a 45 minute wait which we jumped on. We rode in the second seat of the train - I love this ride!

We came back and rode Flight Deck, but we were both pretty tired and headed out after that.

All in all, a good day at KI!

I've been to KD 3 times this season and I pretty much agree with you on all points. Our FOF is definitely smoother (I wonder if this has to do with the period of time it was SBNO under Paramount), Vortex is better than Anaconda (though being over water is cool) and their Crypt kicks our Crypt's butt.

To answer you question about the video, it's the same one they've always had.

Posted from my BlackBerry mobile device.

SBNO - Standing But Not Operating

I'm not sure why the video seemed different. It seemed like a whole bunch of different clips put together, but I remember seeing an interview of sorts that was black and white. Maybe I didn't watch it long enough today :)

The best part of the KD trip last week was Dominator. This was one of my favorite rides at GL and I was envious that KD got it and we got FH, because in my opinion - Dominator > Firehawk. Dominator is a ride that I can ride over and over again, while Firehawk is a ride I could easily pass up if the line was too long.

Nice TR. Glad you had a good time despite the pouring, sprinkling, and pouring rain.

^I agree with your "Dominator>Firehawk" statement. When I heard KI was getting X-Flight I thought it was pretty cool, but when I heard KD was getting Dominator I was pretty upset. One, because it's a better ride. Two, because King's Island needs a real multi-looper (not to demean Vortex). And also because it was my favorite ride at Geauga Lake. One night during an ERT session I easily rode it 20+ times (because their was always an empty seat).

I think I saw 3 KIC shirts today.

I was at the park yesterday(the 30th). I was wearing my KIC shirt. I saw one other person who was alone, riding Vortex. I thought the park was rather crowded yesterday given all the rain that came down. I was hoping to get some short waits on DB after the rain, but once I walked over there, I saw the queue line was nearly full. Even with the rain and the crowds, still had a great day at KI with friends and family.

IT started to look like rain, so we headed to the car for lunch (I believe it was around 12:30-1pm at this time). We finished our meal and it started to sprinkle...then pour...then sprinkle...pour...etc. It rained for a good hour and a half, so we took a nap in the car as we waited for it to stop.

That is weird for I was at the park from 9 am till 6:30 pm and got a few sprinkles one time but sunny 90% of the day. Must have just been the parking lot only, for I actually got a good sun burn Friday that I am still feeling.

That is weird for I was at the park from 9 am till 6:30 pm and got a few sprinkles one time but sunny 90% of the day. Must have just been the parking lot only, for I actually got a good sun burn Friday that I am still feeling.

I just checked my twitter history, during that time I was eating at RJ and rode DB 2 times, a little overcast, but never rained in that part of the park? I got sprinkled on for 5 minutes at about 2pm.

It was very scattered so that is definitely possible - there were a lot of pop up showers/storms in and around the area...when it would pour it would only do so for a few minutes...then sprinkle and some showers...but it was definitely happening in at least some parts of the park, because I saw quite a few people running from the front gates to their cars. And when we re-entered the park, we remarked how we were the only dry guests :)

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe I just now realized this. While it was certainly 7/31 when I posted this topic (12:46am) - my visit to the park was on 7/30 (Thursday).

Sorry for the confusion - guess that makes more sense :D

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe I just now realized this. While it was certainly 7/31 when I posted this topic (12:46am) - my visit to the park was on 7/30 (Thursday).

Sorry for the confusion - guess that makes more sense :D

OK, That makes a lot more sense to me! I was really confused. :o